Thought everyone would like to see this

Three Salmon Poachers Arrested after Early-Morning Chase

Three men suspected of poaching during the annual salmon run were arrested early Wednesday morning after leading police on a wild chase in the woods in Niagara County, the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) announced today.

The incident occurred just after 2 a.m. when DEC Environmental Conservation Officers (ECOs) were conducting a night patrol along the Lake Ontario shoreline and its tributaries.

ECOs Roger Ward and Nathan Ver Hague were checking the Burt Dam area of 18-mile Creek in Newfane when they noticed several large garbage bags piled on a pathway. The officers inspected the bags and found them loaded with freshly caught salmon.

At the same time, a pickup truck slowly drove by the area. Two men approached on foot and ECO Ward revealed himself and ordered the men to stop. The men took off running through the woods. ECO Ward apprehended one suspect hiding in the brush, but as ECO Ver Hague chased the other down to the creek, the man dove in and swam off. The Niagara County Sheriff's Department was called for assistance.

Deputy Matt Grainge responded and located a pickup truck a short distance away matching the description given by the ECOs. The driver was sitting inside awaiting a call from the other two men.

Deputies Keith Hetrick, John Vosberg and a K-9 officer tracked the suspect who swam across the creek and eventually located him attempting to climb up a gorge. He was taken into custody.

A total of 69 salmon ranging in size from 5 to 35 pounds had been poached from the creek, the subjects using a weighted treble hook and net to snag the fish.

The three men - Sergey Yatchuk, 41, of 55 Applewood Ln., Getzville, Petro Parfenyk, 29, of 2204 Prospect Ave., Erie, Penn., and Mikhail F. Sakalosh, 39, of 8322 Taylor Colquitt Rd., Spartanburg, S.C. - were charged with 32 violations, including fishing without a license, possessing foul-hooked fish, taking fish by snatching, taking fish in excess of daily limit, and illegal fishing at night.

The three suspects were remanded to the county jail in lieu of bail, $1,100 for Parfenyk and Sakalosh and $1,000 for Yatchuk.

They should put the screws to these guys, take their vehicles, phones, gear, search their homes and computers. I'd bet the ranch this is not their first time doing this. All fishermen/women should read this. Good job DEC!  

I agree.... look for any old evidence of pictures, unclaimed income 

I put thousands and thousands of dollars into my boat and gear. Hundreds of hours on the water every year. I try my best to do my part in making the lake better fishery. It makes my blood boil when I see / read about these low live, cheating, stealing, lying POS people. I think if there was a reward program for turning these outlaws in more people would pick up the phone.

Sent from my SM-S920L using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

This situation is a very good example of why law enforcement and the DEC conservation guys need and deserve our full support and not undeserved criticism. The unfortunate part of it is that our legal system (e.g. local judges) often does not seem to consider this type of thing a "priority" or important and merely dismisses the cases without adequate action (e.g. massive fines, incarceration, seizure of property etc.) to serve as a disincentive for these people who continue doing "business as usual" when they merely get a slap on the hand or nothing as a penalty. Many of these folks coming from authoritarian  countries like the eastern block countries are used to severe penalties in their own countries for such misbehavior and thus they think we have a weak system of monitoring and disposition once caught so there is no disincentive when they are reaping financial profits from their actions.

• 3 weeks later...

They should physically brand these creeps, make sure they can NEVER fish in NY waters again.  "Visitors" and guests to our country and state should be compelled to behave even better than the rest of us, but in our politically correct country this doesn't seem to be the mind set anymore.  5 years of PRODUCTIVE hard labor, followed by immediate deportation should be the minimum sentence.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If someone was starving and lifted a fish illegally to feed their family, thats understandable. These dudes were raping mother nature here. I hope they split them up and questioned them separately to get to the details of how many others involved, other locations, previous incidents etc.

• 1 year later...

I know these people personally and for everyone to say this stupid **** about how people choose to fish is a good example of why this country is going to ****. You don't know anyone's circumstances.  Get off the damn computer and find yourselves something to do. 

I don’t give a shyt if you know the pope first hand this wasn’t their first rodeo, chief. To start off on the wrong foot with your first post is going to get you nowhere fast!!! They raped and pillaged this river how many times till they had enough evidence to charge them, and they walked out of the Court house with a lot less than what they deserved. 

• Like 1

Times that 60 by 5-6 times by each on of your buddies!! Which they did!!, do the math. Evidently you have no clue how many fish they killed by not letting that many fish spawn or eggs stripped for a hatchery, now we are talking millions of fish they killed. You wanna go on?? If their your friends, I’d find another group of guys to hang out with. With a name like Mike Jones, or Scott Smith, I’d be will to bet your working under a false name also!!! No person in their right mind would support those guys in any manner on this site and say they support their actions because we don’t know their circumstances. The US. Government caters to foreign people in this county, they’d be eligible for government hand outs free food and money way before I would be able to, that’s for damn sure. Tell them to get a green card, then they’d get a free ride in this country!! They could stay in the nice warm house and check the mail box every 3 days for their free subsidies from this great country!!! That way could be nice and dry and warm!!

Edited by pap
  • Like 4

Glad to see more people think like me pap I had a tear in my eye when I read your post exactly what I was thinking reading mike jones bullshyt post I think dec needs to take a look in his tackle box too

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

4 hours ago, Mike jones said:

I know these people personally and for everyone to say this stupid **** about how people choose to fish is a good example of why this country is going to ****. You don't know anyone's circumstances.  Get off the damn computer and find yourselves something to do. 

THEY BROKE THE LAW, IF YOU THINK THIS IS OK THEN YOU BETTER TAKE A GOOD LOOK AT YOUR SELF.

Edited by Norm Moser
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Mike jones said:

How big of a problem is catching 60 fish anyways? Isn't there hundreds of thousands? 

Wow, that sounds like it comes straight out of a Russian troll farm, or maybe an Ukranian one. Pap, I think you are being baited

Edited by rolmops

2 hours ago, pap said:

Times that 60 by 5-6 times by each on of your buddies!! Which they did!!, do the math. Evidently you have no clue how many fish they killed by not letting that many fish spawn or eggs stripped for a hatchery, now we are talking millions of fish they killed. You wanna go on?? If their your friends, I’d find another group of guys to hang out with. With a name like Mike Jones, or Scott Smith, I’d be will to bet your working under a false name also!!! No person in their right mind would support those guys in any manner on this site and say they support their actions because we don’t know their circumstances. The US. Government caters to foreign people in this county, they’d be eligible for government hand outs free food and money way before I would be able to, that’s for damn sure. Tell them to get a green card, then they’d get a free ride in this country!! They could stay in the nice warm house and check the mail box every 3 days for their free subsidies from this great country!!! That way could be nice and dry and warm!!

yes Pap very well said!

• Like 2