Hunting teasers

Gill-T

1). You pull up to your hunting lease land. You look across a field and see a nice buck standing broadside 100 yards away tending a doe. You decide he is a shooter. You pull your car over off on the shoulder of the road and turn it off. Quiet as possible you slide out of the car, open the back door to access your gun. You remove the gun from it's case, load it, and take 10 steps 90 degrees away from the road towards the deer. You take a knee and are shocked to find the deer is still standing there. You squeeze the trigger and watch the buck take it's death march dying within sight. WERE YOU LEGAL?

2). You have decided you don't want to risk spooking a buck on opening day of gun season. Your plan is to take both your gun and bow into your stand with the idea of quietly shooting any does that come by with an arrow while having the security of having the gun handy if a buck comes by. ARE YOU LEGAL?

Edited by Gill-T

3). You have been scouting squirrels in an area near Rochester where hunting is legal. You have tagged out opening day of deer gun season but you want to still spend time in the woods so Thanksgiving morning you decide to take your .22 rimfire in the woods to get some squirrels for the stew pot. ARE YOU LEGAL?

4). Luck has found you. After knocking on some farmer's doors, you have secured permission to hunt a farm loaded with deer. The farmer is not one for words and merely muttered "you can hunt the farm." On your first hunt on the farm you are on your way out to the hardwood block out back. As you pass the last barn building you are surprised to see a nice shooter buck standing broadside in the middle of a field 100 yards away. A chip shot. You take a knee, take a deep breath and pull the trigger slowly on the end of your exhale position. The buck drops in its tracks. ARE YOU LEGAL?

5). You just bought a new Gore-Tex jacket. Unfortunately, the jacket did not come with rivets to put your backtag thru. Not wanting to put a hole in your new jacket, you decide to pin it to your backpack. LEGAL?

Edited by Gill-T

6). You just downed a beauty of a buck. Excited, you pull out your cell phone and immediately start snapping pictures of your buck to send them to your buddies. After receiving your texts, your buddy shows up to the kill sight and shares in the celebration with backslapping and more pictures. Next, you pull out your hunting knife, gut the deer and fill out the tag. You place the tag securely on the buck's leg with a zip tie. ARE YOU LEGAL?

Answers: 1). LEGAL. As long as you don't shoot from the car (non-handicapped) or shoot towards or across a road. You could shoot two feet off the shoulder as long as you are shooting away from it. This one causes a lot of phone calls to DEC officers to investigate by concerned neighbors.

Edited by Gill-T

Answers: 2). LEGAL. You can hunt with a bow during gun season.....you can hunt with a gun....you can hunt with both during GUN season. You cannot hunt with both during archery season.

Edited by Gill-T

Answers: 4). NOT LEGAL. Only family members or persons specifically given permission Can legally fire a gun within 500' of a farm building (outhouses excluded). Clear things up with the farmer beforehand.

Edited by Gill-T

Answers: 6). NOT LEGAL. Your deer tag must be filled out immediately before festivities begin. The law does allow for you to drag the deer to camp and then place tag on the animal but the tag has to be filled out and punched immediately.

Edited by Gill-T

Answers: 5). NOT LEGAL. Has to be on your back

Only in southern zone. Not required in daks...and if you never take pack off at all wouldn't that be outermost garmet?

And are you sure about deer I was alway understood it was as soon as transportation began including dragging which you could have in pocket to avoid loss...tag must be filled out yes....attached tho???

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Edited by stoneam2006

Only in southern zone. Not required in daks...and if you never take pack off at all wouldn't that be outermost garmet?

And are you sure about deer I was alway understood it was as soon as transportation began including dragging which you could have in pocket to avoid loss...tag must be filled out yes....attached tho???

Yep, you are correct. Adirondaks and Catskills don't require back tag display

My buddy is a DEC officer and he has told me tagging should be done immediately. You don't want the situation where a DEC officer comes upon you and an untagged animal. They deal with poachers not tagging deer all the time so they may not give you the benefit of doubt

Edited by Gill-T

Yep, you are correct. Adirondaks and Catskills don't require back tag display

My buddy is a DEC officer and he has told me tagging should be done immediately. You don't want the situation where a DEC officer comes upon you and an untagged animal. They deal with poachers not tagging deer all the time so they may not give you the benefit of doubt

Good info...

What about the bow and gun at same time? I was under impression you could carry any legal implement anytime in any number?

Got clarification on "law enforcement FAQs" on DEC website and found that I was wrong. You can have bow and gun during Gun Season but not during archery season. I will change the answer

Here is another that some may not consider.

You can transport your loaded muzzleloader on your ATV as long as the primer cap is removed.

Here's another interesting one. Your regular season (gun) Tag has method of hill boxes and bowhunting is a choice but tag is not good in bow season.

Reason is for bow only units. Also gun tag turns to either fun loving durring late season. And NYC area has all sorts of wierd use rules with it that I'm not familiar on.

And 1 more.

In order to crossbow hunt you must purchase the muzzleloading privilege as of right now. You do not need a bow course. If you do not have the bow privilege or cannot get it bc you don't have the class the crossbow is only for antlerless only as that's the tag you get for muzzleloader privilege.

#1. I had a friend lose his license for a year after jumping out of his vehicle, taking some number of steps off the road, loading his shotgun, and then shooting a coyote..... not sure how many steps. But the issue had to do with the "maintained" portion of the road, not how many steps he was off the road..... He had permission to hunt there, and was not within 500 feet of a dwelling, and was not shooting across the road......The DEC officer was on site later with a tape measure trying to determine how far off the center-line of the road the shooter was when he discharged the gun......

My advice would be not to do #1.

Answers: 6). NOT LEGAL. Your deer must be tagged immediately before festivities begin.

You are wrong.

The tag needs to be filled out immediately, with the date cut out. However, you are not required to actually attach the tag to the deer until you get back to camp or your vehicle. Perhaps it's semantics, but it sounds like you mean "attach the tag" when you say tagged.