Otisco Ice Fishing 2016 Thread

tman12

Got about 2 1/2 - 3 inches out there by the dam as of today. I walked out to scout it out, there was one guy out there for a few hours. Seems to be a big soft spot running through the middle of the ice, so be careful if anyone's going out. I'm waiting for at least two more cold days like we have had, but we'll see if the forecast flops and brings us some nice cold weather. Stay safe out there, let's keep this a running thread for the season. Hope to see what everyone gets ! Good luck out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

5 + cars out on lake today. Somebody got a 40" tiger, kept it unfortunately. Looking to head out tmrw afternoon. Everything's ready to go, just hoping the ice will be as well

I don't keep fish but what's the problem with someone keeping a tiger musky? I get the whole c&r on pure muskys because you don't want to hurt your breeding population but tigers are sterile and will never breed

It isnt anyone's place to say what another angler should do with their legally caught fish, but it takes over 10+ years for tigers to get thick and mature and with the size if the lake many of us would love to see less kept and more big fish. That being said you cant release em all even if you want to...40 inches isnt really a very big tiger, but for some people its the biggest fish they have ever seen. Tman, like myself, thinks of the tigers as a sportfish better suited to c&r when possible....

Justin Okrepki

NYSDEC licensed guide #7324

http://www.otiscolakeguideservice.com/

(607)-349-1750

Spot on Justin. Wasn't looking to start a debate with this thread, just would've liked to have heard it was released. I'm walking out now, Black and grey frabill hut, if you see me and your from the forum stop on in. Stay safe fishing everybody. Will keep ya posted with how I do.

Solid couple hours out there, darkness crept up on me fast. I'll be out tomorrow as well. Got about 50-60, 25 keeper size. Perch and gills. No crappie, everyone I've talked to hasn't even seen one come through so far. Guy out there got 4 tigers, biggest being 28. Found out a 37" was also caught and released yesterday. I had one flag go up but was off by the time I ran over. Ice is anywhere from 2-4", thicker in the middle. Bigger gills coming up from bottom if you can get past the millions of 4 inch perch. Lots of holes drilled out there so watch your footing.

post-160149-14824467778719_thumb.jpg

Glad to hear your out there tman. Thanks for the updates and thanks for doing your part to introduce the idea of "growing" big tigers to people that otherwise may have never had the idea cross their mind. Good luck this season! I'll see you when I get out there.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Everything's good here pikefreak. Last crappie reports I got were from a client of mine who did very well just north of the causeway near the marina a month ago or so by boat. I bet there are eyes at the causeway at night still as well.

Justin Okrepki

(607)-349-1750

Give a shout when your down pikefreak. And Sounds good Andrew, let me know when you are coming up, I'd love to fish with ya. Hoping to get into a tiger or two tomorrow, gonna focus more on the tip ups rather than the gills tmrw

From what I hear coming form the guys that fish Otisco it's similar in winter to what goes on at Conesus, once it ice ups. Tents and windbreakers blanket the lake with many fishing for Esox. Most of the guys out on the ice are meat fisherman and even if they aren't many improperly handle the fish on the ice, thus insuring the fish will likely die. I wish they had some way to better control the slaughter of (10 to 15+) pound fish. Yes it's legal, just perhaps not ethical. Some of the largest fish in the lake come out thru holes in the ice and they usually don't go back. Big pike grow relatively slow as well and 20 pounders have been taken thru the ice.

The whole musky thing for me is like hunting. I certainly wouldn't kill a cheetah, cuz I'm not going to eat it. A musky is a sport fish, not going to eat that either. Right on tman & tracytrolling.

Besides depending on where you fish Musky's have to be at least 40" to keep, or longer in some waterways. And the season for musky's is closed until the last in May.

Tigermusky's or Norlunge have the same season as pike. But a larger size limit 30" in NYS, 36" for Otisco.

I believe any adult member of any member of the Esox family should be respected and valued not just Musky's or Hybrids. It takes a Northern Pike often over 10 years to reach 10+ pounds

Edited by NPike

Solid couple hours out there, darkness crept up on me fast. I'll be out tomorrow as well. Got about 50-60, 25 keeper size. Perch and gills. No crappie, everyone I've talked to hasn't even seen one come through so far. Guy out there got 4 tigers, biggest being 28. Found out a 37" was also caught and released yesterday. I had one flag go up but was off by the time I ran over. Ice is anywhere from 2-4", thicker in the middle. Bigger gills coming up from bottom if you can get past the millions of 4 inch perch. Lots of holes drilled out there so watch your footing.

attachicon.gifIMG_1482446774.436317.jpg

be very careful when walking on such thin early ice? Bring a pole test the ice (they actually make something specifically for this for testing the ice). Good luck

Edited by NPike

Connor is spot on...They see significant mortality from fishing all season....And they are sought out as tablefare way more than you realize...the tip ups spread all over combined with letting em take it both bug me, but hey to each their own and honestly the fishery continues to produce. Also far less are killed now than any time in the past. We all need to chill out when we see a dead tiger...And yes I'm more guilty of this than most...I'd love to see a year where none of us have a meltdown here on the forum over dead tigers that are stocked in large numbers. Mind you anyone taking a guided trip with me will be putting them back AND they aren't gonna be handled much....

Justin Okrepki

(607)-349-1750

Connor is spot on...They see significant mortality from fishing all season....And they are sought out as tablefare way more than you realize...the tip ups spread all over combined with letting em take it both bug me, but hey to each their own and honestly the fishery continues to produce. Also far less are killed now than any time in the past. We all need to chill out when we see a dead tiger...And yes I'm more guilty of this than most...I'd love to see a year where none of us have a meltdown here on the forum over dead tigers that are stocked in large numbers. Mind you anyone taking a guided trip with me will be putting them back AND they aren't gonna be handled much....

Justin Okrepki

NYSDEC licensed guide #7324http://www.otiscolakeguideservice.com/

(607)-349-1750

X2 they are the fish of 10,000 casts as well. Edited by moonfish