Looking for people who want to go to fishing out of Gloucester.

rolmops

Dr Lou and I are trying to go fishing out of Gloucester in the beginning of May. The plan is a 12 hour trip with Kevin Twombly, Kayman charters (deadliest catch tuna) and go after cod ,haddock and pollock. The cost, including tip is about $1850 for a 12 hour offshore charter (six pack)  on the "Lisa and Jake". That is roughly $320 per person for the trip. The date is probably Saturday May 6.

Sent me a PM if you are interested.

Cornelis

Last I heard Cod were closed to fishing.

It is open again ,but with a very strict limit of one fish per person. The haddock limit is 15 fish per person and the pollack has no limit.

Edited by rolmops

We have fished out of Rockport MA where the trip to the fishing grounds is several hours shorter. Getting around Cape Ann is a long trip. Another port to leave from is Newburyport NH where the grounds are closer.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

This is incorrect.

Yes Rockport is closer to Jeffries but not by a couple hrs. 1/2 tops unless your on a slow boat. Newburyport is about the same run as Gloucester to the curl and beyond, believe it or not.

In May you can hit Stellwagon or Tillies and limit out no problem in a normal day. Unless you're looking to fish waters far off the coast a normal day will box out. If you're looking to fish a particular area (Georges) then a extended day would be needed.

Cod in the gulf of Maine had a one fish limit per person and that was only in August/Sept. Not all year. The 15 Haddock is nice and worth the trip alone.

Good luck. Hope the reg's stay the same, or get better.

Spike

This brings back fond memories . We had a bunch of guys from my rod and gun club that used to fish the Yankee Fleet out of Gloucester back in the 90's . We loved the two day trip out to Georges' Bank for cod . I think it was 1990 , we brought home 110 pounds of cod fillets apiece . The captain of the Yankee Freedom ,told us way back then to write our congressmen about the foreign factory ships on the banks . There were several HUGE ships , they carry a dozen or so trawlers on their decks ,which the winch over the side to fish . He told us ( and was very correct ) that the cod fishing would be gone in ten years . Fished out by foreign fishing .I was in the Crow's nest in 1991 ,sometime in August , The crew from the Andrea Gale may have been there that night ..I, too , hope the fishing on Georges' bank can recover . But it won't happen in my lifetime .

This brings back fond memories . We had a bunch of guys from my rod and gun club that used to fish the Yankee Fleet out of Gloucester back in the 90's . We loved the two day trip out to Georges' Bank for cod . I think it was 1990 , we brought home 110 pounds of cod fillets apiece . The captain of the Yankee Freedom ,told us way back then to write our congressmen about the foreign factory ships on the banks . There were several HUGE ships , they carry a dozen or so trawlers on their decks ,which the winch over the side to fish . He told us ( and was very correct ) that the cod fishing would be gone in ten years . Fished out by foreign fishing .I was in the Crow's nest in 1991 ,sometime in August , The crew from the Andrea Gale may have been there that night ..I, too , hope the fishing on Georges' bank can recover . But it won't happen in my lifetime .

I went out with the Yankee fleet a few times and I enjoyed a lot, but once I tried a smaller boat boat with six people I realized how much better that is compared to a head boat. As for the factory ships, they did a lot of damage, but they were not all foreign. I guess that everybody's greed is what damaged the banks to the point of almost no return.

The only source for cod on the market today is from Iceland. Their use of "hook and line" fishing saved their fishery. They sent their gunboats off to run off the British trawlers from their grounds and today they have plenty of cod for the market.

The Russians did the same and their cod is fine. The Norwegians out class us all by breeding and farming cod in their Fjords.

The only source for cod on the market today is from Iceland. Their use of "hook and line" fishing saved their fishery. They sent their gunboats off to run off the British trawlers from their grounds and today they have plenty of cod for the market.

Um....not exactly....although I assume you're talking about Atlantic cod Jimski :)

post-145411-0-17619900-1482071096_thumb.jpg

Yes Pollock and Pacific Cod are two different fish caught by similar methods in the same general fisheries. Pollock is also the fish used for surimi (sold as imitation crabmeat)

Edited by Sk8man

A little (softer) texture on cod and haddock in my opinion but if you like walleye and perch I think you'll love cod and haddock as well. They are pretty "mild" tasting fish. They all are my favorites along with Grouper and Stripers :)

Willy-C Thanks for the pic showing all three varieties of fish at once....a lot better than written descriptions in getting the point across.

Edited by Sk8man