Copperhead

rbochan

I was driving along the other day and saw a cobweb and dust covered rod and reel leaning against a trash can by the side of the road. I stopped and quickly tossed it in the back of the jeep. When I got home, I dusted it off and found it to be a 2-piece 7' M Ugly Stick, circa 2000 or so (I'm guessing) with a Mitchell Copperhead 40 spinning reel on it. It also had a shiny little Panther Martin spinner attached to the line.

SCORE!

The rod and reel are both pristine and in need of a damp cloth - that's it. Everything seems to work perfectly. I haven't been able to find out much about the reel, so I was wondering if anyone knew the specs on it. It's not a rear-drag model, and I have no idea what max drag is. The only other markings on it are "4 Ball Bearings", "5.6:1 Ratio", and "180 yd/10 lb." If anyone knows more, I'd appreciate learning more about it. It looks exactly like this:

331775927823_1.jpg

I was just curious if anyone's used them before, if there were any gotcha's to look out for - that  kind of stuff.

I casted it for the first time today and it works well. The drag's very quiet, which I'm not that fond of, but it was hard to beat the price!

• 3 months later...

Is that one of the rear drag models?

I've been using this one with 8lb mono for shore fishing Skaneateles. It's worked well so far, but there feels like there's flex in the reel seat on the rod. After the bows and landlocks get sketchy, I'll tear into it and see what's going on.