Doing something very wrong on Keuka..... any help?

Water level down as usual in the winter but if use ramp closest to shore I had no problem with my boat. I do have a problem with the boat going under the dock if windy but I rigged up a couple of 3 feet long sections of pvc pipe I hang from the dock with ropes that act as bumpers while loading and unloading

• 2 weeks later...

Hit the north end of the Branchport arm again 2 Saturdays ago. Landed 8 LT and  lost probably 4 more. Hot bite was towards the end of the day at the very north end in 95-115 fow. Hot lure was 3/4 oz. silver Kastmaster. Was very surprised when I gutted them and found their stomach absolutely filled with small insects which I believe were Mysis shrimp (not 100% sure). Pretty hard to match that bait but luckily they also seemed to like Kastmasters. 

Decent number of lakers showing up on the fish finder at the north end.

Got a $100 underwater camera  from Amazon last week. Can not wait to check out the underwater view.  Cord goes to 90 feet. Like to drop it down into the bait schools towards the surface that have been showing up on the fish finder at the north end. Also want to see lakers and check for perch in shallower water.

• 3 weeks later...

Went out on Saturday to the point of the Bluff from 10 ft out to 150 ft. (Actually 150 back to 10, a few times) No luck.

Vertical jigging with a 1 oz white and a bit of Dipsy Diver with a silver spoon down to 75 or so.

No consistency on contacts. Some at 35, some at 75, some at 138 in 140 ft.

Got pretty rough as the warm wind picked up. Just happy I could hit the lake in February. Time to tune that outboard.

By using the word "contacts" you did see some fish on the depthfinder( or as we call it the TV)?  Last year that place was a desert.  On the south end of the lake we only caught fish of the eastern point then over in front of the restaurant 3ish miles up  the motel and at goldseal......jk

Personally, I just don't think the numbers are there anymore.. Just haven't been seeing fish on the machine past couple years. Years ago, no matter where I went on Keuka, my machine was lit up like a Christmas tree. Now I see blank screens every trip... Unless the fish just aren't  holding  in the same areas they used to... I dunno.....

16 hours ago, jk1 said:

By using the word "contacts" you did see some fish on the depthfinder( or as we call it the TV)?  Last year that place was a desert.  On the south end of the lake we only caught fish of the eastern point then over in front of the restaurant 3ish miles up  the motel and at goldseal......jk

Yes, "contacts" as in sonar contacts on the 1990s era LCD screen. None "contacted" my jig in any way.

1 hour ago, guff said:

Still decent numbers in north west corner of Branchport arm yesterday.75-90 fow. Only boated 3 but had at least 4 on and then lost them between 12:00 and 3:00.

That was the intended target area, but the motor wasn't giving me that feeling of reliability. What were you using?

19 hours ago, Tg8 said:

Is the Hammondport launch open? I've never launched there?

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

Town launch in the village is "Residents Only" and equipped with parking lot gates opened by an electronic key fob. The motel next to the launch http://www.keukalakesideinn.com/ has its own launch, but I don't know what they're charging. I thought they were closed for the season.

jnj(((((kasbdlf (greaChugbug (great lure for fun fishing) , half way up the lake just before the bluffs on the west side is a launch "JAKES"  607-868-4876, used to be Annes.  But it sounds to me that the better fishing is up north according to what I have read here......jk

7 hours ago, chugbug said:

What about the launch in Keuka is it residents only , sure would better than running down from the penn yan arm , I realize the pennyan launch might have ice now . 

It is a  township ramp, but I don't believe its a "residents only" ramp..  I have used that ramp for many years.. you just back down the ramp, make the  left after launching and park along that road.. NEVER have had a problem or angry word.. On the contrary all the residents around there have been very nice and friendly.. Just don't leave any garbage, and watch your language etc.. I would use it.. It is NOT suitable for a big boat at all especially when the water is super low... bob