Tournament Angling Dipsey Setups

RD9

Do any of the tourney guys run long leads on dipsey as long as 20ft? I have run slide divers for years and they work but I prefer regular dipsey's. I have watched every Salmon Showdown episode and it is a very common technique in Michigan. I understand the concept of being stealthy but why even when they are fishing in tight do they still do it. I understand it out deep but in tight what is the theory behind it.

Does anyone on Ontario do it consistently? I keep think this would be a great deep water walleye technique in Erie.

water clarity is the main reason you guys are saying? I understand that. I guess my question more implies to what is the actual benefit of a spread. Seems like when they run them in tight like that less then 50 ft of water there is a more complex though process. or maybe they are so used to doing it that way they will do it regardless of water depth or clarity. If feasible some days I'd like to run 6 three hundred coppers vs a normal spread at the same depth.

Lake Michigan guy here. These days we seem to only run short leaders on dipsies for cohos or when bouncing bottom for lake trout. Our success rate went way up on kings when we started running long leaders. Last year our best was around 25' the previous year 50' was best. The longer leaders actually work in shallow water better than anywhere else because the boat spooks the fish. The only scenario where we'll run a short leader for kings is with a jplug down deep in August when the fish are starting to stage but haven't come into the piers yet. It's a rig aimed at triggering a strike out of aggression.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United