Question about dipsey diver

moonfish

I have a small boat with small setup. I'm interested I directional divers and divers that will reach 50-75fow minus the big pull. I do not own dipsy rods but do own 7' medium heavy rods. Mainly troll finger lakes or trib. Primarily walleye & trout.

I have never owned dipsys and need to know some things. What is the significance in dipsy color ? What brand would you recommend ? Any insight is helpful. I'm trying to learn. Thanks

The rings control depth correct ? I really would like the directional divers. Get them out off the boat wakes and make room for other rod maybe. I have a small boat, troll motor only. I really appreciate your input on color though and makers tho.

I have a small 14 foot boat with narrow beam I run 4 divers and 2 down riggers out of. Have never used anything but dipsy divers but have no complaints with them. The mag rings are alot more pull than a standard ring I would rather run a standard ring. You can achieve the depths you are looking for with a standard ring. Also make sure you run wire or braid on the diver rods way to much stretch in mono. I personally like divers better than riggers just.my personal preference. post-153282-14788306894978_thumb.jpgpost-153282-14788307380881_thumb.jpgpost-153282-14788307380881_thumb.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I run Power Pro on all my Dipsy Rods, if you go with a 5ft rod on the inside, which you could run a lead core rod, which could double as a dipsy rod and a 7/8ft dipsy rod that could double as a lead core also, run a dipsy which would meet your needs on the 3 setting, usually a mag is used on the outside to achieve the desired depth on a three setting. Use a smaller dipsy on the inside rod on a 0-1 setting to achieve your depth. Then just duplicate your setup on the other side. Some of my rods I have are used as multi purposes. I can change reels of leadcore out for a dipsy or vise-versa. Some guys will disagree as they want a set up for every situation. That's fine, but my budget doesn't allow that, so I need to a little versatile. I know the there are dive charts for each dipsy on the package, if you ever need a chart for differant lines and speeds, let me know I have all the trollers bibles ever made by Mark Romanack, just PM me and I'll send them to ya!! Good luck this season. Also check out the new Bay Rat lure colors, they look awesome for spring Browns. Good luck with everything!! PAP

Edited by pap

The rings control depth correct ? I really would like the directional divers. Get them out off the boat wakes and make room for other rod maybe. I have a small boat, troll motor only. I really appreciate your input on color though and makers tho.

The Rings Increase Diameter. That Allows The Diver To Dive Deeper For Given Amount Of Line. However The Slip, crack, fall Off. Rather Just Buy A Bigger, solid Walker Diver.

I bought a boat load of dipsies off guys on LOU, now I know why, everyone is switching over to the Walkers, now as I loose one here and there I've been replacing them with walkers, I have enough dipsies to last me a long time but I have replaced some of the mag sizes and the 1-2 sizes, the popular ones. I still have a lot of the odd sizes. That's ok by me. They still work.

• 3 weeks later...

Where can I purchase the chinook divers? Nobody are my hometown carries them, last but not least would be Fat Nancy, I would prefer to buy elsewhere.

He has them on ebay and they have a website you can order from, and definitely order a size 1 !!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by minion

He has them on ebay and they have a website you can order from, and definitely order a size 1 !!

Thanks Minion, ya I saw the main sight, and I was browsing seems everything routed me to EBay, thanks I will invest in a few, I guess I'll have to stop at fat Nancy they're supposed to handle them, I would like to see it first.

When you guys are running the chinook divers, say 2 rods out each side other than the #1 what other sizes do you prefer on the inside rod? What's better about the chinooks then the dipsy diver if you don't run the ring? How about setting the tension on the release? Thanks for any input PAP

When you guys are running the chinook divers, say 2 rods out each side other than the #1 what other sizes do you prefer on the inside rod? What's better about the chinooks then the dipsy diver if you don't run the ring? How about setting the tension on the release? Thanks for any input PAP

The only advantage I have found with the Chinook over others is they have a lot less drag while fighting the fish and easier to retrieve. The down fall is I don't think they get quite as deep as they claim when you trying to fish deep. But at that point I switch to the 124mm walker diver when I'm targeting 90fow + I know for a fact those can dive over 100fow+ pulling a flasher

And I do not run the Chinooks 2 per side ... don't like the idea of 2 stainlesss disks running tight together for fear of cutting leaders etc. in the event of a tangle or fish... chances are slim but there's days that everything can and does go wrong lol

Edited by minion

I use both the Walker 124mm's and the # 4 Chinooks and run the 124s next to the boat deep on zero or one and the Chinooks to the outside as they don't go as deep and then run a 250 or 300 copper down the chute without problems. I have had the Walkers hit bottom at 151 ft. in the past so they are capable of very deep penetration. I think the Chinooks may wander to the side a bit more than the Walkers regardless of settings and with less water resistance but if forced to choose between the two options I would keep my Deep Divers every time.

Edited by Sk8man

Gotcha, yea I can see that being a problem, I never gave that a thought!! Thanks!! I guess I'll purchase 2 #1's just to see how they work. I'll run my dipsys till in out of them, I'll be pushing daisies before that happens!! LOL. Thanks Minion for the info.