Am I the Only One Left?

tman12

Who else is still bass fishing? I've been reduced down to about 2 days a week now due to weather and it getting dark so early. Bite has slowed way way down. Got a couple the other day but didn't manage and today during a brief stint.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I sneaked out onto lake Ontario when ,with the southern winds, the water under the bluffs was quiet. I was aiming for browns,but while trolling, I caught some bass only and no browns. They were released.

My son and his partner came in second by an ounce Sunday in a tourney on Canadarago. Their bag had 4 big smallies and a small largie. My son has done very well with smallies on small but heavy bass jigs with small kitechs and drop shotting the same kitechs. They worked the drops keeping the boat in 10-12 fow and making long casts into the deep and jigging up the hill. I don't have a pic of that bag, but I'll post one of some 6-7 pound Erie tanks from last week. These were caught similarly but much deeper...40-80 fow.

Justin Okrepki

NYSDEC licensed guide #7324

otiscolakeguideservice.com

(607)-349-1750

post-151276-14793304792344_thumb.jpg

Available daily sunlight, water temps below 50, and bait fish are determining factors for transitioning bass. Winter is right around the corner. Your best chances are what others have stated, IMO start in 15 fow on structure/ledge/ point/ dropoff etc. Cast shallow and if no good go deep. Or just go deep. They are transitioning to winter homes. We saw fish finder filled with fish in 25 fow on sodus Sunday. I would target smallies. They tend to be more active than largeies in cooler water.

may I ask how a bass does after being brought up from 50' to 80' of water?

I'm guessing those are catch and keep fish?

I saw on inffisherman or angling edge ? smallies that were caught deep, they used hypodermic needle to relieve bladder. Not that I would do it, unless I was taught. Then they released them immediately. Was interesting.