Deer search

scobar

• 2 weeks later...

How is your season of tracking going? I have had over 15 calls for tracks,unfortunately not able to respond due to dog. Over the years we usually found about 15-20% of the deer. Most guys are great trackers so the ones you are looking for are most likely alive.

Edited by Nautitroller

Very disappointed with opening day of crossbow. We usually see a few calls weekdays and 8 or so on weekends, opening of crossbow we had 41 calls come it. It looks like crossbow hunters think they have a gun in their hands, very sad

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Unfortunately that doesn't suprise me one bit! Exact reason why I am anti cross bow. Alot of people think they are Fred Bear all of a sudden. I know way to many people who have never bow hunted before and we're in the woods this year because they had a cross bow.

I have to disagree. I do disagree that a bow course is not needed. I have said that all along. I have bow hunted for 22 years and I just got a crossbow. I do not get to hunt much anymore but a few days a year. I love to be in the woods during bow season. But I have also ate the last 8 years of tags. The one day I got to go out during bow"crossbow" was Wednesday before gun. And I was able to harvest a big doe. We as sportsman need to stick together not fight about what is right to hunt with. I personally only gun hunt with a muzzleloader. Does that mean everyone else is wrong? No of course not. I remember when rifle opened up in the county I used to hunt I found a crap load of dead deer from heroes that could not shoot the same goes for shotgun. I know I have killed my fare share of deer with arrow shafts and broadheads in them, from bad bow shots. pre crossbow. Does that m

x 2 if it were a gun would you be a anti gun hunter alot of guys young and old can not shoot a compound why would any one want to take away there right to bow hunt a crossbow is the same thing as a compound with out haveing to draw still need pratice and no the distance it is not as simple as a gun like every anti crossbow thinks

A crossbow is nowhere near the same as a compound. You point and shoot with a scope, up to 100 yds with a crossbow. You have to draw at the right time with a compound, without getting busted, and my shots are limited to 40 yds as that is what I'm comfortable shooting. There's no comparison.

My issue with it is not necessarily the weapon it's with SOME of the people that use them! I've heard WAY to many people say "hell if I can use a cross bow I'm going to start "Bow Hunting" , plus I don't even need to take the archery coarse like you did! " Shoot a few arrows and say they can shoot out to 70 yards no problem! And most have never set foot in the woods before!! Hell I even know a guy that MISSED 3 deer with his compound this season and decided to pick up his X Bow because he couldn't make contact other wise Up until a few seasons ago you literally had to be a paraplegic in order to be granted permission to use a x bow now anyone can? How does that work? Again do your time, be a deer hunter and do your practice and I could care less what weapons are used if it is legal. But know matter what it still draws riff raf!

From reading the above posts and recovering deer for poor placed shots, I believe the problem with crossbows is the lack of practice and knowing what the tool will or WILL NOT do. A bow of any kind is not designed to shoot at moving targets let alone running. After interviewing the hunters with the poor placed shots I am finding "lack of practice" and shooting at moving targets with a bow and arrow device as the biggest problems. Sure they are fast for a arrow but very very slow if its a running target.

i can say that age and how many pounds the bow is on don't have a dam thing to do with it if you are a person with a disability or handicap that dont let you draw a bow dont matter the age of the person if your against idiots useing a crossbow and abuse it im with you but dont be agenst the wepon theres been manny deer lost to gun hunters as well as bow hunters also this thread never said all 41 calls were all from crossbows just because it opened dont mean there all from crossbows we as sports man need to stick together and support one anouther regardless of wepon of choice and for any one who says you just point and shoot a crossbow obviously has never hunted with one you have to shoot just like a compound you still have to pick your shot and no the range and any one who has shot a compound and put in the time to pratice can hit just as well with a compound as a crossbow

That's all I am saying. I don't agree you don't need bow course. As for able to kill deer at a 100 yards that involves ethics. At one time I could keep 6inch groups at 75 with a bow. Did I feel the need to shoot at a deer past 30? No. And the fact is not matter what weapon is being used there's always the idiots that don't practice. Heck I know a bunch of guys that bought flat shooting rifles with the thought of making long shots. sorry boy's it doesn't work that way. You have to put your time in at the range. whether gun,bow or crossbow. And for all the wounded deer with a crossbow. tell me how many deer are found after deer season pre the evil crossbow. I know I have found a ton over the years. That picture of the doe that was posted on here not that long ago sure did look like a arrow to me. to each there own. It's the idiot behind the trigger not the tool being used.

Edited by skipjack

Let me start by saying I use a crossbow in the woods. Crossbows need to be treated the same as a bow when shooting a deer. Guys that think long shots are ok to take are irresponsible! You can hit a bullseye at 75 yards no problem with them but there are too many variables in the woods. You should not be taking shots any further with a crossbow than you do with a compound. Deer still jump the string due to the fact they are loud when they go off. Don't punish the crossbow hunters that are responsible and only take responsible shots.

Let me start by saying I use a crossbow in the woods. Crossbows need to be treated the same as a bow when shooting a deer. Guys that think long shots are ok to take are irresponsible! You can hit a bullseye at 75 yards no problem with them but there are too many variables in the woods. You should not be taking shots any further with a crossbow than you do with a compound. Deer still jump the string due to the fact they are loud when they go off. Don't punish the crossbow hunters that are responsible and only take responsible shots.

X2 on this!! I had 3 chances to fire my new crossbow at deer this year and passed not totally confident on my shot placement . Off hand is a serious challenge and I need more time. This thing is way way more powerful than any compound bow but I still don't feel at all like I have extended my range . Why do crossbow hunters feel this way? Still a 30-40 yard max for me . I did take a huge porcupine we have several eating up our trees on the property . This one was roosted well up about 35 feet or so the cross hair and bolt did a job on him. I don't think I would have taken a shot with the bow gear . I am totally for a crossbow class of some sort not freaking 2 days of blah blah either keep it short and informative these weapons are very unique.

I have no idea why guys think they can be used for long shots. Is it because they are classified as a muzzleloader? I'm not sure. After buying one and shooting it before hunting with it, i figured out really quick that you need to treat it as a bow. Unfortunately, there are people that will go buy one and not be responsible.

I heard crossbows are hard to shoot offhand, that braced they are deadly but for the novice offhand accuracy is harder than a bow.

I bought one for my 75 yr old father for his birthday. Like you said they are hard to shoot off hand. The trigger is VERY heavy due to the necessity of holding back the immense draw weight. It takes so much force to pull the trigger that you invariably pull yourself off target. They are also very front heavy which at first doesn't sound all bad but we all know what its like trying to stay steady off hand with a gun let alone the added weight of a crossbow.

The second thing that I believe gets overlooked consistently is range estimation. Once you get out past 30 yds it becomes exponentially more difficult to judge distances accurately, thus the ratio of poor shots increase. Get a rangefinder!

A crossbow is nowhere near the same as a compound. You point and shoot with a scope, up to 100 yds with a crossbow. You have to draw at the right time with a compound, without getting busted, and my shots are limited to 40 yds as that is what I'm comfortable shooting. There's no comparison.

You couldn't be farther from the truth. I hunted over 30 yrs with vertical bows of all kinds, killed over 100 bucks. But when your body gives out, and shooting a bow can't be done, doesn't matter. Thats what put a Crossbow in my hand. Been four years and I can guarantee, Hunting with a Crossbow is no, yes I said NO, Easier. Off a rest it's easy, 40 yards. Off hand , I was as good with my verticals. 100 yards. Ya Right. Can you shoot that far, yep. But so can you with a compound. Just takes a little more practice. I never had a problem drawing my bow, on Deer ever, and it's actually easier to shoot 360 with a compound out of a tree. Take one in the woods and you will change your mind. Hopefully it doesn't take what it took me. I really love my crossbow. Somerhing I didn't even think about five years ago.

1015162233_HDR1.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Lake Ontario United mobile app