Ice ice baby!

longspurs

what a day for big fish yesterday. went to conesus in the am. set up 6 flags for pike, 5 of them had shiners and the 6th had a 9in dead golden shiner. At 730 flag goes off it is the 9 inch dead shiner. I get over to it and it is not moving . soon as I kneel down it starts to take off, I set the hook and it just stops me with some big head shakes. I then managed to get him to the whole and I see nothing but head. As I'm fighting him at the hole I get his head just about in the hole and he swims out. It is the biggest tiger ever caught. 38 1/4 in. long snake real thin . About 3 hours later I get another flag I set the hook on this one and it feels like a good one again. I start pulling in the line and pulling wondering how far this fish went before I saw the flag up. It gets to the hole and again I see nothing but head. While I'm fighting the fish at the hole the gaff is at my shanty so with all the excess line I have on the ice I hang onto the line and make it to my shanty . I then look at the hole that's now 30 yards away and thank I should just drop the line and book to the whole as fast as I can, so I did and it was still on. With a short fight at the hole the giff came handy. My biggest tiger and my longest pike.
for those that don't like both dead fish I was in a tournament. or I would have let them go . They will be eaten and skull mount. 1487520789195.jpg1487520794625.jpg1487520797484.jpg

Sent from my SM-N900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Terrific and good eating too.  How long was the pike?.....jk

thanks !!! 38in . was tough to tell what one was bigger. pike was 9.56lbs and tiger was 9.43lbs. couldn't believe how skinny both fish were but the pike was a male and tiger is just a skinny eating machine.

• 3 weeks later...

stopped at long pond and talked to a buddy who was out fishing long pond. he had a couple nice perch but fishing was slow . entertainment on the other hand was good , u see lots of things sometimes. a guy fished out of his boat while his friend fished right next to him on the ice. the guy used a shovel to push himself out and the rope to pull himself in... if it's that bad he should just stay home. 1489864241868.jpg

1 hour ago, longspurs said:

stopped at long pond and talked to a buddy who was out fishing long pond. he had a couple nice perch but fishing was slow . entertainment on the other hand was good , u see lots of things sometimes. a guy fished out of his boat while his friend fished right next to him on the ice. the guy used a shovel to push himself out and the rope to pull himself in... if it's that bad he should just stay home. 1489864241868.jpg

He is breaking the law by not wearing a life jacket in a boat under 21' at this time of the year!  lol

• 8 months later...

Just drove by Braddock's Bay one guy running tip ups . Six groups on cranberry by the parking lot. Nobody at Long Pond but all iced over. Nobody at Buck pond but all iced over. If you plan on going out bring a spud I have no clue what the ice conditions are like

Sent from my Pixel XL using Lake Ontario United mobile app