Plan 2014

Plan 2014, a new controversial plan allowing greater highs and lows of Lake Ontario and St. Lawrence River water levels, has been approved by both the U.S. and Canadian governments.

http://www.syracuse.com/outdoors/index.ssf/2016/12/plan_2014_controversial_plan_to_regulate_lake_ontario_water_levels_approved.html

Well, just another one of those "just because" decisions. Obviously ignoring the input from the south shore. What's the general opinion up in your area, LOST A LURE? Benefits outweigh the negatives? More baby Pike for the unchecked cormorants to eat? THATS where the two countries should have worked together. Shock and awe control of cormorants would have saved more Northern Pike than this enormously expensive plan. Of course it does not effect the shipping industry, of course there's no money earmarked for the inevitable problems.

People and what they think do not matter to this movement.  

I ask myself, now why would they want to make the high limit higher and low limit lower ?Makes no sence.  For enviromental reasons? 

There is a huge water shortage all over the country. Dont be surpised if soon they want to ship great lakes/LO  water to different locations of the country by canal or pipeline for economic development reasons. If you consider this scenario ,it makes more sence. Dont trust them. 

The wetlands did fine before they built the seaway. Brian have you looked into this? From what I understand marinas in Sodus Bay and your Sandy creek could be in trouble.

I have looked into this Vince. My wife's boss was on the board fighting this. Sandy Creek Marina will be in trouble. Eastfork and Frank's Marina should be ok. The water level at high high will be over the south breakwall at Sandy Creek Marina.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I have looked into this Vince. My wife's boss was on the board fighting this. Sandy Creek Marina will be in trouble. Eastfork and Frank's Marina should be ok. The water level at high high will be over the south breakwall at Sandy Creek Marina.

Wasn't that long ago boats were smoking props in Sodus bay due to low water. Cant imagine it being even lower.

Man.... they may think the cottage owners around the lake used to b!@#h a lot in the past wait until they implement this :lol:  Sounds like another great idea from government...they have a lot of them....and few of them seem to work well.

The only part of that article I disagree with are the pike populations.  The pike populations on the South shore are nothing like they were 30 years ago. 

So let me get this straight. They want to put billions of dollars worth of commercial & residential property in peril for enviromental reasons. Is the lake and its estuaries that sick.They spent 25 years back in the 60's & 70's getting the levels right after the high water & erosion issues back then . I ain't buying it.

They have spent millions on Bradocks Bay restoring the wetlands as well as work on the bay to improve navigation in order to make the marinas usable again. What affect will this have there. Has much of that money spent there just gone to waste?

Braddock's will not be any more navigable

Nothing that was done will effect water depth in the channel.

Edited by whaler1

Braddock's will not be any more navigable

Nothing that was done will effect water depth in the channel.

If anything, it will fill in easier. The Ariel photo I posted months back shows lots of sand waiting to dump in the channel on a NE blow. The bay will never be good for boating unless the finish the wall and put in piers extending out to deeper water.