Trap line 2016

stoneam2006

Great to see your lad involved.  I recall my oldest son trapping muskrats at 10 years old.  I went with him to set and the first check.  He managed to get his finger firmly held by a 1 1/2 longspring.  He squealed and pleaded with me to get it off.  It was hard, but I talked him through it.  He was to run the line by himself and removal of ones digits from a trap is a needed life skill.

Enjoy your time with your little man, won't be long and he will be a big man. 

Great to see your lad involved. I recall my oldest son trapping muskrats at 10 years old. I went with him to set and the first check. He managed to get his finger firmly held by a 1 1/2 longspring. He squealed and pleaded with me to get it off. It was hard, but I talked him through it. He was to run the line by himself and removal of ones digits from a trap is a needed life skill.

Enjoy your time with your little man, won't be long and he will be a big man.

Yea I hear that. He sets 1 long Springs now consistently gets pinched but I'd finaly past the panic point. Think he figured out if he panics and pulls it hurts more. He trys his hardest to set my 4 coil number 2s but he can barely move the levers let alone set it lol. Hopefully we get into some more fur here soon

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Weather has been so crappy with the freeze/thaws that I haven't even got any in the ground yet. My dog is going stir crazy as he usually runs the line with me, and my son is chomping at the bit

Yea it's nice not having ice to deal with yet but makes it more work to navigate the swamps.

Yea I hear that. He sets 1 long Springs now consistently gets pinched but I'd finaly past the panic point. Think he figured out if he panics and pulls it hurts more. He trys his hardest to set my 4 coil number 2s but he can barely move the levers let alone set it lol. Hopefully we get into some more fur here soon

Why does he keep getting pinched...is he using a safe technique that keeps his fingers clear?

Hey gotta question for the more advanced trappers than I. What's the best way to trap a fisher. The dumb ass Pa. game com. stocked these critters to control the turkey population, but 2 have found my uncles chickens. They ripped those chickens to shreds,what's the best way to trap these guys. I'm thinking a box with a 220 conibear, only I noticed from his trail cam. Pics. Is I'll need to set the trap further in like 8"s seems like they like to reach for things, and I want his head in there not snap the trap with its paws. Oh I'm going to use a box with 2" reliefs for the springs. I guess chicken would work for bait!!! LOL thanks PAP

Beaver meat or venison is best to use to fisher ether with a cubby set leaning pole or dirt hole set , they are easy to trap. Use a good skunky call lure too, but being on location is always the key

What do you guys mean skunky lure calls? A scent lure Or a, when you say "lure call" do you mean a scent, or a sound call? Sorry for the dumb arsh questions, been out of the scene for 20+ years, as with anything else things have advanced so much I feel like a beginner again. Thanks fella's

What do you guys mean skunky lure calls? A scent lure Or a, when you say "lure call" do you mean a scent, or a sound call? Sorry for the dumb arsh questions, been out of the scene for 20+ years, as with anything else things have advanced so much I feel like a beginner again. Thanks fella's

Jeff Dunlap hellfire or lightning in a bottle