How do you guys make your terminal end on your riggers

Xxx

I was wondering how do most of you attach your rigger ball clip? I read a few articles saying how you rig your ball snap makes a difference in your blowback, what's your take on this. I bought a set of Mag 20's and these snaps are attached without the cannon terminater which has a lot more of a solid area causing resistance in the water. These are just a double loop and back through with a longer tag just in case. These riggers came from a fellow that helps a lot of charter captains, and is working on getting his own show in the near future.

Save your money, those are expensive terminations.  Just use the "wire line knot".  For coated cable just strip off 10" of coating and tie the knot so the bare metal is on the swivel for transmission of your speed and temp signal.

GillT what your saying is the way these riggers are rigged, looks simple and the wire is doubled, almost like a half hitch and pulled tight, the heavier the weight the harder it works in favor of the knot. Neither of your answers are wrong, just when your looking for every little aspects to eliminate resistance the wire knot is the way, and if you tear off and don't have a kit with, there's no problem. Thanks guys for the input!!

I use the Canon terminator because it keeps the torpedo just under water when bringing the rigger up. Not having the torpedo in midair banging back and forth saves a lot of wear and tear on the equipment.

Save your money, those are expensive terminations.  Just use the "wire line knot".  For coated cable just strip off 10" of coating and tie the knot so the bare metal is on the swivel for transmission of your speed and temp signal.

The only rigger with cable on my boat is the coated cable rigger for my Sub-Troll. I do what Gill-T mentioned, but add crimps and crimp the tag end to the cable. Easy, cheap, and durable.

I think I got Rick interested in the AFW Braid downrigger cable.  It has a elliptical shape like "flea-flicker" line so it does not accumulate fleas too bad, it is a stealthy green color, terminates with a knot, soft on the hands, and does not make that hum that wire produces.  There is a video on Capt. John King's site with underwater audio that depicts how loud that wire hum is under water.  The hum has an attraction factor when fish are active....no doubt but what about those big boys that have been stung by hooks before?  There may be negative feedback to that hum and big fish that are equating the hum with danger.  Those underwater feeds of kings screaming in to hit a bait then turn away at the last minute.  Negative cues to blame?

Edited by Gill-T