hey guys, this is my first year fishing for trout and salmon on ontario and your posts have been a helping hand in figuring it all out...I am going for lakers tomorow but only have two downriggers, Im going to run cowbells with spin in' glows off the ball near the bottom but any suggestions for dipsy, copper, or stacker lines to run would be very helpful. Also what speed would be a good starting point, weve at 2.2-2.5 knots for browns but i feel thats to fast for lakers. Thanks for the help.

-Steve

Slow troll to 1.4 up to 2.2 or so and if you want to stack something on the cable try a big flutter spoon like a fire tiger evil eye...lakers love slow red stuff that wobbles good at slow speeds run it back a short bit from the bells about 10 feet up the cable but be wary of a snafu if there comes a strike on the bell setup...keep the ball right near the bottom (even clunking the bottom) on the outside of where the thermocline meets the bottom. Cold water is what they like where it meets the botom. They don't like to chase thier food too much so keep her slow and your likely to get the attention of a few "mud chickens" with the cowbell setup.

well...we tried an evening fish today for lakers. Started at around 1.4 knots and didnt go much faster than 1.7 most of the day...after about 3 hours all we had on the boat were about 100 of those damn biting house flies! Then we tried speeding up to around 2 knots (even though i thought it was too fast) and as i was reeling in the first line to head back to port (henderson harbor) empty handed, a rod popped...after going fish less for over 5 hours, we went 3-5 in the last hour...a nice finish to a SLOW day. Thanks again for the advice

wow, i guess sometimes a little adjustment makes all the difference...i've been using the cowbell with a small spin'in glow rig for a white now, but we are catching mostly smaller lakers and are loosing a good amount once we get them to the surface. What size treble hook and spin in glow would work best for some larger lakers? I was thinking of just putting a larger hook on the small spin in glow, but im concerned it will deter the fish from striking. And is there a type of rig that can be used to fish the bottom (only two downriggers) other than off the downrigger? i tried stacking but have only caught myself a few times...and i dont think it gets close enough to the bottom, any suggestions would really help