Trespassers

whaler1

Definitely ask the neighbor. That might stop it right there. Also call the police and tell them there was a problem. If you know his name give it to the police. That way they know if they are called that the guy was warned and needs to be charged with a crime. Hopefully that works. But if you here a gun shot. Run back there as you call the police. Don't let him take any deer off the land. Tag it and keep it. Have him arrested. Have him pay for any damage from driving on property and any damage he had done to the tree he put a stand on. Do not give in. Not even an inch. Press charges and be at court and make sure he pays the price.

It's your property and prove it to law enforcement there are several excellent apps to show a game warden or state trooper how he is in violation.

It doesn't matter what the neighbors told him or anyone else outside your property . You are libel for anything that happens inside your boundary so make sure law enforcement gets involved before something stupid happens and you get in alot legal trouble.

Alot of awesome advice here by all!!

Long time ago I had a guy cut my ladder stand up in to 6" pieces of scrap metal and leave it at the base of the tree. When I got there at 5am and found my $200 stand laying in a neat heap. I got the idea I wasint wanted in the area. even though I had permission from the owner. Apparently was encroaching on someone and didn't know it. I got the hint and never returned.

Owning your own property definitely gives you more leverage to defend your ground but it can be even more frustrating. If someone can see a big buck from the road you better beleave they will be doing anything they can to get a Crack at it. I swear it brings out the stupid from way deep within when they see a set of horns.

I don't want to jinx myself, but so far so good. Having neighbors who are on the same page helps. Good fences make good neighbors, right? We all hunt, and we all have each other's number. Property lines seem to be respected. I was worried when we bought the place that there could be issues, given all the stories I've heard. I'll keep my fingers crossed and open lines of communication with the neighbors.

Hopefully your neighbor can shed some light on who this guy is, maybe have a word with him about property boundaries. The simple truth is that he can set up a stand on the line if that's what he wants to do. He can only shoot in one direction, though. You've got to hope he's an upright guy, but from your description I have my doubts. Good luck.

I think most people who own land have had issues with trespassers. Iv had cameras stolen wooden ladders cut in half with chain saw. That happened a while ago. As far as dealing with a person who has taken a buck off your property that is a nightmare. In order to press charges they get to keep the deer. If you dont let them have it you cant press charges. Then when you do. If first offense it is a slap in your face. I know 1st had talking with the DEC.

I had a few peeps that I ran off during deer season 4 or 5 years ago sneaking onto my back section of our property in Almond. As soon as I started hanging trail cams in the park spots and on all the main trails the trespassing stopped. I haven't had one stolen yet fairly remote back there I keep several old non operational rigs hanging in plain sight.

I think this helps alot and all kinds of signs all along the borders be obnoxious it looks like someone is serious.

I had a few peeps that I ran off during deer season 4 or 5 years ago sneaking onto my back section of our property in Almond. As soon as I started hanging trail cams in the park spots and on all the main trails the trespassing stopped. I haven't had one stolen yet fairly remote back there I keep several old non operational rigs hanging in plain sight.

I think this helps alot and all kinds of signs all along the borders be obnoxious it looks like someone is serious.

X2 on everything that you said. I do the same exact thing to a tee !!! Tons of signs and tons of cams!! I have many many bordering land owners and they constantly keep selling and I get new neighbors to deal with! I try to meet them as soon as possible and before deer season if possible and let it be known there is guys hunting in the back half of my land so no trespassing and if any of them hunt or will have hunters if a shot wounded deer crosses my stone wall fences to simply make sure I am called before anyone trespasses on my land and I will do the same in return. And I give them my cell number and its on my posted signs if anyone else back there needs it. Lol.

But I actually caught guys on four wheelers riding the first year I bought it during bow season. And got out of my stand and surprised them in a narrow trail and told them to shut them down!! Mind you I just put up a 100 posted signs !! " I said can u guys read?"

They looked at me real concerned !! Lol

Full camo and bow in my hand. Lol.

Next me : "you got to be kidding me you didn't see the posted signs ?"

No they said!!

Me: I looked and said really I just put them up !!

Long story short the one guy I caught trespassing a nieghbor from down the street is now my foreman and has worked for me for 10 years straight and we became great friend and hunting buddies.

First time we met he was a trespasser. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Edited by BigWilly

Years ago my father in law collected a stand from his clearly posted land, took it home, and left this note: I have the stand you MISTAKENLY set up on my private land. It can be picked up at my house by calling...

Never saw the guy

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Just bought land in Montezuma. Live some distance from land and found trespasser on trailcam with dog at 230pm. Clearly crossed my fence to trespass on main trail. Don't know who he is but clearly lives near land. Suggestions?

post-156200-0-23055200-1479093822_thumb.jpg

Edited by fmrdd0331

Post clear signs in the middle of the trail. All that grass makes it tough to figure out property lines. No excuses for trespassers. But make it easy to see when you're in violation. There's lots of old fences on public property; depending on it's condition, yours might not gather much attention from a wandering bird hunter.

Let me know if you need any help with those pesky ducks...I might know a guy  :rofl:  :rofl:

Many if not most of the things mentioned here relate to a central problem that is societal in nature and also related to a bunch of other things that are currently going on and that is the lack of respect for others and it isn't just prevalent in sports like hunting and fishing nor is it just characteristic of inexperienced youth and it is good reason for concern in terms of the future of our society.

Just bought land in Montezuma. Live some distance from land and found trespasser on trailcam with dog at 230pm. Clearly crossed my fence to trespass on main trail. Don't know who he is but clearly lives near land. Suggestions?

Looks like that hoax bigfoot footage from the west coast during the 70's.

Been hunting the same track out side of Millville Pa. for 12 yrs. The owner's let me post and patrol in exchange for hunting rights. Always been a problem area because a rural road cuts through the middle, about 600 acres. This year found 2 carcasses with heads cut off, a meth lab , numerous illegal dumpers, and trespassers. Have bullet holes in my stands, etc. I do it because there are more deer, bear, turkey, on property than squirrels. I mentor youth hunters, and take vets,and police hunting. They don't need to know the caos. Sometimes I would like to sit in my stands with an rpg, but that would put me in jail.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I have 43 acres my neighbor has TWO ACRES and hunts with a 308. We use to have a 10 to 12 doe throughout the property but not anymore. Word travel fast in a small town especially bragging about shooting 6 doe in one day. You can put up all the posted signs you want, but some people are just F'ed in the head when it comes to hunting season. Below is one email response from Albany DEC.

Thank you for your letter asking about hunting laws.

New York State law contains no minimum restrictions on acreage for hunting. There is a law, however, that prohibits the discharge of a firearm within 500 feet of a house or farm building without the permission of the owner.

In the case of your neighbor, she or he could only shoot a deer (or other game) on their own property. If they are taking game on your land, that constitutes trespass and you could prosecute your neighbor under New York’s trespass laws.

If you wish to pursue a prosecution, you should call our Environmental Conservation Police as soon as you detect any evidence of trespass. It is very helpful when filing a complaint to include all the factual information available to you, including time and date of the offense, and information describing any and all persons involved. Our Division of Law Enforcement has a 24/7/365 dispatch operator available toll free at 1-877-457-5680.

I hope that this is helpful.

Thank you.

Please note my new e-mail: [email protected]

Gordon R. Batcheller

Chief Wildlife Biologist

New York State Division of Fish, Wildlife & Marine Resources

625 Broadway

Albany, NY 12233

Owning land sure does have its headaches with these Yahoo!'s. I would suggest to anyone that doesn't like confrontation or to engage in the apprehension of a trespasser should think twice before they get into land ownership. As lowballer mentioned having a hunter do the dirty work by posting is a great idea Brownie I'd bet you'd have a waiting list of Lou members that would want to help take care of your issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app