Trail camera reviews

hawkeye625

I run cameras 365 days a year. Most brands I've run last about 2 years before issues start. My most recent cameras have been problem free for 2 years now so thought I'd share with lou friends. Browning strike force have been the best for me. The only issue I've seen is when battery life is below 50% I start getting black pics at night. Fresh batteries resolve the issue.

What do you guys run? And how reliable are they?

I've had bad luck with Bushnell, hco, covert, and Moultrie.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I have 3 cudde backs. A 7 yr old attack IR, a black flash and a regular IR both 2 years old. I have had zero issue with the newer ones. The old attack has the same issue when battery drops below 50%. It still continues to take pics just the occasional all black pic at night. Only other issue I have with them all is the crappy mount that comes with them. Had one of the plastic POS mounts crack where the strap runs through while taking it down in sub zero temps. The batteries last a good long time even when set to video. The mode that takes a pic then a 30 sec video is awesome- got some great video of bucks chasing doe after the initial pic took the picture of the doe

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

For the longest time I was hesitant to go heavy with cams, I was sure wiser deer were spooked by them. I now realize the benefits far outweigh any negatives but unfortunately most of my spots are not secure. The cuddebacks are great but they tend to disappear and arent cheap. I think for the money its hard to beat the Wildgame cams and the deer dont seem to stare at them like they are hypnotized.

Mine are all secured with python locks. Knock on wood....only had 1 stolen in 10 years and he cut the cable off...it was on posted land. Haven't had much issue with the camera bothering matures....but have noticed them shy away from areas I check often. Poor judgement on my part not being scent free I think.

Mine are all secured with python locks. Knock on wood....only had 1 stolen in 10 years and he cut the cable off...it was on posted land. Haven't had much issue with the camera bothering matures....but have noticed them shy away from areas I check often. Poor judgement on my part not being scent free I think.

Yes. The extra $20 for a python to secure your $150 camera is well worth it. I picked up an 8 pack on eBay so all cameras have the same key.

I run all Moultrie now. My first cam was a cuddeback 13 years ago with the old school flash. It is sort of amusing to look at it now and it cost a lot back then too.

I had my first issue with a Moultrie this year. The cam is 5 years old and started draining batteries very fast. Other than that they have worked great.

I have a number of Browning, a couple Coverts that are my oldest cams, and one Moultrie that a friend gave me. The coverts are 3 yrs. old and so far have worked good. The Brownings are new or last yr. The Strike Force is the best. I have a Dark Ops but the Strike Force does better. I'm considering a camera that sends pics to my cell or computer. Anyone have thoughts on what way to go. I'm with Verizon. Also, does anyone go back to the manufacturers website to check for software updates. That's something I've never done because things have been good and ....why screw it up if it's working?

I have a number of Browning, a couple Coverts that are my oldest cams, and one Moultrie that a friend gave me. The coverts are 3 yrs. old and so far have worked good. The Brownings are new or last yr. The Strike Force is the best. I have a Dark Ops but the Strike Force does better. I'm considering a camera that sends pics to my cell or computer. Anyone have thoughts on what way to go. I'm with Verizon. Also, does anyone go back to the manufacturers website to check for software updates. That's something I've never done because things have been good and ....why screw it up if it's working?

It won't matter what carrier you use for your cell. The trail camera has its own minimal plan.

Here is a good look at Moultrie Mobile. I am going to get one soon and I will post my results after some testing. Browning has something comparable but theirs is camera specific with no add on needed.

http://www.bowsite.com/BOWSITE/features/articles/equipment/MoultrieMobileReview/

Edited by reeleyz

I've run six Bushnell Trophy Cams for the past two years with no issues and great pictures. However, I bought one of their "no-glow" cameras this year and I'm less pleased with it. The night time pictures are really, really inferior to the low-glow model. And there's lots of contrast where it's set up...sun, bushes, shadows, etc...it doesn't do well on any of the settings I've tried. So, I'd stick with the low-glow model. Cheaper and yeah, the deer sometimes look at it, but they look at the no-glow too. 

I also put a Browning BTC-5HD (last year's model) out this fall just for kicks. Future purchases will be Browning. The pictures are better, the trigger speed is faster, the night images are clear; not by much, but just enough to convince me it's a better camera. I can't speak for longevity, though. 

Two equivalent pics below for comparison.

All of my cameras were purchased on ebay as at least year-old models for between $70-80 plus shipping, with normal retail in the $139 range. I would highly advise staying away from the sub-$50 cameras. They're basically throw-away.

11-15%20eight_zpssdqdhasp.jpg11-19%20eight_zpszfagzdfl.jpg

If you aren't in a hurry to purchase watch ebay and all major retailers. Cabelas just had the new strike force elites for $80. Trailcampro.com is best places to buy for warranty. They give a 90 day return and 2 year warranty on all regular price cameras. They also test all cameras and post results. I generally buy from them unless someone has a great sale or I have cabelas coupons.

Here's a picture from my no-glow set. The deer is less than 15' from the camera. I've messed with the settings and it hasn't gotten any better. And the deer still look at the camera.

10-20%20six%20point_zpsr4jxbs5q.jpg

I have been using the Moultrie M80's for a few years with AA lithium batteries which last a long time even in super cold weather.  They are holding up extremely well and are so simple to use.  Not great night pictures but they more than do the job for me and have never failed or broke even after several seasons of being out there in all kinds of weather.  

If the no-glow Bushnell looked like the Wildgame, I wouldn't have an issue with it! I bet that's why they're blowing them out for ~$80 now on ebay. It's amazing how model can be more important than manufacturer. I guess they all hit a dud sometimes.