Trespassers

whaler1

That's cool, I was hoping it would get resolved in a peaceful manner. If it didn't the old saying you can run but you can't hide, would be the only thing one could say about this situation!! There are folks from all over that use this forum.

It's the guys who won't give you their names that you know are up to their armpits in BS. First thing I always do is introduce myself. I've gotten lost in a swamp before and ended up in a neighbor's field; when a guy approached me I told him my name, where I hunt and what had happened. Turns out I'd pushed a ton of deer out, including a nice buck that they shot  :rofl: .

Pap, I hear you on the newbie neighbor. I just don't get why folks move in and feel the need to assert dominance. You catch more flies with honey than vinegar. When we bought our property there were treestands along two property edges. I introduced myself to the adjacent owners, told them that we'd be hunting with young ones so please don't shoot into the property, but that I'd try to place my stands at a sufficient distance to theirs as to not compete with them. Basically, I ceded the one entire edge of the property bordering a nice field to these guys, with the exception of a single stand that's 80 yards onto our property, so it's not even really "on the edge". And you know what? I have pretty good relations with the guys. They know we're in there so they don't hunt it as much as they used to, and it hasn't turned into some pissing contest. We keep each other posted on trail cam pics of nice bucks (mostly :rofl: ), and a simple text will suffice to track an animal. Good neighbors are worth their weight in gold.

Gator, great point. I had some unexpected events cause me to scramble and find property to hunt mid-season this year. Fortunately I found a small parcel to hunt in 7R. When I was walking the boundaries for the first time i got a little (like100feet ) over on the neighbors land. He happend to be hunting close by and came over to give me the what for.... I apologized, introduced myself, explained that i was walking the boundaries so that i would not encroach on future hunts. Long story short, i made a new friend. It always pays to upfront and respectful. Now i have a great neighbor. We all make mistakes. The only guy who was perfect they crucified, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Edited by EsoxAC3

Yea, gator you alway have one in every crowd, my problem I think is defiantly city minded, yesterday it sounded like the ISIS was training in Delbert's hollow, Delbert was a great man, a local butcher that we all knew first name basis, well there was way to much hell fire for me to stick my nose into. It's been quiet for 2 days but honestly I was in a little fear because the kids were scared, I moved them into the basement which is finished. If I can't figure this out he was well within a safety zone, but I'm not sure that pertains to target shooting. Even my neighbors wife come running over, she's one tough cookie, I mean this was close. So this will need more attention payed to this event!! Gator your a good man always trying to put the good forward. I admire your ways of thinking, I would like our paths to cross someday I'll always read your posts to find the middle of every situation. But I will say I was a little well, pretty much in mental overdrive to calm my daughters down as they were scared, it was rifle rounds and semi auto's at that. Pa did pass the use of semi auto's but I don't or hope not for big game, the rules were wrote for this years gun season before they passed this semi rule, so I would "assume" it's not for the 2016/17 season. Will keep you "POSTED" LOL

Edited by pap

I quit hunting when they changed the law to shoot buck or doe during buck season. What the heck do hunters need a auto loading rifle for?????? My son keeps a eye on the farm now don't miss the hassle.

I'm hoping the semi rifles are like the smaller arms like the AR's for predetor hunting, last night I couldn't find anything about it in the Pa. Rule books so it's easier to just go on line, there's lots of info, but what's the correct rule, I'm one that doesn't believe everything I read so still in limbo.

I know here I NY we can use semi auto guns to deer hunt with but the rifles can only hold 5 rounds

Sent from my Z981 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Holy shyt, I see guys on the state game lands that look like they just got done shooting a scene for Rambo!! Lord only knows what those jackass folks will do. I don't understand our game commission? For years they've been threatening us to go to buckshot guns now semi auto's. Soon I'm going to just fish, from my boat!!

Edited by pap

I live in NY have hunted PA and I am not a fan of the semi for deer season. As we all know we have hunters that are responsible and those that aren't. I am a full believer in that if a follow up shot is needed that you need to manually put another round in via a bolt or a pump, not just keep pulling the trigger.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I thought you couldn't use semi auto in PA?

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

Governor Wolf just signed the bill a few days ago, from what I've read and understand, is the semi gives a quicker follow up shot, and get this!! Only Pa. could come up with this piss poor excuse for a pansy ass, the semi allows younger or older folks to use 30cal. Rifles because the reduced recoil of the gas operated semi's. I learned to hunt with the most dangerous rifle if your a kid, my dads modle 94 Winchester. I only ever put 3 shells in at a time, because we used to put on little chases and every time you had to unload this damn gun I was nervous. After I turned 16 I was always a chaser and I'd get the thickest on your hands and knees part of every chase, I would always see the bucks but my pee shooter never made it to the deer. Well I ****ed and complained, that year Santa brought me a 45/70 for Christmas. If they were within 100 yards it was history in the making. Let the concrete kids touch that puppy off with 3 more behind it!! Lol.

My Dad had a 10ga double that we used goose hunting back in the 60's-- back when geese were rare in Michigan and not the nuisance they are now.

That bad boy shot flames a foot long, kicked like an angry mule and made your ears ring half the day.

Stupid thing weighed a ton and if not for sitting in a blind, would have been suicide to haul around. 

We used that gun until he had bypass and was afraid to shoulder the beast.

I never blamed him for getting rid of it...

OOYAA the 10 bore, I have one in a single pipe, what a ass kicking bloody nose giving peice of artillery!! I think they have the same punch as the 458 mag. The only way I can shoot that gun accurately is to hunt with it. If you want to target shoot or pattern the gun, the anticipation gets you every time. LOL

I had a single shot 10 ga used for turkeys , it shot 3 to 4" to the right , sold it and got a double it kill a lot of toms in the spring. still have it in the gun safe my son could never handle it way too much kick for him. The fact is semi loose some power (killing ) and do not kick as bad. Good luck today pap stay safe.

Edited by ERABBIT

Anybody have any creative ideas for catching trespassers and thieves with trail cameras?

I had my best trail cam stolen just before bow season opened this year. Last year one of my SD cards disappeared and several years ago I had some vandalism.

I am thinking about getting Moultrie mobile and a security box. I might even put a note out that makes them aware that their picture was already sent to me and unless they want to add vandalism/theft to the list, they should leave the camera alone.

The other option is to set up a decoy camera by using an old junk trail cam and then hide a good camera up high that monitors the junk camera.

I like option 1 even though it is more expensive. It seems like the chances are better of getting a good picture and giving them a big "F U" at the same time.

One of the things I noticed about trail cameras is they always seem to be projecting outward from what they are attached to.  It is kind of like the guy who puts his stand on the very edge in a tree that has no cover and wonders why he sees very few deer.   Try recessing one away from the trail and covered on all sides. 

Take two cameras.  One camera you mount high up the tree facing downward at the "bait" camera.  this is how they hohned in on Bucky.  He was destroying all of the cameras in the woods so they employed that tactic to get survelliance on him.

Option 1 is expensive but also one I would employ - it seems as though you have serious issues to address.  You could employ "wifi security cameras installed"  Next to your posted signs.  Sometimes the perceived threat is just as efficient as the real one.

Do you have the cable locks for them, my brother in law has those cables on all his camera's the cable is pretty heavy also, you would need a good cutter of some sort to get these off??

Anybody have any creative ideas for catching trespassers and thieves with trail cameras?

I had my best trail cam stolen just before bow season opened this year. Last year one of my SD cards disappeared and several years ago I had some vandalism.

I am thinking about getting Moultrie mobile and a security box. I might even put a note out that makes them aware that their picture was already sent to me and unless they want to add vandalism/theft to the list, they should leave the camera alone.

The other option is to set up a decoy camera by using an old junk trail cam and then hide a good camera up high that monitors the junk camera.

I like option 1 even though it is more expensive. It seems like the chances are better of getting a good picture and giving them a big "F U" at the same time.

Big leg hold traps around the tree!