42 second spoon seems to be a hot one

Gotta bite,

This spoon has been our best spoon hands down for the past few years. We make many variations and they all work, and probably everyone has their own variation. Our base spoon is an NK 28 or NK mag size green thunder either with a silver or gold inside cup. My favorite variations are:

1.) simple laser ladder tape

2.) laser ladder tape overlapped by glow ladder tape

3.) glow ladder overlapped with clear bubble ladder tape

4.) glow ladder tape overlapped with black ladder

5.) glow ladder on top of green ladder

I always put a small or medium sized eye on the hook end of the spoon, typically with some red in the eye

Good luck,

- Chris

Most of the guys at the Oak are running either Dreamweavers or Silver Streaks. DW has the actual 42 second spoon already taped up. The "original" 42 second was created at the Oak by taking a green thunder Silver Streak (dark green with black edges) and taping it up with a glow ladder followed by a silver lazer ladder and topped off with a large glow eye at the bottom of the blade.

Good luck!

Paul

aVJ2s50.jpg i have one given to me by the inventor of this spoon and the diff between the photo and the one he made for me is the ladders 2 were cut down the middle the left side of each one applied back to back gave it a reversed ladder effect one applied foward and one applyed backwards.opps PIRATE CHARTERS told me he was the one who origaneted the spoon though the oak has another person listed as the maker.

OK......call me stupid, but look at that spoon! Now I have caught many fish on that the last few years. I just don't understand what a huge glow eye at the back of the spoon represents! Dont get me wrong....I have a few spoons like this. But does any form of bait fish in Lake O have an eye on the tail end of it?

The lodic is that the spoon represents a wounded baitfish and isn't necessarily swimming "forward" as it wobbles. Salmonids like to eat their prey head first, so the idea is that the eye at the hook end of the spoon gets the fish to hit the business end and produces more hook ups...

Sounds good? Anyone got data on swivel end vs. hook end eyes?

Some manufacturers only put the eyes on the hook end (Pro King, etc.).

I understand the logic, but it worries me that a Salmon would think a baitfish can swim backwards, but know to bite when thunderstorms roll through.

Isn't it kind of like a flasher in front of a fly? The flasher representing the gamefish and the fly the prey item? That's always seemed backwards to me too, but it sure does work...

YT - Maybe they think it's a small Bowfin. :?: Actually, Bluntnose minnow, & Spottail shiner have very pronounched spots there. One could also argue that Lake Chubs & some perch type minows have spots in that vicinity at some stage in their lives. What baitfish has a silver or red treble hook for a tail? Which ones glow in the dark?

Ray - Don't change the split rings, leave them as is, just turn the spoon around...

Tom B.

(LongLine)

yankee ,jammer gots it did you ever see a fish bigger at its tail than its front end?did you notice the BIG eye simular to a mooneye.when you start pulling fish outa the water with the bait in its moulth tailfirst then change the location of the eye.... till then you might consider putting a spoon down with the eyes on the big end....................but im just a learning here......thanks long line ill put the rods in the holders tip first next time ,boy you saved me a bunch of time...........

• 2 weeks later...

The 42-second spoon I run is a DW with a glow ladder back first and a silver (I use silver prism) over the top. The original spoon was first run by Tommy Boddi (Screaming Reels) it was called an emerald by silver streak. Dave Siegfried (Tracker) added the glow and it became the 42-second spoon. How did it get its name? The story is that when you put it down it would go within 42 seconds. It has been a staple in the Oak Captains boxes for many years. Tommy Boddi told me today that silver streak use to call it the UGT (ugly green thing) because no one would buy it, how things change?

Bob Songin :D

That spoon covers pretty much all the grounds as far as colors go. Black, Green, Green glow, Silver, and depending on the sun gold or silver belly. My wife taped one up on an NK that doesn't show that much green. We will put that one out first the next time we get out on our boat- ( whenever that will be). Rock on -Mick