What are you shooting for a light- mid weight varmint bolt gun?

DJ 17

I have a Howa 1500 Thumbhole heavy barrel in 22-250. Its inside a bottle cap at 200 yds but its no fun to carry. I am going to stay with the 22-250 cartridge, just looking at different platforms at the moment.   I am looking for feedback on triggers and rate of twist. My Howa is 1:14 and will not shoot heavier bullets well.  If I get something else it will have to have a faster barrel and a good trigger. I would consider trading the one I have in the right situation. Thoughts?

Edited by DJ 717

The best overall caliber for what you describe is probably 243. Lots of loadings, relatively inexpensive to buy, and is ideal for any game from woodchuck to deer. I have a Ruger m77 markII in 243 and its light and shoots bullets from 55 to 100 grains well. It isn't a long range gun but 200 - 300 yds depending on size of game is no problem. Mine isn't for sale but I'm sure there is a bunch out there. You aren't gonna find a light super accurate gun on a budget. Savage makes lots of accutrigger models and they are closest thing to having a gunsmith adjust AND polish them which is what I do except the 1 Savage I have.

Justin Okrepki

NYSDEC licensed guide #7324

www.otiscolakeguideservice.com

(607)-349-1750

At this point I am going to stay with the 22-250 cartridge since I have all the reloading equipment. I do appreciate all opinions on different rifles.

Justin and Whaler,

Which model savage do you guys have?

At this point I am going to stay with the 22-250 cartridge since I have all the reloading equipment. I do appreciate all opinions on different rifles.

Justin and Whaler,

Which model savage do you guys have?

I'd have to look, will get back to you.  Had it for about 8 years and I love it

DJ,

I love the 22-250, but I suspect you will struggle to get one that shoots both light and heavy rounds well. If you post your question on a long range shooting forum you will find someone who has it figured out. That's how I found a Berger VLD loading for my 25's. A guy had the exact rifles I have and he had done countless loads perfecting an amazing load that is sub .25 moa!!! I fish to much anymore to figure something like that out on my own.

I have the bolt action Smokeless muzzloader and it has the accutrigger, but I've set up several model 11s. Of all the out of box affordable rifles I've shot I like the Savage's.

Justin Okrepki

NYSDEC licensed guide #7324

www.otiscolakeguideservice.com

(607)-349-1750

Justin,

Thanks for the feedback.  I know having a gun that shoots both light and heavy well is mostly a pipe dream, so I am willing to give up the lighter bullets to shoot the heavier ones better out of a faster barrel.  I don't get to chase predators much so pelt damage isn't a huge concern for me.  On the off occasion that I do get to go out and hike and call I would rather have a rifle that is enjoyable to handle.  

I really like the look of the TC Icon, but I don't think they are in production anymore.  I have a buddy that has one in 30 TC and loves it.  Anyone have a TC Venture? How well does it shoot? How is the trigger?

I enjoy my 218 bee. Very accurate

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Hey jackrabbit, I've got a bee I've been thinking about using but I don't think the factory bullet would do the job on dogs most of the time. Its the 45gr. hollow Pt. and it will blow up on a twig. What are you shooting,are you hand loading? $90 a box is kind of steep for me.

To shoot both heavy and light, I would look for a 1/9 twist. Fast twist is not really common for that caliber from the factory. If you can find one that will be good from 40 to some 75 grain pills. Since you reload that caliber.

Do you have any suggestions as to who is manufacturing a rifle that fast? Or is it strictly a custom request?

It's lots of fun. Tough to find good shooting in NJ tho. I had a 535 hog before the sniper stock with that gun. Sure did miss a bunch out there tho. Windage is ****. I actually used the Remington ballistics calculator to dial the gun and scope in. It was incredibly accurate based on the calculations. I was shocked.