Wilson pen rearing salmon 2017

Good and bad. The good......Wilson will enjoy better staging and pier fishing. The bad....we take 10,000 fish out of Niagara county waters, black salmon swimming around Wilson Harbor, and less fish in the Olcott and Niagara runs.

So far the other ports between Olcott and fair Haven have the same crappy staging and pier fishing since the start of the pens. Those fish must get caught up in the offshore school and keep trucking east.

Pens have done zero for fall fishing.

Lake Ontario salmon fishing charters

So far the other ports between Olcott and fair Haven have the same crappy staging and pier fishing since the start of the pens. Those fish must get caught up in the offshore school and keep trucking east.

Pens have done zero for fall fishing.

Lake Ontario salmon fishing charters

Although the pens have been the savior survival-wise, with increased predation on direct stockers, your point is valid. We aren't sure if its a case of "getting caught up in the school", or just missing the imprinting(with all fish raised in ONE hatchery). This is a constant and ongoing problem. The idea of trying a pen in Wilson was just an answer to the poor deal offered (trade 2 direct stocks for 1 pen held) to an area that does not enjoy any natural reproduction and has seen diminished fall returns already. We do believe that high predation, particularly in the Niagara river and the bar area occurs on the direct stock with all the birds, warm water species, and immense Lake Trout population there in the Spring.

The Wilson project is small, but will have great space and manpower available, while at the same time allow the pen fish to be spread out. The hope is besides the improved survival, that should low flows exist that they will just run nearby Niagara river, instead of vaporizing to the Salmon river.  

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Are the wilson pens being assembled at oak orchard as well?

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

The Oak pens are separate. The Wilson pen project is an offshoot of the Olcott/Niagara river projects, as region 9 is only allotted so many total pen fish. The Olcott pens are being put together Sat April 8 at the Newfane town marina. When I know more about the Wilson pens I will update here. Thx.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/16/2016 at 10:19 AM, Capt Vince Pierleoni said:

Although the pens have been the savior survival-wise, with increased predation on direct stockers, your point is valid. We aren't sure if its a case of "getting caught up in the school", or just missing the imprinting(with all fish raised in ONE hatchery). This is a constant and ongoing problem. The idea of trying a pen in Wilson was just an answer to the poor deal offered (trade 2 direct stocks for 1 pen held) to an area that does not enjoy any natural reproduction and has seen diminished fall returns already. We do believe that high predation, particularly in the Niagara river and the bar area occurs on the direct stock with all the birds, warm water species, and immense Lake Trout population there in the Spring.

The Wilson project is small, but will have great space and manpower available, while at the same time allow the pen fish to be spread out. The hope is besides the improved survival, that should low flows exist that they will just run nearby Niagara river, instead of vaporizing to the Salmon river.  

Any Info on the pens? I Plan on being in olcott tomorrow to attach the nets and do maintenance. 

Drove down to bootleggers marina today and saw they had a pair of pens in the parking lot. No one I talked with at olcott on Saturday had any info on the wilson project. Anyone know the work date or anything on volunteer info?

Drove down to bootleggers marina today and saw they had a pair of pens in the parking lot. No one I talked with at olcott on Saturday had any info on the wilson project. Anyone know the work date or anything on volunteer info?

All I could find out is Olcott delivery is expected Monday April 17. The Wilson delivery is expected next week as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app