Spin and glows

Gill-T

I recently purchased some 00 size spin-and-glows (2"). I generally like to support local tackle shops but some stuff you need to go looking online for. The benefit of seeing the tackle in your hand helps in the selection process. Seeing a 00 size two inch spin-and-glow in my hand I have to wonder if they are too big? Anyone have any experience with the bigger size for Lake Ontario lakers?

I did the same thing as you and purchased size 00 ones online and thought they were too big when I got them. I tried them in a smaller lake (nothing hit them) and on lake Ontario with success. I have caught all sizes  of Lakers on them from 2 lbs to 25 lbs. I tried running both larger and medium sizes at the same time and found they produced about the same in terms of numbers and sizes. Now, I have only fished for Lakers 3 times and used them so my experience with them is limited. I would say rig it  and just try it. I caught my smallest and largest Lakers on the size 00.

I have read that Best Chance Too crew uses the 00 size quite a bit but there is very little internet info on them.  I am not afraid to use big baits for Lakers, in fact my spoon size in the early spring is 5.5"-6", but the spin-and-glow or peanut bait is more of a small morsel pattern......the 00 size is a BIG morsel.  If they don't hit well I can always put them in the middle of a fly leader as an added "mesmerizer".

last year was the first year i tried the spin and glows for lake trout . i fished the finger lakes and i ordered Gambler spin and glows in the the mags and did poor with them . i switch to the regs and crush the lake trout with them for the rest of season . 

I have never had much luck with the 00 spin n glos.  I have caught a couple fish on them over the years but there are better options IMO.  With the rigs I make, there is a time and a place for magnums and a time and a place for the regulars.  I have found over 20+ years of targeting lakers, it is all bait dependant.  If there are alewives around, Magnums (in silvers and glows) are the go to size.  If the alewives are not around, smelt and gobies will be the food of choice and regulars (in glows and bright colors) will dominate.  I have messed around with a ton of stuff over the years.  I have even tried walleye worm harnesses with minnows on them and caught lakers.  There are times they will eat anything and times they will be picky.