Downrigger weights

Hi guys,

Lake O is new to me, I was able to go out twice this year from NH with my boat. I troll in NH and on lake Champlain and use 10lb shark shaped downrigger weights.

While on Lake O, I wanted to troll for lakers as well as salmon. Problem is I was having HUGE blowback issues. the 10lb weights just didn't seem to cut it for me, I also tried the Cabelas 12lb Pancake style weights. I ended up tangling them around each other, I am going to attribute that to bad driving, but I've noticed they just do their own thing and never seem to track well.

What SHOULD I be using if I want to get down and stay close to vertical on Lake O. I've seen the big fish shaped weights at Fat Nancys and All Seasons also has ones that look like missiles. What shape is preferred for best tracking and what weight? I know they had 17lb ones and 20lb weights I believe.

Also in case anyone asks, I have electric Cannon Digitroll 10 TS for downriggers.

also anyone know a better source to buy them than the $90+ each at the stores.

Thanks!!

Edited by SmellsLikeFishNH

On Lake O you want 12 lb minimum weight.  I think torpedo offers some of the lowest blowbacks pound per pound due to its shape which will keep drag to a minimum.

If your rigger can handle it, try a 16 lb torpedo which will basically reduce blowback to a small amount, still will be some, but you'll probably be within 5 ft or so of target.

I've tried pancakes, hate them.

Cannon balls are okay, but still way more blowback than torpedo weights.

Cable diameter and also the way in which the cable is terminated all contribute significantly to blowback.  In a rigger you want a hydrodynamic shape as well as to minimize the total cross sectional area of material that is submerged which includes rigger weight, release, method of termination, and cable itself.  John King makes a thinner rigger cable which is nice when fishing deep and isn't too bad with the fleas. 

FishUSA.com has the 17lb sharks weights for 90.00 and that includes shipping. Your cannons are rated for 20lbs but I wouldn't go over 17. We use the 17s for deep water and anything above 75' the 15s are put over. Its suggested not to mix the brands your using as they will track different than the Sharks.

bikinibottom and Troutman87  here on LOU both make real good quality ("missles" :lol: ) weights at a fair price and they are both reputable guys that nobody should hesitate doing business with. Always good to support our guys when we can anyway. :) bikinibottom weights do resemble sharks and come in  custom colors.. Both types cut through the water real well.

Edited by Sk8man

bikinibottom and Troutman87 here on LOU both make real good quality torpedo type (missles :lol: ) weights at a fair price and they are both reputable guys that nobody should hesitate doing business with. Always good to support our guys when we can anyway. :)

X2

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Troutman's torpedos are sweet sleek torpedo type weights that just plain works, no frills you get what you pay for, which is a great priced weight, I painted mine flat black. They track excellent with little to no blowback running 12#ers and no blowback with the 15#ers. Also the man is a pleasure to deal with. Troutman's got my business.

#

Get in touch with Bikinibottom @  607 346 4782,

His Shark shaped weights are top notch. Depending on the time of the year he gets real busy, but he'lll always get back to you. His prices are much better than buying shark weights from the big box retailers and you won't be disappointed  with the performance of his products. I'm sure Troutmans stuff is good too, but I just have't bought from him yet like others have done here on this site.

Pancake weights just don't work with the existing currents in Lake O. Ask me how I know :>)). 

Boat Safe,

Egoody