Ice ice baby!

longspurs

We're you at chaumont? The fire department just put up pics from the air some rescues out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Yes. Camped on the ice for three days and two nights. Was on 9-10" of ice, at least a mile from open water. The current ripped it up in two minutes.

I bet u won't be 1 mile from open water on 9in of ice again . I take it u are not a local up there.
Glad to see this report and not a different one. To many sportsman lost this year, gun season , snowmobile , ice fishing.... this year sucks!!
Great job camping and the fish u got!!!!!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

The Honeoye tournament went well yesterday ice was 3in at 15fow , And shallow was 5in 10fow. 36 people entered.i think 1st was 6 pan fish at 3.59 , 6th was 3.08. Some close bags.
They run these tournaments well with lots of raffle prizes good CASH payout. They don't scam like the other guy out there .

I bet u won't be 1 mile from open water on 9in of ice again . I take it u are not a local up there.
Glad to see this report and not a different one. To many sportsman lost this year, gun season , snowmobile , ice fishing.... this year sucks!!
Great job camping and the fish u got!!!!!

Not local but have been ice fishing for over half my life. It's my passion. There was a lot of locals out there too. Must have warned 30 guys to pack up as it was coming for them. There were guys 1/2 mile farther out than us the night before. And yes, I will be a mile from open water out there again as the fishing was amazing. I'll just be paying more attention to the currents and packing a lot lighter for quick removal. You know ice fishing is always a risk.

Lot of meth labs up there in the north country some locals don't have the right state of mind.
Well I guess u get what u deserve , lost gear lucky to have your life. I hope u have better luck next time u will need it if u do it again . Stay safe and on top

Lot of meth labs up there in the north country some locals don't have the right state of mind.
Well I guess u get what u deserve , lost gear lucky to have your life. I hope u have better luck next time u will need it if u do it again . Stay safe and on top

Lol. I see your posts about fishing 2-3" all the time bud for half a bucket of 8" perch. No thanks, not worth it. Like I said, that ice was good for days and plenty thick. Just a perfect storm, so to speak, that caused it to give way. Don't be so condescending, talking about something you clearly don't understand.

Chris - Very glad you made it off there OK. That was about as close call as it gets  and you are now a "cat with 8 lives".  Your situation does however point up some   things though that bear mentioning for the rest of us and especially folks new to the game.  Ice fishing is ALWAYS dangerous no matter how experienced someone is or how well they know the outward appearance of the ice. I was on three to 4 inches yesterday along with many dozens of people and you'd normally think it is safe but the reality is that no matter what the ice appears like above you have no way of knowing what is going on underneath. For example glaciers miles thick calve off unexpectedly. Ice thickness and observable integrity factors are only one part of the equation. Everything from metyhanne pockets, the unseen nearby streams undermining it from underneath, high winds on open water long distances away from the ice constantly see-sawing it underneath, or strong underwater currents eroding it....all of these factors UNSEEN or undetected from above.  We can never lose sight of those possibilites while out there. When in my thirties I used to go by myself at night on 4 inches of ice after walleyes and be the sole person out here but not these days. Ice fishing is one of my favorite times of the fishing season but after some of the things I've experienced myself or seen happen to others I always maintain a healthy respect for the fact that I can "walk on water" but never let down my guard or take chances anymore. I'm sure those other guys out there share your sense of relief after getting back home alive.

Edited by Sk8man

1486907070337.thumb.jpg.a055deda168d41e3523d953122d3a94f.jpg1486907108946.thumb.jpg.cd745feb046d6107f01971b8641da6d9.jpg
196 fow 14.23 lbs u think u are hardcore u dont kown who u are talking to bud . Lmfao

30FOW, same spot, 17.5 lbs. First day of three days and nights sleeping on the ice. I know you like ice fishing, just didn't appreciate your condescending remarks about something you know nothing about. When you decide to fish big water, I'd be happy to fish by your side. Just don't put me down until you have been there. That's all I'm saying.
IMG_1486907588.401791.jpg

Bucket of eyes at the start of day two
IMG_1486907782.796908.jpg

I didn't pull u down 1 bit . Just read what I said slowly. It's all good. I said great job, nice fish, I can hold up over my shoulder. What more do u want.
I fish big water....... being at the area u are Fishing u should do good. Nice job again

Chris - Very glad you made it off there OK. That was about as close call as it gets  and you are now a "cat with 8 lives".  Your situation does however point up some   things though that bear mentioning for the rest of us and especially folks new to the game.  Ice fishing is ALWAYS dangerous no matter how experienced someone is or how well they know the outward appearance of the ice. I was on three to 4 inches yesterday along with many dozens of people and you'd normally think it is safe but the reality is that no matter what the ice appears like above you have no way of knowing what is going on underneath. For example glaciers miles thick calve off unexpectedly. Ice thickness and observable integrity factors are only one part of the equation. Everything from metyhanne pockets, the unseen nearby streams undermining it from underneath, high winds on open water long distances away from the ice constantly see-sawing it underneath, or strong underwater currents eroding it....all of these factors UNSEEN or undetected from above.  We can never lose sight of those possibilites while out there. When in my thirties I used to go by myself at night on 4 inches of ice after walleyes and be the sole person out here but not these days. Ice fishing is one of my favorite times of the fishing season but after some of the things I've experienced myself or seen happen to others I always maintain a healthy respect for the fact that I can "walk on water" but never let down my guard or take chances anymore. I'm sure those other guys out there share your sense of relief after getting back home alive.

Thanks bud. I always have respect for the ice, and will chalk this up as an expensive learning experience. When you ice fish long enough and learn to push the limits to get on the hot bite, things like this are bound to happen eventually. Most of the hardcore ice guys I know have had a bad experience or two, but that didn't stop them from doing what they love. I spend a lot of my time on Oneida and that ice can never be trusted, even if it's a foot thick.
I will be on the radio show "Let's Catch Fish" with Capt Ken Strimple on Wednesday, talking about ice fishing and ice safety. I'm sure I can use this experience to help others be safe and catch more fish.

Well said Les, How do we start a go fund me page to get King Slammin some new gear
and back to slammin. Id be happy to donate some gear to get you going again.
Feel free to Pm me your address King , could send some tip ups ??? Whatever.

Thanks bud. I appreciate everybody's outpouring of support here and on all the other forums I participate. I will gather new gear and be back at next year, maybe sooner. If you really want to help out, take a kid fishing and teach them to enjoy the outdoors like we do. But do it safely. Also if you see me out there fishing, come over and say hi. I have made some of my best friends through random fishing trips.

7 minutes ago, King Slammin said:

Thanks bud. I appreciate everybody's outpouring of support here and on all the other forums I participate. I will gather new gear and be back at next year, maybe sooner. If you really want to help out, take a kid fishing and teach them to enjoy the outdoors like we do. But do it safely. Also if you see me out there fishing, come over and say hi. I have made some of my best friends through random fishing trips.

You have my support!! King, always giving good info well thought out posts!! I'm sure we will bump into each other in the near future. I wish I could go like you do, as I once did. You defiantly give people the inspiration or drive to take the bull by the horns!! To get off the couch and JUST DO IT.

Did you save the fish? [emoji4]

I think the lesson is to watch the wind carefully. That NE wind got ya. Be thankful it didn't happen in the middle of the night.

No different than Oneida or Erie when part of the lake is open.

Fish are gone. Sucks because two were going on my wall. I hear ya about the wind and if it were windy, I would agree with you. But it was calm. The current however was pulling hard out to the lake. I just didn't think it was strong enough to pull apart over a mile of ice with it.