Sufficent/safe craft for SLR, Lake Ontario.

kstitan8

Does anybody have any experience with any tracker aluminum hauled boats in the SLR, or on Lake Ontario. Looking into getting something like Pro Team 175 TXW, but want to ensure that it would be safe and sufficient on this big water. Would be almost exclusively bass fishing.

I know this doesn't  exactly directly answer your question but the most important consideration is the weather you intend to fish in.  Lake Ontario can be a threat to nearly ANY boat under adverse weather conditions. There are people out there who fish near shore in 14 ft aluminum boats and even kayaks under the right (calm) conditions but even 40 foot boats can get into trouble when the lake gets really rough.  Regardless of the boat selected a great deal of care needs to be taken regarding carefully choosing your days with close attention to the weather projected for that time period and there are still no "guarantees" out there even with that. You always to keep in the back of your mind the "What if " question and that is if the engine were to konk out". Nothing against Canadian citizenship but it should be voluntary :lol:

Edited by Sk8man

I will answer a different way.  Yes, it should be safe because you are bass fishing and I can not think of weather that is not safe for a boat that you can bass fish in.  Go wide beam with at least 18ft and you should be fine.  I was on a super safe boat perch fishing once and the boat performed beyond expectations yet we quit because we couldn't feel our lines in the high wind.  High wind days - stay in the bays. Or just attack the honey do list and wait for a better day to be on the water.  I say yes but that means you make a decision not to fish when the wind is wrong for it.

If you are going out on the big lake make sure you have the added safety equipment.  I had spidey sense that told me to get back in the bay while the sun was shining and low winds because the waves were getting bigger.  10 minutes later came a nasty T-storm.  I was in a 14ft shallow V.  I felt like a bobber until I got back in the bay.  My point is that the weather can turn quickly so be prepared.

Good luck - boat shopping can be rewardful and stressfull.

I worked for Kells Marine late 90's and rigged several tracker boats. They are excellent for what they are. Near shore flat water fishing boat that can take abuse.

Big waves and high winds I recommend no less than 22'. Most people will get home on smaller boats. Work fish thrive I want 22nd+ feet. Whalers, Makos 23'Everglade (my favorite) Mass freeboard and stability. Big lake waves are easy. Short period steep chop is what will overwhelm even an old salt in the wrong boat.