Deer search

scobar

There are some x-bow fanatics out there that claim the cross bow when tuned like a muzzy, meaning they use certain bolts with certain length and certain grain tip and type of tip can kill accurately out to 100yds.  I am not one of those that put a lot into it and 40 yds is extremely accurate and I feel comfortable with that shot.  After that I would probably defer.  Wounding deer is extremely not fun for me.  I have said it before, everybody has to know their (personal) limitations.

This year my discharge bolt got all the work out - I never had a chance to make a decision.

Let me start by saying I use a crossbow in the woods. Crossbows need to be treated the same as a bow when shooting a deer. Guys that think long shots are ok to take are irresponsible! You can hit a bullseye at 75 yards no problem with them but there are too many variables in the woods. You should not be taking shots any further with a crossbow than you do with a compound. Deer still jump the string due to the fact they are loud when they go off. Don't punish the crossbow hunters that are responsible and only take responsible shots.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Yep, don't be a hater on the crossbow. Be a hater on the ethics. Ethically, from what I hear is no more than 50 yds. We should Probably take a step back at the 75-100 comments. The dudes shooting that are dicks.

Lake Ontario salmon fishing charters

Not saying you can't shoot 100 yards, and kill. But really it's as realistic as shooting a compound 100 yards. I want to see someone off hand put 3 arrows in bull at 100 yards. Especially in hunting situation. I can't even see that far, lol. Deer can move a long way in the time it takes for an arrow to get there no matter what you are using. More of a poor ethics thing in my book.

Sent from my XT1254 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Great thread and have enjoyed reading it. I went to a crossbow 5 years ago because of age and shoulder problems, and have taken a few deer with it. A couple things I can add to this, first you need an accurate rangefinder, second a solid rest, I use my knees and cup the bow, no offhand shots, third is wind plays hell with the light bolts, 50 yds. max for me. I had a monster at 50 yds this year for 45 minutes, had 2 lanes to shoot him, a solid rest, he never stopped in one, so I passed. 100 yds shots are not feasible either. It's basically the same as a bow to me, I look for shots 30 yds and in, can I shoot 50 yea, in a perfect condition. The problem with the crossbow infusion is people that never bow hunted are now hunting with the crossbow, using rifle metality out there. IMHO

before season starts don't just  shoot in a  target at 20  and 30  yards chances are deer wont stop   at 20  yards bring a   deer target with you in the  woods place it all  different  places you can practice shooting  from  t your   stand  it will help you in the long run be a better archer and a more humane  harvest you owe it to the animal you are hunting

My mom is 70 and she just started hunting with a crossbow instead of a compound. She has a ten point and I agree the trigger pull is perfect for her.

As far as comparing compound bows and crossbows, a crossbow is much easier to shoot no matter the distance. My mom is all over the target with her compound but dead nuts with the crossbow. She can rest it and she can easily shoot while sitting. She can wait for the right shot and not worry about drawing early and holding or letting down and drawing again.

The 2 weapons are not even close to equal but that is just my .02.

That being said, you will have to pry my compound from my cold dead hands.

Edited by reeleyz

My mom is 70 and she just started hunting with a crossbow instead of a compound. She has a ten point and I agree the trigger pull is perfect for her.

As far as comparing compound bows and crossbows, a crossbow is much easier to shoot no matter the distance. My mom is all over the target with her compound but dead nuts with the crossbow. She can rest it and she can easily shoot while sitting. She can wait for the right shot and not worry about drawing early and holding or letting down and drawing again.

The 2 weapons are not even close to equal but that is just my .02.

That being said, you will have to pry my compound from my cold dead hands.

They are not the same but should be treated the same as far as distances you shoot a deer with. I don't like anything over 40 yds with mine.

This is pathetic....... to bow and xbow hunters! The both of them are not to code of original bow hunting. LONG BOW is (true bow hunting) . So the both can shut it. Cams???? What's a cam on a long bow. U BOW HUNTERS MUST BE CHEATING THEN.

This is it, u get 1 buck tag for bow . I don't care what u use... fill your tag and get out of my woods.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

For what its worth, way back at the top of this post I mentioned 41 new calls came in on opening day of Xbow. I cleared 11 of the calls, not tracking just qualifying them to see if tracking may a doable option. Of the 11 calls 9 were with a cross bow.

In my opinion, and this I believe proofs it, a NYS class is needed on cross bows 

Edited by scobar

KINETIC ENERGY HUNTING USAGE
25 ft. lbs. Small Game
25-41 ft. lbs. Medium Game (Deer, Antelope)
42-65 ft. lbs. Large Game (Elk, Black Bear, Boar)
65 ft. lbs. Big Game (Cape Buffalo, Grizzly

recently came upon a series of figures distributed by the North American Bowhunting Coalition comparing the trajectory and kinetic energy of modern crossbows and modern compound bows. At first glance, the differences appear rather significant.

The trajectory of crossbows and compound bows was similar out to about 25 yards, and then they diverged dramatically. The crossbow bolt was only about four inches low at 50 yards while the compound’s arrow had dropped to 40 inches. At 70 yards, the crossbow bolt was 20 inches low, compared to 120 inches for the compound arrow. And at 100 yards, the crossbow bolt had dropped only 60 inches compared to 240 inches for the compound arrow.

The differences in kinetic energy were even more dramatic. The crossbow started at 190 foot-pounds, compared to 70 for the compound. At 100 yards, the crossbow bolt was still carrying 140 foot-pounds of energy, while the compound arrow was down to a mere 40 foot-pounds — an astounding difference.

Bottom line is that any hunting weapon in the wrong hands equals wounded deer. Conversely in right hands somewhat amazing shots can consistently be made. It isn't the distance of the shot that makes for ethical hunting. What really makes ethical hunting is practice and being totally aware of your own capabilities with the equipment you use. To use a fishing analogy a charter boat might run a dozen lines and everything runs smoothly with no tangles, but a weekend warrior might find running 6 lines a challenge. It's all about the effort you put into mastering your craft and today many sportsman put in minimal effort and think because they have equipment capable of doing something that they automatically can. Equipment is available for long range hunting, but the manufacturers don't tell you only 1 in 100 people have the skill and time to actually do it. I try to practice at up to double the distance I plan to hunt. Know your limits and stay with in them and we don't even need a thread like this... Crossbows, compound bows, long bows, rifles, shotguns, muzzloaders, and handguns don't wound deer...hunters do!

Justin Okrepki

NYSDEC licensed guide #7324

otiscolakeguideservice.com

(607)-349-1750

Some good points with the crossbow. Iv bow hunted for 30 + yrs. Last yr i injured my shoulder and couldn't pull my bow back enough. So i went out and purchased a crossbow. Well if u practice they are a great tool. I was lucky enough to take a buck at 10yrds with mine. I dont care how good a archer you are there is no reason to be shooting at a deer past 50yrds with bow or cross bow. Way too many things can happen. Some people feel they are mr wonderful and shoot that distance. Well i bet they have injured there fair share. Im sure also under the perfect conditions it will and has been done.

My .02 is if it keeps people buying licenses and enjoying the outdoors I don't care if u want to hunt with a spear. If it gets the youth of today in the woods and off the electronics, bring it.

Exactly. More people should look at it this way instead of the someone is going to shoot my deer attitude.