Ice ice baby!

longspurs

I forgot to mention that I played with my vex fl18 out there for the first time that I bought from a member here a couple weeks ago. In comparing it with my hummingbird ice 55, it excels in water under 12' I know the newer ones have an illuminated dial or a digital read out that tells you the depth. This one doesn' t and that is a minus. Over 12', I will use my hummingbird. Much bigger adjustable zoom and bright clear marks. Easy for an older guy  like me to read.

Chris -I used to use my Mark 5X Pro with the Lowrance Ice pack but returned to my Vex because with displays it take a brief time to do screen rewrites and the flasher is basically in "real time" and I didn't find it as handy in shallow for the perch as the zoom on the Vex. Where it excels is out deep jigging for trout because you can see all sorts of patterning that you don't get with a flasher and can sort out bait and structure better etc..

No lag on the elite. I used split zoom and was able to zoom in on bottom 3' with amazing detail. Loved having the sonar log to see my jig cadence and the fishes reaction. I can already tell this will be a huge asset on Oneida and Chaumont where I will be spending most of the time until Erie freezes. I didn't mess with the flasher mode as much as there appeared to be too much lag there.

Pequod1 I have a fl18 and I laugh at the hummingbird. Put the dial on LP low power . It cuts out the weeds so u can see the bottom and the fish the weeds better. Then mess with the gain to your liking. Sell the bird.

I use the fl18 for pan fish at Cranberry pond 5 foot , Lake trout at Keuka 200 fow .

Sent from my SM-N920V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I did the same thing with the low setting on my FL20 longspurs :)  You'll never convince those die hard Hummers to switch or the Marcum dudes either for that matter :lol:  It felt great getting out yesterday after all the usual anticipation but at least the perch kept me real busy this Fall and with a full freezer now the pressure is off this season getting some for the winter :P

Pequod1 I have a fl18 and I laugh at the hummingbird. Put the dial on LP low power . It cuts out the weeds so u can see the bottom and the fish the weeds better. Then mess with the gain to your liking. Sell the bird.

I use the fl18 for pan fish at Cranberry pond 5 foot , Lake trout at Keuka 200 fow .

My bird does a great job with the dual beam cone. I haven't had an issue putting fish on the ice and side by side marcum mine shows smaller jigs with less gain. You can keep your vex, it's all about the settings.

My bird does a great job with the dual beam cone. I haven't had an issue putting fish on the ice and side by side marcum mine shows smaller jigs with less gain. You can keep your vex, it's all about the settings.

Well I was trying to help him with his fl18 and I have the same . I was just telling him how to use it. Use what works for u chas keep putting them in the bucket!!! Tight lines!!!

Thanks Longspurs. So far, where I have been fishing, the best setting seems to be normal mode,AZ and a gain setting of 1. Tried messing with LP and high gain,but in 9-10 and no weeds, normal mode worked for me.

We were out today. Not much to report. Got a few nice gills and a short eye early and after that it was a dink fest. Roamed out to 17' for dink perch and a pickerel. Went back shallow and got another pickerel.  I had to leave early. I bet it got better in the afternoon.

Sk8man , pequod1, king slamming , nice to see we all got in to some fish and stayed on top. Gambell nice job on the pike!!! U must have been in the docks I got scouts all over the state..... lol .

I was just past the docks.  My line of tip ups ran across the front of all the docks.  There was a group between the docks and another group of guys in the corner off the launch.  I did not see any other pike iced. 

Just did a drive by Braddocks and the ponds.

We got 1 guy running flags at buck pond .

1 guy at long pond has a tip down spread by shore.

6 guys east side of cranberry,and 9 at the parking lot .

Braddock has 5 guys and 2 yellow labs . Good amount of people out today .

Good luck  out there. Wishing I could get back out but too many holiday commitments right now. :lol:  Good going with the pike Brian. At this point hoping that the ice will get thick enough on Honeoye to get out to where I need to for the good perch :lol:

I stopped and looked at the ponds last night.  Lots of small holes all over both ponds near the road.  The main sheets looked in OK shape but I would be using my spud for sure. 

Edited by GAMBLER

• 2 weeks later...

I saw relatively fresh sled tracks at the public fishing access by Bradocks bay Marina but no one out.  Anyone know how thick the ice is there?  I'm thinking of bailing from work a little early and wetting a line for a couple hours tomorrow.  The wife got me an LX5 for christmas and I've been chomping at the bit to try it out.