Ice ice baby!

longspurs

3 minutes ago, King Slammin said:

Fish are gone. Sucks because two were going on my wall. I hear ya about the wind and if it were windy, I would agree with you. But it was calm. The current however was pulling hard out to the lake. I just didn't think it was strong enough to pull apart over a mile of ice with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Damn, how big were the ones going on the wall? Knowing you a fish ,of a lifetime.:tmi:

What was it like? What started to happen telling you there was a problem? How far from shore were you?

There was no warning. We were pounding fish, had my limit by 7 am. My buddy got out to pee, and saw a crack 30' behind us, and a few seconds later, it all started breaking up between us and shore. I was still in my bed jigging and had to hurry up and get my boots on, toss what I could over the first crack and react. In less than two minutes I had to abandon all my gear, grab the rope on my hut and run. I jumped 7 or 8 cracks, with the last one being about three feet, skipped my hut across and ran to the sled. Tied the hit up and hauled as toward safety. There was prob 30 other guys and girls out there and I just yelled to everybody to get the hell out of there.

We were about 3 miles out from the beach

King Slammin, That is scary stuff there, Glad only gear was lost.  Could you explain your fishing tech to us Tip ups?  some sort of alarm system??  or do you just wake up every so often and jig?  In trapping we call it trap line management a very important, poorly understood part of trapping.  What sort of system do you do.  Thank......jk

King Slammin, That is scary stuff there, Glad only gear was lost.  Could you explain your fishing tech to us Tip ups?  some sort of alarm system??  or do you just wake up every so often and jig?  In trapping we call it trap line management a very important, poorly understood part of trapping.  What sort of system do you do.  Thank......jk

I just jigged spoons and raps tipped with minnows all day and part of the night. Jigged a little over night when I woke up mainly tried to sleep from midnight to 4 am. I used a lowrance elite 7 sonar/ GPS that I had rigged up for ice. Tipups didn't produce anything after the first two days.

Gotta wonder, the weather being calm and settled. No real run off influx from the tribs. What the heck would suddenly break up 10 inches of ice from a mile away of open lake water.
We have had some seismic activity in the main lake before this a few times. Wonder if there was any of that going on?...might check that out. Water levels have changed dramatically from some deep seismic tremors under the lake.
Can't believe that the ice that thick could just break up out of nowhere, especially in a bay where there is relatively low water fluctuations normally.

cent frum my notso smartphone

The main cause was strong current, flowing back to the lake. I noticed it in my line but didn't think it was that strong. I can't verify the thickness of the ice much past where I was set up but there were guys at least a 1/2 mile further then us on the back side of herricks the night before.

The ice was already cracked from strong West winds. It didn't just break up, it was already in large pieces. I was on Chaumont last weekend.

The wind was very light yesterday out of the NE according to wunderground. My guess is that the West wind held the ice in there despite the current. Until the wind got light and switched.

That is crazy. I fished johnson yesterday and it was open water at the end of johnson shoal or just beyond. Hard to believe guys were fishing herrick the day before. This has been a crazy season as far as ice conditions go..... Never can be too careful I guess. Glad nobody took a swim or worse.

I couldnt buy a perch saturday. Marked several walleye and iced one.. IMG_1486956629.347125.thumb.jpg.32864d482c9d80cbe9207c84edd21660.jpg

Glad your ok but now you scared the crap out of me for my first ever planned trip up there Friday.  The more we icefish, the more we live on borrowed time. Eventually, something like this or worse seems to happen and sometimes it happens to the most experienced of us.  I went through once in deep water and another time one of my legs found a hole and I went down to my hip. I still go a couple of times a week though. Just always have that healthy respect in the back of my mind.

That is crazy. I fished johnson yesterday and it was open water at the end of johnson shoal or just beyond. Hard to believe guys were fishing herrick the day before. This has been a crazy season as far as ice conditions go..... Never can be too careful I guess. Glad nobody took a swim or worse.

I couldnt buy a perch saturday. Marked several walleye and iced one.. IMG_1486956629.347125.thumb.jpg.32864d482c9d80cbe9207c84edd21660.jpg

Yeah we're right at the end of Johnson. Almost though about going out to where we saw guys on herrick that night before but with all our gear to pack up and the bite turning on we decided to stay.

There certainly isn't ANYTHING to be embarrassed about  because it can happen to anyone at any time and when you do a lot of this stuff the probabilities can catch up with you and it has little to do with being experienced either or being real familiar with the appearance of the ice or even taking measurements as you go out. Walking on water is always uncertain and dangerous. We ice fishermen are a curious breed and as most folks who don't do it including family think we're freakin crazy.....but love of the game drives it and hopefully as time goes along we become a little more cautious and say to ourselves....there is always another day to go after them when conditions don't appear great:)

Edited by Sk8man

It really is a numbers game. No matter how experienced we are the probabilities catch up with us at some point. All we can do is make the best decisions possible with the info at hand each and every time we go out on the ice. We all know its a calculated risk each time we fish. Be safe out there. Be prepared.