Hunting teasers

Gill-T

Laws exist to compensate for the lack of common sense in some of the population but those same laws will always fail to achieve the same level of those with good common sense.  But even with this glass half empty statement it would be terrible wiithout them because common sense does not prevail in all of us and those that lack it can do a lot more damage without restraints.

We probably all know of at least one story where somebody got pinched and they were otherwise considered to be a law abiding sportsmen but they made a moral/ethical judgement instead of a legal one.

#1. I had a friend lose his license for a year after jumping out of his vehicle, taking some number of steps off the road, loading his shotgun, and then shooting a coyote..... not sure how many steps. But the issue had to do with the "maintained" portion of the road, not how many steps he was off the road..... He had permission to hunt there, and was not within 500 feet of a dwelling, and was not shooting across the road......The DEC officer was on site later with a tape measure trying to determine how far off the center-line of the road the shooter was when he discharged the gun......

My advice would be not to do #1.

In PA. You must be 30ft off the road (BUT) you must measure LOL 12ft from the middle to where 12ft ends, which in some of the back roads might be beyond the telephone pole or in a farmers field. It does NOT mean thirty paces off the blacktop or the edge of the road. How do I know this?? Well I was standing off the road about 50ft on a old dirt road that does get maintained by the township, here comes the most hated crooked game warden that ever worked for the Pa. Game, Comm. he wrote me up for being to close or NOT 30ft off the road. $300.00 fine, which I argued, I'm more than 30ft. He said sign here, if you can write since you can't measure. HHMMM. I dropped a shell casing where I was standing and took a pic of him giving me the third degree, the pic. was from his waist down. I fought it in court and won, my wife's friend from collage is a lawyer, and my pic. is what the district magistrate went by, and she was a local and knew the area. My fine got thrown out. But now this arsh is into the Fish Comm. so ya the middle of the road, 12ft then 30 big paces and your good. In Pa.

You are wrong.

The tag needs to be filled out immediately, with the date cut out. However, you are not required to actually attach the tag to the deer until you get back to camp or your vehicle. Perhaps it's semantics, but it sounds like you mean "attach the tag" when you say tagged.

Thanks. I clarified the answer.

If during the special hunting zone in Tompkins county yes.

Long Island has bow-only zones open til January 31st. Some great state park hunts are available for those willing to make the drive to get your deer-fix satisfied.

Long Island has bow-only zones open til January 31st. Some great state park hunts are available for those willing to make the drive to get your deer-fix satisfied.

It's also the reason why regular season tag has a bowhunting option on it. Is for the bow only areas. And if I'm not mistaken (very well could be) you can use that tag in those bow only areas any time deer is open including early season

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Not s

#1. I had a friend lose his license for a year after jumping out of his vehicle, taking some number of steps off the road, loading his shotgun, and then shooting a coyote..... not sure how many steps. But the issue had to do with the "maintained" portion of the road, not how many steps he was off the road..... He had permission to hunt there, and was not within 500 feet of a dwelling, and was not shooting across the road......The DEC officer was on site later with a tape measure trying to determine how far off the center-line of the road the shooter was when he discharged the gun......

My advice would be not to do #1.

Was the incident in New York? I asked my DEC buddy again and he said you can be one inch off the shoulder of the road and fire. You can even shoot along the road as long as you bullet never crosses over the road space. You are responsible for your bullet. Again, not good practice to shoot near roads even when legally done. If grandma is in her nearby farmhouse and wets her pants when someone nearby opens fire, she is likely to call the cops or the landowner. In either case you will have to take time out of your hunting day to answer questions or perhaps face losing hunting privileges from the neighbor farmer who granted them if he thinks you are unsafe.

Regarding shooting from just off the road..... I was a Sportsmans Education Instructor for the DECs hunter safety program for awhile. This is going back maybe 15 yrs. At the time we were teaching that you couldn't shoot from the maintained portion of the road. That included the shoulder, drainage ditches or any part maintained, which includes areas mowed by the highway department.

I suspect each Officer is going to have a different threshold of where they will ticket.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Yes, there is verbiage in the law about NOT shooting from the road, the shoulder, culverts or drainage ditches so including improved or maintained areas where the grass is mowed by highway departments as within that safety zone from which you cannot shoot from would make sense.

Same as Pa. But they put a numerical figure in there, as the law was in favor for the guy in uniform, didn't matter what the hunters side was. As in my post above. Only differance for me is I could measure and write. LOL.

• 2 weeks later...

Threads been down for a while but I've thought about this one a lot for some reason.

You shoot a deer right before dark on the last night of bow season but you're not confident in the shot and wait until the morning to look. If it's a buck which tag do you use bow or gun? If it's a doe and you have no doe permits do you use your bow/muzzleloader tag or is it coyote food (by law not morals)?

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United