Trap line 2016

stoneam2006

• 2 weeks later...

That  is some good eating right there.  Don't waste the meat.  Trapping is constantly learning, and don't forget the more you trap one spot, they are learning you.  Your beaver put up will speed up and the quality will improve too.  Keep at it and do coon too they will help you learn.  If you stop learning you loose in this game.....jk

No they aren't.  There are two easy ways to get the pelt off.  #1 mid line cut from tail to jaw, wack off feet cut around the tail.  Then take your hands and grab the skin in the middle of the belly on each side and pull HARD to each side.  Loosen each leg and flop on the belly.  One by one snap the pelt over each leg.  Loosen around the tail.  Now step on the tail(maybe both back feet) and pull hard the pelt off the back up to the neck area.  Carefully skin out the head.  The other way, that I have not done is to cut from the tail half way to the sternum bone.  knife skin that out hang up by the tail(cut a notch to make sure the rope does not slip and pull/cut down.  I have never done this.  The first way is easy up to the XL  43 44 45 pounds.  You should take some of that meat to eat, just the hams and back straps......jk

No they aren't.  There are two easy ways to get the pelt off.  #1 mid line cut from tail to jaw, wack off feet cut around the tail.  Then take your hands and grab the skin in the middle of the belly on each side and pull HARD to each side.  Loosen each leg and flop on the belly.  One by one snap the pelt over each leg.  Loosen around the tail.  Now step on the tail(maybe both back feet) and pull hard the pelt off the back up to the neck area.  Carefully skin out the head.  The other way, that I have not done is to cut from the tail half way to the sternum bone.  knife skin that out hang up by the tail(cut a notch to make sure the rope does not slip and pull/cut down.  I have never done this.  The first way is easy up to the XL  43 44 45 pounds.  You should take some of that meat to eat, just the hams and back straps......jk

I tried to pull it off couldn't had to knife my way all thru and was a royal pain. Fleshing went way better on this on than the first but came out goofy on board. Will keep practicing and hope to get better. I don't eat rodents lol. I don't even like plain deer meat I get it all smoked and what not. Always brings the yotes into the area tho will be staking this one down tho as they drug the last one off.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Nice work!!! Good looking beaver. Those yotes can be a bi$@h to trap... Wary critters. Glad your trapping season is going well. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

They are for sure and worst part is there's a guy who traps adjoining properties in october so they have seen sets and some have been taken already reducing the pop. Makes it tough

Glad ti hear the fleshing is going better.  On ones under 40 pounds you do not need a sharp knife until you get around the head mess.   I think beaver looked to be mid 30 pounds a large.  The belly skin can be pulled sideways off for several inches, then try to lift one side up and cut free the leather then lift the other sand cut free the leather pelt on that side.  Loosen the legs, flip etc.  Glad to hear you are trying, do not give up. You will like doing them after you get the hang of it and the buyers compliment you on your put up---then you have arrived!!!!  congratulations......jk  Oh wait till you get a super blanket-ha ha on you---nothing easy there

Reading the above it mentions that you might be trying for coyotes?  are you?

Yea I trap mainly k9 this is first year sence I was a kid that I've water trapped. I love catching fox and yotes but some years I do better than others. This year the guy who traps early season hammered them so I branched out my line expanding a few towns and the weather just is killing me lol. But you know the saying excuses are like a***** we all have one and they all stink lol. Hopefully I'll get to put a few more on the boards before the 15th.

That beaver I figure was 40 ish I don't have scale but have 40lb bags of coal and me and wife figured damn near the same with beaver possibly a touch heavier. But I yanked and pulled like the last one I did with no gain what so ever idk why but this one was tough.

8 hours ago, jk1 said:

That  is some good eating right there.  Don't waste the meat.  Trapping is constantly learning, and don't forget the more you trap one spot, they are learning you.  Your beaver put up will speed up and the quality will improve too.  Keep at it and do coon too they will help you learn.  If you stop learning you loose in this game.....jk

You know what they say, save a tree, eat a beaver!

3 minutes ago, lineman49 said:

You know what they say, save a tree, eat a beaver!

LoL, I know there both nice and fuzzy soft, he said he doesn't eat rats so now what :lol:

Shoot fish reminded me.....so the bookies have been rising while I've been trapping the 1 location. Pretty neat. About a month ago I found a 6in or so one on bank must be a bird or something got ahold of it. But wasn't eaten which was woerd. Hope to get down there with buddy (landowner) and try and hook some native brooks