Honoeye

trout1

Gator and I went to Honeoye this morning out of Sandy Bottom Beach.  If you head there this weekend, use EXTREME caution.  The shore ice was sketchy and there are open holes all over the north end almost down to Trident.  If they skim over this evening or we get a dusting of snow, they will be hidden well.  As for the fishing, lots of 2-7" perch.  We only brought home 5 big perch and 2 big gills.  Lots of effort for very little return.

I posted similar information on Ice Shanty right below the thread where a guy fell through multiple times trying to get to shore at Sodus (turned around and went to a known bad spot), and there's still guys who have never fished there before who want ice reports :question::question:

I'd think that when somebody tells you it's the sketchiest ice they've been on in years, you'd either prepare accordingly--if you're experienced and don't mind getting wet--or at least seriously reconsider your options. Even if it's stay at home and watch the playoffs. But there's always somebody...

I'd never tell anybody not to so whatever they want, and we were out there so I'm not going to cast stones, but if I were a newbie I guess I'd think twice before waltzing into an unknown and unsafe situation. Or at least I wouldn't advertise my IQ on a public forum :rofl:

11 hours ago, Gator said:

I posted similar information on Ice Shanty right below the thread where a guy fell through multiple times trying to get to shore at Sodus (turned around and went to a known bad spot), and there's still guys who have never fished there before who want ice reports :question::question:

I'd think that when somebody tells you it's the sketchiest ice they've been on in years, you'd either prepare accordingly--if you're experienced and don't mind getting wet--or at least seriously reconsider your options. Even if it's stay at home and watch the playoffs. But there's always somebody...

I'd never tell anybody not to so whatever they want, and we were out there so I'm not going to cast stones, but if I were a newbie I guess I'd think twice before waltzing into an unknown and unsafe situation. Or at least I wouldn't advertise my IQ on a public forum :rofl:

Happen to know if south launch is doable ?

My son and I fished the south end today for gills. The ice was variable but 4 inches plus in most places. There were guys fishing toward the middle and north of the launch for several hundred yards but not directly north in close east side. many fished the usual spots on the west side in close for gills. Most of the folks we spoke with on the way in had lookers but not hitters. We did pretty well on the big gills but had to really work for each one and threw back a bunch of dink perch and gills. If you didn't have a flasher you wouldn't have known there was anything there by the hits:lol: In past years we have fished the north end as well (my son lived there for quite a few years) and even in the best of years careful is the watchword as there are gas pockets that can be hidden especially by snow, sometime the ducks or geese keep areas open also. The area near Trident is very sketchy and there was recently open water there. Over the years a number of folks have fallen through or drowned on Honeoye and although it is a popular lake in ice season because it freezes early it is also potentially a very dangerous place as there are many little streams along the periphery that may not be visible when ice covered nearby but they do have an influence on the integrity of the ice around and near them (as in thin and poor quality). I've fished there since the 1960's and my main advice to newbies would be to go there with someone who knows the lake well and never go there alone.

Edited by Sk8man