Getting into airbrush painting

Xxx

Last year my daughters got me a airbrush for Christmas. I've been practicing and I feel as if I'm ready to try my hand at some spoons. What I haven't decided on is the type of paint I want to use. I've been practicing with Createx paint but in water base, they have some wicked colors and I have impressed myself not sounding stuck up. Createx also makes a automotive type paint which the fumes, and cleaning is a little more involved but that's not really a problem. I'm wondering which or what type of paints do you guys use for durability. Also where do you guys get your scale stencils or the scales cloth that you can put over any shape. Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks PAP.

Mike I'm certainly not a lure paint expert but I do know that it is critical that the undercoating for whatever you use is the right stuff for the particular paint used over it as this is often the problem with the surface paint coming off.  Jann's Netcraft has a selection of paint stuff that you might want to take a look at.

Mike I'm certainly not a lure paint expert but I do know that it is critical that the undercoating for whatever you use is the right stuff for the particular paint used over it as this is often the problem with the surface paint coming off.  Jann's Netcraft has a selection of paint stuff that you might want to take a look at.

Thanks Les, Jann's is where I got the createx paint, they have the base paint for what ever you want to use, I just watched a lot of Utube vids. And a lot of those guys say to use the automotive type paints for durability, and createx has a oil base paint also. Plus the transparent paints are more available in the oil base paints.

. I've been practicing with Createx paint but in water base, they have some wicked colors and I have impressed myself not sounding stuck up.

I did some testing on that type of paint on some spoons for a guy on here. The paint held up about as good as M . Stinger paint job , he never follow thru with them because of that. Good luck with this

I did some testing on that type of paint on some spoons for a guy on here. The paint held up about as good as M . Stinger paint job , he never follow thru with them because of that. Good luck with this

Good grief that isn't good!! We all know how they peel off like bananas!! LOL

I use Createx water based paint. I have a video on YouTube where I fold over a painted lure, pound it with a hammer, UN fold it, pound it flat again with a hammer and the paint holds up. I find that cure time between processes and temperature are key. Humidity is also a factor. I also wire wheel every single blank that gets primer. Be careful if you choose to wire wheel lure blanks... I've lost skin doing it.

Sent from my VK410 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Pap here's what I have done in the past and it works good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ezEsDG4nds

Thank you justgrinnin, LOL I have watched a lot of Dakota's vids, got a lot of ideas from that guy! He definatly has a lot of tricks up his sleeve, and not afraid to share them. Although I did not see that. I'm keeping notes as I go, or I'd never remember all this stuff. If your into a challenge take up this hobby!! LOL thanks for the heads up. PAP.

Jason (Great Lakes Lures) brings up a really important issue - that of durability of the paint job. He has graciously revealed and detailed a great deal regarding the lure making process in previous posts and his spoons are high quality and hold up well. Like a lot of LOU folks I too have been pissed from time to time about the lack of finish durability and the flaking off of the paint from certain manufacturers lures that otherwise are productive and attractive but when the finish doesn't last it feels as though they aren't worth the money paid. I think that often this problem related to improper preparation of the blanks before painting and or the particular undercoating used because when the paint comes off of them the resulting blank is very shiny and much too smooth which gives little or nothing  for the paint to adhere to.  The cure time, temperature and humidity are things I didn't really fully think about in depth but any one of these things could be a critical factor in having lure finish come out right and last. 

Edited by Sk8man

Thank you justgrinnin, LOL I have watched a lot of Dakota's vids, got a lot of ideas from that guy! He definatly has a lot of tricks up his sleeve, and not afraid to share them. Although I did not see that. I'm keeping notes as I go, or I'd never remember all this stuff. If your into a challenge take up this hobby!! LOL thanks for the heads up. PAP.

I did paint my own for a while then kind of got away from it still have the stuff. Here in NH we a smaller spoon size than Lake "O" size so a little steadier hand is a plus.

I did a ton of research, most all say to wire wheel, then wipe clean with lacquer thinner before shooting your base coat. I've come to find out that most all are water based. There are some very interesting paints out there, and some impressive stencils. To really bring character to a spoon and I also came across 3D stencils which look impressive, but the cost at first, you can buy a lot of spoons before it comes around other than you can create what works for differant lakes!! Plus it keeps me busy, maybe to much.LOL

A lot of folks have experienced change over the last 20 plus years due to laws governing the use of voc's and restrictions against them. That said, paint is not what it used to be. There are some urethane based paints that can be more durable, but in the not so distant future, those paints will soon be phased out as well. So now you see a trend, not just among folks like us, but automotive industry is also stepping into water based paints. There are plenty of body shops and custom shops you can find who use only water based paints. Its a developing trend that im sure will soon become a norm. Now with that said, its probably best to deal with and accept the fact it will still change and not such a bad idea to experiment with it.

Sent from my VK410 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Pap there is ups and downs too both water is safer but is harder to spray base coat is pretty toxic but sprays far better then water could ever think of! No tip dry don't have to worry about humidity and the speed of base coat is way faster. I use both but I prefer solvent over water on lures or cars! But for a hobby Water is what I recommend because solvent is hard core stuff then you need thinner and that stuff is no good for you either pap! And goes for spoon prep it's all about what it is brass blank or was it silver plated and are they lacquer coated? This all has too do with good prep knowledge of your blanks is how you start! That's why it's tuff to repaint spoons because you never know what they are!

Pap there is ups and downs too both water is safer but is harder to spray base coat is pretty toxic but sprays far better then water could ever think of! No tip dry don't have to worry about humidity and the speed of base coat is way faster. I use both but I prefer solvent over water on lures or cars! But for a hobby Water is what I recommend because solvent is hard core stuff then you need thinner and that stuff is no good for you either pap! And goes for spoon prep it's all about what it is brass blank or was it silver plated and are they lacquer coated? This all has too do with good prep knowledge of your blanks is how you start! That's why it's tuff to repaint spoons because you never know what they are!

Well if anyone knows it's you my freind, I still go out and open my tackle box to admire your work, you have painted me some of the best color sceme's I ever laid eyes on, that's no shyt!! I tell myself if I could be 1/2 as good as you can paint I'd be blessed. On the other hand what I spent so far I could have had you paint enough lures to last me yearsLOL its great hearing from you again!! I still visit your site often to see if anything new come about? Best of luck PAP Mike!!!

Thanks pap I put a lot of pride in my lures! 2017 i have a ton of new stuff coming out. But as far as painting your own it's awesome because you can make anything you want and it's your own pattern way more too it then money spent if you injoy doing it then it's not about money!! Have fun with it pap! and if you need anything you got my number just call bud!

Thanks pap I put a lot of pride in my lures! 2017 i have a ton of new stuff coming out. But as far as painting your own it's awesome because you can make anything you want and it's your own pattern way more too it then money spent if you injoy doing it then it's not about money!! Have fun with it pap! and if you need anything you got my number just call bud!

Well that's good I'll be checking it out!! Have a approximate time? I don't want to be on the back burner, I want the best of the best!!! And that's you my freind, please pm. Me when you get your stuff together!!! PAP aka Mike