Honeoye Walleye

Anyone have any tips for Honeoye walleyes this time of year? Fished from 6am - 11am this past Saturday and only had a few crappies, a few huge panfish, and a large mouth to show. New to fishing Honeoye and have read there are a lot of walleyes. Any advice on coaxing them to bite this time of the year is appreciated.

The first thing that I would adjust is the time. I've had better luck on that lake during hours of darkness. Honeoye is a dishpan lake with very little structure and a muck bottom. There don't seem to be many places that hold schools of eyes. I'm not saying there aren't ANY. Just not MANY. In my experience, they seem to be pretty spread out which means I'd get a fish, maybe two if I were lucky, then the spot would go dead. Keep moving. Trust your screen. It's also a tenaciously weedy lake. I used to troll diving stick baits outside the weeds quite a bit. 15-20 FOW. But even staying outside the weeds there's so much prop chopped weeds floating around that they find your line and follow it down. I switched to jigging. Even at night. Fuzzy Grubs, twisters, with any sort of live bait. My results probably were about the same...but much less frustrating. It sucks when you get a couple lines out and no sooner are they out then they've got crud on them killing the action. Plus, you can get into the weeds and work much closer to the edges. Also, I've very much enjoyed the challenge of enticing a strike and feeling a hit while jigging more than trolling sticks. Use larger minnows if you want to keep the panfish off. I also understand that alot of guys troll worm harnesses on 3 way rigs and bottom bouncers. For me, the panfish constantly biting the tails off of them is equally as frustrating. I'd be very interested to hearing other's input on this walleye fishery.

• 1 month later...

I don't know about August, but back in June i was trolling with spinnerbaits from www.freewebs.com/trzcinskifishingequipment at about 5:30 till 8. Between those time me and two other friends managed to pull out over 2 dozen bass and one walleye. One bass was over four pounds. We went back out at 7 PM and pulled out 3 more walleye using a red spinnerbait.

Send them an email asking them about where to go and what to use they were helpful for me.