Deer Processors

GAMBLER

There is a new guy on the west side of Rochester. He's just on the west side of Hilton he's on the corner of walker rd and Hamlin Parma town line rd,38 walker rd is the address.His number is 585-880-4638. $70

I used him yesterday after a recommendation. I was happy with the amount returned and his cuts of meat. The shop was clean and neat. I would use him again. Plus it's close and convenient for me

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Grizzly's in Hunt, NY (near south end of Letchworth)....   The best I have ever used by far.   The are a professional meat processing operation and hang the deer in a cooler for a 10 days+ before cutting.   Makes such a difference, like night and day....   Most places don't have the space to be able to age them..

I've always processed my own and my friends deer. I would take 1 a yr to a butcher to get it totally ground up but my lady bought me a big grinder last year so I can do all on my own now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Me too. I take my burger meat to the local market to get it ground. I am thinking about getting a few things made this year like kielbasa and maybe hotdogs.

Grizzly's in Hunt, NY (near south end of Letchworth)....   The best I have ever used by far.   The are a professional meat processing operation and hang the deer in a cooler for a 10 days+ before cutting.   Makes such a difference, like night and day....   Most places don't have the space to be able to age them..

Another strong recommendation for Grizzly's.  There is never any surprises, extremely well trimmed and packaged, well aged.  They are the best of the processors I have used in 46 years of deer hunting.

Grizzly's in Hunt, NY (near south end of Letchworth).... The best I have ever used by far. The are a professional meat processing operation and hang the deer in a cooler for a 10 days+ before cutting. Makes such a difference, like night and day.... Most places don't have the space to be able to age them..

They make hotdogs don't they?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I use flatlander-farms.com very happy with the cut. NO fat or silver skin. vacuum sealed and deboned. $75. They also has a partent that makes all the sausage and jerky with a fast turn around.

Kent ny . 15 min west of hamlin.

Silver Fox, I think your talking about Dale Copey. Lives off Lincoln Rd , north of Plank Rd. Not sure if he still does it but he's on here all the time. He'll jump in and let you know. Last few deer he has done for me were great. Family run business. (wife is the boss).

Thanks Dane I appreciate the kind words, we stopped processing 3 years ago due to my oldest heading off to college. She's a student athlete in a D1 school and she competes from October through April and we try to go as much as we can. I only know of Uncle Charlie on Harris rd in Webster and Smiths in Marion on the east side. Woody

Have used Smith's in Marion for 15 years and they are good:

1.) Meat is all boneless with excellent trimming

2.) They vacuum seal everything which I think is my favorite thing about them

3.) They make sausages and will add pork and/or beef to your ground

4.) Hours are poor during bow season (typically closed on Sundays and only open til 5PM on some but not all weekdays)

5.) "OK" at caping, they left me a little short a few times and beat up a nose on a mount last year

I just took a deer to Uncle Charlie's on Harris Rd. Webster yesterday and got it back today:

1.) Uncle Charlie himself is fantastic, super nice and proud of his work

2.) Super fast turnaround

3.) he'll hang the deer if you want

4.) You can drop off a deer anytime, his shop is always open for drop-offs, you put the sheet on the deer with the type of cuts you want and he'll cut it to your specs the next day or two. For me this was a huge plus yesterday

I used Larry's in Avon a few years:

1.) They were the biggest bunch of @#$%'s I've ever dealt with. Horrible service, yelling at customers, pissed that I needed a cape, etc etc

All that being said, nothing compares to butchering one yourself. It's so fun and you feel like you're "one with your harvest". Not to sound corny, but it's just a great way to get back to basics of hunting and harvesting

Chris

To take a deer to Larry's in Avon would be the absolute worst case scenario. I've used him twice in a pinch and out of convenience. Personally I've never had an issue but the horror stories from close friends is another thing. They all use Steele sausage in Avon and are way more happy

Have used Smith's in Marion for 15 years and they are good:

1.) Meat is all boneless with excellent trimming

2.) They vacuum seal everything which I think is my favorite thing about them

3.) They make sausages and will add pork and/or beef to your ground

4.) Hours are poor during bow season (typically closed on Sundays and only open til 5PM on some but not all weekdays)

5.) "OK" at caping, they left me a little short a few times and beat up a nose on a mount last year

I just took a deer to Uncle Charlie's on Harris Rd. Webster yesterday and got it back today:

1.) Uncle Charlie himself is fantastic, super nice and proud of his work

2.) Super fast turnaround

3.) he'll hang the deer if you want

4.) You can drop off a deer anytime, his shop is always open for drop-offs, you put the sheet on the deer with the type of cuts you want and he'll cut it to your specs the next day or two. For me this was a huge plus yesterday

I used Larry's in Avon a few years:

1.) They were the biggest bunch of @#$%'s I've ever dealt with. Horrible service, yelling at customers, pissed that I needed a cape, etc etc

All that being said, nothing compares to butchering one yourself. It's so fun and you feel like you're "one with your harvest". Not to sound corny, but it's just a great way to get back to basics of hunting and harvesting

Chris

2x

Uncle Charlie's and Smith's. I use both of them. But if you need caped then Charlie's, I had the same problem with a cape from Smiths.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I think that Steeles is a good choice, his variety of processed meats is the best.  I do my own and last year 50 from friends.  This last weekend was big for some nice bucks, deer from southern tier had lots of ticks, One deer had more then I  could count, I spray them with Raid and it worked quit and knocked them dead.  Spray the hide and not the meat, check them close, they live several days on the deer after its been shot.

I agree that Steele makes good product, but the two issues I've had in the past is that they want the same $$$ to simply debone the meat as to have it wrapped. I feel like a small break is justified, since there's not as much work involved and they're getting the business with it being made into product. Also, they asked me to hold my meat frozen until they called for it...which ended up being March/April. This happened twice. Luckily, I don't live far from them. They may operate differently now than they did then, 7 or 8 years ago.

I've used Larry's without issue a couple of times, but I know what other folks are talking about. They do a lot of business, but don't seem to be the most well run show in town.

I normally use Jay's between Stoney Point and Whittier roads on Rt 259 between Churchville and Spencerport. He has a big sign out front. He charges $65 for a basic package, $15 or so more for pork mixed in. The steak is paper and plastic wrapped, the ground is in baggies twist tied. He's fast and employs a small army come gun season, but there's no place to hang meat. It's convenient to me on the way home from our lease and my property, and I don't have any complaints.

Edited by Gator