Traditions pursuit muzzleloader

Legacy

Save the trip to Bass Pro ..... Sent my wife there yesterday. No Buckhorn

I have a traditions pursuit as well and last year was my first year using it and I have to tell you that it took longer for me to get it sighted in than it did my crossbow at 40 yds.  I have asked people I know hwo are experienced and read reviews on line and 2 things seem consistent.  1.) Got to find the right load scheme and 2.) everyone seems to have found the right one and discounted what someone else has found to work.  I am taking a trip to basspro fri.  I am going to try some new things this year.  I am going to try buckhorn powder with Hornaday SST as well as the 777 60g pellets with the hornaday SST lock and load.  One review stated that at first he had no confidence in the pursuit ML until he found the right load and now he calls it his favorite.

To bad I didn't know earlier, when I was up to get the riggers off Keepin it Reel I was at our local tackle shop to day and they are stocked to the hill, as the FlintLock season is next!!

I read this blog but have never posted. I must admit, it's my favorite read. Thanks for the info and entertainment .I hunt with a cva and use power belts with 2 50 grain pellets. (The kit came with power belts and I always used them )They group well at 75 yards (my personal limit). I have fired at five deer all of them went less than 50 yards. They do seem to shatter but they are lethal. Never tried any other bullets. I found the copper foil on the exit hole on the last one. Based on what i've read here ,maybe I better try some of the others. I live in PA, have a camp in New York, and hunted both rifle openers. I hunted with a Marlin 336 3030. I just love the feel of that gun. I am not an expert hunter and usually shoot first legal buck comes along because many years I passed on the little guys and got skunked. My family likes venison. This year I got a pair of six pointers (and doe with the CVA in the PA muzzleloader) and I'm now looking forward to the New York muzzleloader season, and PA flintlock after Christmas. I just retired and have more time. Have a great rest of the hunting season, and great holiday.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

The best thing Pa. Did was make it legal to shoot sabots out of our flintlock, those round ball bastards just poke a hole in one side, and if you were lucky enough to get a pass through shot your chances were pretty good for tracking, they worked allright if you hit bone or in the vitals. There is a guy around here that specializes in flintlock works. He reworks the flash hole, and leads the powder pan and striker so no powder leaks out, I have a Cornstalker, I forget the name,LOL but I love that gun, I have shot the biggest 6 pointer I ever shot with my flintlock, the other thing I did that made a big difference is I put fiber optic sights on it. My flintlock has minimal delay when you touch her off, plus I had trigger work done to it also. The guy that did the work was Keystone shooting supplies, the father does the gun sales while his son has a machine shop and does all the rebuilds and repairs, the guy knows his shyt. Oh I forgot I put a Green Mountain barrel on it also, the reason why is the original barrels were designed to shoot patch and ball. So the rifling is machined to deep for the sabot bases to seal off all the gasses. The Green Mountain barrels are made to shoot sabots. They definitely made a big difference, under 50 yards they just about fall over, and if not you can follow the blood trail no problem!!

Oops I hit the send button. I just upgraded to the PA traditions accelerator 50 Cal with Williams fiber optic sites.. killed quite a few deer after Christmas with the 54 patch and ball. My eyes begged for the fiber-optic sites so I upgraded.

Can't wait to try it.

Plan on using SST 250 grain Sabots but I haven't tried it yet.

Wondering where I might find buckhorn 209. Bass Pro is out. Would love to find it locally instead of paying the hazardous charge.

Biekirks in Rochester is supposedly getting some in after the season.  I have a buddy picking me up more in Buffalo this week. 

Muzzle loaders kind of rainbow down range.  Many shots needed to decide how much and which powder, then you have the shots required to determine trajectory.

A very economical and perfectly adequate terminal performance can be found in a 300 gr .458 cal bullet.  Hornady, Speer, or Sierra should be available for around 50 cents a pop.  Orange HPH sabots around a quarter each.  Better than a buck and a quarter a pop for Barnes.

Where do you guys buy the powder or pellets? I have been to herbs dicks gander and online it says it's sold out at all ganders around, bass pro. I can only find in store in buffalo cabelas

I bought mine from Augies gun shop on ridge rd and rt 259. Little small building right next to the dealership. I haven't been to him in 2 yrs so he may be out of business

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

attachicon.gifIMG_20161214_125324143_HDR

I thought you guys would like this picture.

Sent from my XT1585 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

What for pills were you shooting, they look like a knockoff of a power belt. Some one commented on the price of the Barns bullets? I think for a buck and a 1/2 verses $.50 a shot I'll bet that $.75 wasn't worth the mental anguish of should I try to get it, let him lay? Those Barns out of my muzzy knock a hole out the opposite side you can put your fist in. I'm by no means am I knocking the fellow who posted the cost option, I'm referring to my personal experiences with the barns!! You got him Rob and that's what counts!!,again congrats to your dandy buck!!

What for pills were you shooting, they look like a knockoff of a power belt. Some one commented on the price of the Barns bullets? I think for a buck and a 1/2 verses $.50 a shot I'll bet that $.75 wasn't worth the mental anguish of should I try to get it, let him lay? Those Barns out of my muzzy knock a hole out the opposite side you can put your fist in. I'm by no means am I knocking the fellow who posted the cost option, I'm referring to my personal experiences with the barns!! You got him Rob and that's what counts!!,again congrats to your dandy buck!!

I am shooting TC Shockwaves as suggested by my fellow LOU members. Thats what I killed my buck with on tuesday. They pattern pretty well so far out of my Traditions Pursuit so the powerbelts went into the garbage.

Well maybe I'm not as out of the scene as I thought I was,LOL they are power belts!! They sure have changed the package from the last I used them? The green were the 50 cal. Ect. The gunsmith that worked my flintlock over told me about the barns so I just been using them. At first I was like come on all this stuff, he sold them loose like, the sabots were in one bag the bullets came in a small box, where the power belts were "more convenient" but I just put them together and it just became routine after a while. I would be content with the TC also that buck wasn't going anywhere, had the daytime been in your favor, you probably would have dragged him out that same day!! Like on Blade Smiths, that will kill!! Thank god it wasn't today WOW is it brutal here!!! 13* and wind blowing like hell.

• 2 weeks later...

In reading the info here it appears that most shoot 250 gr. sabots. So today I find some Blackhorn209 at a local store and the counter guy tells me to use 300 gr. sabots. We were talking shockwaves to be specific as that is what I am currently using in 250 gr. Anybody doing 300? He suggested going "110 by volume" with the powder too.