Need help adding to my spread

TBrovata

Labor Day weekend I upgraded my 17' open bow Se Ray to a 24' Wellcraft cabin cruiser.  The past 2 seasons on the 17' I used (2) Cannon 5ST's and (2) Dipsey poles off of Ratcheting rod holders.  With the newer/bigger boat I was hoping to increase my spread by at least two more poles and was wondering what you guys think would be the best option.  Considerations at this point are planer reels mounted to my side rails for running copper/lead core.  Any suggestions on adding two more poles would be appreciated. Thanks! !

Similar thing going on in my boat now. We have two rigger rods and two wire diver rods. Ran two 10 color lead rods with inline boards this season but the stiff rod necessary for inline boards and that much inline weight made fighting fish on those rods not nearly as enjoyable. Next season I plan on either adding another two downriggers to get four of them going (since Riggers catch 80% of all our fish) or get a couple of rods for super-heavy snap weights to use as shallow(er) setups off the inline boards.

If you're going for leadcore then I'd recommend possibly doing external boards to avoid more weight than necessary on the line when fighting fish.

Edited by Char_Master

Thanks guys! The new boat isn't really conducive to adding two more riggers and the experience I've had with inline planers was a P.I.T.A in my opinion. So my original thought of running bigger boards off reals looks to be my best option.  I can always try the extra dipsy for no cost and see if tangling becomes an issue.  My assumption is you would run one on a 1 setting and the other on a 3?

my best advice is to try and hook up with other local fisherman if you know any and get out with them to see how they do things. take pieces of everyones program and customize it to fit your needs. 

my best advice is to try and hook up with other local fisherman if you know any and get out with them to see how they do things. take pieces of everyones program and customize it to fit your needs. 

The problem with running Core and Copper lines is will you have the right one for the day? If funds are limited my recommendation is to set-up 2 more wire rods. You can use them to run 4 divers, or add snap weights to them and run them off planer boards. Buying a set of .5oz-5oz snap weights, or the Torpedo weights is cheaper than buying multiple copper/core set-ups. Once you get good with determining where your weights are bringing your baits it will be easy to adjust each day, or on the fly. If I was starting over this is the route I'd take as it keeps lots of rods out of the boat, and it's cheaper.

Wire on an inside diver on an 8ft rod set on 1. Braid diver on outside diver on a 3 setting. We run four divers almost all the time. Run two riggers, 4 divers and a shoot rod with a copper or lead core setup. Can't go wrong with a 10 color and add a snap wieght when it's needed.