Divers off the outriggers

No problem ,my mistake, I'm trying to figure out if the out rigger clips will hold full size divers. It adds 2 lines to the spread.on Oneida a full spread is downriggers, 2 mini dipsys off outriggers and 4 boards, would like to do the same on Ontario with 2 more divers of the side.

No problem ,my mistake, I'm trying to figure out if the out rigger clips will hold full size divers. It adds 2 lines to the spread.on Oneida a full spread is downriggers, 2 mini dipsys off outriggers and 4 boards, would like to do the same on Ontario with 2 more divers of the side.

There are some guys who use outriggers when running double divers. I'm not sure how, but I know it can be done. I believe Jason of Trout n About out of Sandy does this.

There are some guys who use outriggers when running double divers. I'm not sure how, but I know it can be done. I believe Jason of Trout n About out of Sandy does this.

Nope.  He just runs the normal two diver set up.  . 

I have run a four diver set using outriggers but I dont really see much of advantage. Its seems to be more trouble then what its worth. Im dragging big boards every day we are out so outriggers are left collecting dust in the garage. Tough to run both and Ill take the boards.

I have run a four diver set using outriggers but I dont really see much of advantage. Its seems to be more trouble then what its worth. Im dragging big boards every day we are out so outriggers are left collecting dust in the garage. Tough to run both and Ill take the boards.

Yup, I used to all the time. It's more of a pita than anything. Mine collect dust also. They look cool, but that's all their worth.

Lake Ontario salmon fishing charters

The method is using either a blacks release with the braid thru the clip but not twisted or an aftco roller release. Place diver in water next to boat, clip line in release, send release to end of outrigger, reset your linecounter and send it back.

There are  Black releases specifically made for outriggers.  They work great for the smaller dipseys and Chinooks but the drag is substantial with the 124 mm Walker dipseys and the larger dipseys are impractical used that way.  I've run 2 off each outrigger but as mentioned it can be a pain and they are much better run as one on each of the outriggers and the larger dipseys run normally off wire near the boat. I've run them that way since about 1979 without any major problems.

post-145411-0-19801800-1483149177_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sk8man

In any of the above post, is the outrigger worth the $$$ to say I need these to improve my catch, when you can run boards 50 to 100 feet off each side. Or is it more of an ornament to the boat?? I have access to a set but it looks like a nightmare unless there a 2ft of less chop? Most vids. I watched the water is like glass, is there a limit to the outriggers. Thanks for any input!!

Outriggers - They have their place over the in line boards which I also use by the way. I use outriggers during derbies and put fluorescent tape on them at intervals and it helps keep the aholes at bay that run over boards. They see the outriggers at a distance and avoid me. Big boards are probably better than in lines in rough water and outriggers properly mounted and relatively high up can be better than both (aluminum rather than fiberglass poles on the outriggers for better stiffness I have both types) in rough water. You can easily run multiple lines from them when you get a little experience using them.  I use Black outrigger  releases for my main ones and instead of twisting the line in them like in downriggers I just snap them over the line so I can let out or take up line as I desire while trolling. If additional lines are desired I use shower curtain clips and either offshores or clothespin releases for additional lines.

Edited by Sk8man

• 1 month later...

I run my out riggers when lady O is making my lines whistle. . The big advantage is to run coppers or lead in supper nasty days that the boards cant handle or do good in.. if its 3ft or less the big boards come out to get more distance ... I run roller Aftco on my out riggers. .blacks on the rest of the boat... i will also run an out riggers if im only fishing with one other guy due to rod limitations. . Easier to use I can deploy and pull my out riggers in 1/3 -the time to deal with one big board

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

There are guys that fish out of Black River Harbor in Upper Michigan that love the outriggers when its rough.  They set up kind of like a really long arm downrigger.  Some days the fish can't take the spoon being pulled up and away with out grabbing it

I have Taco 15 foot riggers. Wish I had 18 foot but, I have used blacks and AFTCO roller release clips. The AFTCO works ok with the divers, but not with copper. There simply isn't enough tension on the copper wire to keep the release from flopping around and if you run shorter than full length copper it will wear it in two. You are ok with running copper on the backing however, but in that case, why not run the blacks and twist the loop into the backing and clip it in the blacks and add some tension to the rod for quicker slack reduction and setting hooks. The roller style will not let you add any tension and results in poor hook up due to the rod flexing towards the release on a strike.
Pulling a single dipsey is possible on the Taco Aluminum poles. I don't recommend a Mag dipsey, but you can run a ring on the regular without any issues. In this case I run a blacks only for wide dipsey #2.5 to 3 sets and on BRAID only. Braid will slip over the pin without trouble. Wire will not, and eventually cause a weak spot where it wears on the pin. A roller will work better here. The roller will stay aligned better also, because the dipsey has so much tension on the wire. It will not flop around like the copper with the lower pulling resistance it allows.
It could be a great combination to rig both releases on the halyard and chose the one that functions best with the type of line you are using, either wire or braid, or even mono.
Roller for steel wire, NOT FOR COPPER!
Pin Black's for braid or mono.
Copper rigged short on outrigger, tie a D loop dental floss on the copper and hook the floss in the blacks. Keeps the copper safe from chafe, the floss can easily be replaced when it becomes worn.
Aside from being a sexy flag flying addition to your offshore machine, they truly are effective at widening the spread and where boards are just too much hassle without a few buds onboard. Great in rough water, great for turning around in tighter maneuvers. Not the cheapest addition, but what isn't in the world of fishing convenience.

cent frum my notso smartphone

I was hoping the "outrigger king" (Mark) would pipe in :) Great info as always and spot on.  One of the things not mentioned yet is the quality of the outriggers versus cost. The really good holders and outriggers (usually mainly saltwater users and brands such as Taco and Tigress etc.) are quite pricey (e.g. 1,000 -1500 or more depending on length and brand but they are heavy duty and will last a long time. The ones the "big boys" use in the saltwater environment may run into the thousands. There are cheaper ones such as Dotlines that cost a few hundred for the kit including the holders and outrigger poles. There are also fiberglass outriggers which are substantially cheaper but keep in mind they are better for calm days because they flex and "whip" considerably in rough water. The cheaper aluminum outrigger poles are a bit stiffer and better but they don't compare with the better one like Taco and Tigress. The more critical thing is the outrigger holders. The more expensive ones mentioned are pretty "bulletproof" in terms of the materials and stablity/durability but you need the right design and size of boat to support them as they are pretty bulky and relatively heavy and require a real spacey place and very sturdy base to mount them. This can be either on a hard top boat or from the gunwwales. Here the height of the hard top and gunwaales is important and the poles need to be angled in such a way to avoid "slapping" the water when it gets rough. Something worth mentioning about the cheaper recessed mount Dotlines is that the recessed holders themselves are relatively short length so if you already have deeper recessed holders the holder inserts that angle outward won't fit the holders because they are too short and may also be at the wrong angle to the bottom pin of the recessed holder in your gunwale. There are other potential ways around this problem if you already have the recessed holders installed in the gunwales....you can use separate heavy duty stainess steel rod holders (see pic below) inserted into the recessed ones but your recessed ones have to be heavy duty and mounted very solid on the gunwales as the outrigger poles will  sit up off the gunwale pretty good and there is some torque involved. I have a "double" setup on my boat as I can run mine off the Perko rod holders mounted to the front SS  rail in the front or the recessed holders at the sides toward the back (4 of them). When running solo I use the sides for easy reach. The left side pic is the SS rodholder/outrigger holder. The one at the right is the Dotline outrigger holder with mount and to the right of it unnamed outrigger holder I had in the late seventies. These options are used on smaller boats.

rodholders1.jpg

dotlineandother.jpg

Edited by Sk8man

Thanks for the crown Les!..I have had a lot of tial and error experience application on Lake Ontario using basically proven salt water techniques but adapting to our way of spreading lines in deep water. Most salt water applications using outriggers are for top water teasers and baits run at high speeds that seldom employ depth achieved tackle at slow speed as we do on the lake.
I have learned some expensive mistakes that have forced some innovation and a few work that I can share.1487373824524.jpg
The floss and copper on the outriggers. In the case you have a 600 foot copper and you want only to use shorter deployment, 300, 400 etc. The floss is strong, but soft and flexible. It will hold the copper in a nice arch away from the release. Will not damage the copper. It will also reel in through the guides and roll onto the reel spool very smoothly. Permanent marker on the floss can color different length of copper out. It's down fall is durability, over a few days of use it can become weak and break, but easily replaced.
1487374391336.jpg
How it is tied. Same as a bowstring D loop. It will not slip if tied properly.
1487374472652.jpg
Fully deployed on the Stand and Deliver trolling 9 lines.
2 long copper wires on the outriggers 11 feet over the surface and angled back even with stern.
3 downrigger ball sets
2 divers set on #1
2 stealth short 100 copper stacked on the out down cables.

cent frum my notso smartphone

Installed Taco Grand Slam 380 bases and 18' aluminum Taco poles beginning of last season... Skip & Sk8 have nailed a lot of great applications, tips, tricks, and rigging guidlines for use on Lake O. I found them to be another great tool in the arsenal... And that sound when you hear a rod fire off one... its something I dream about!! Haha

1487383776315.jpg

1487383828748.jpg

1487383896291.jpg

1487383915004.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Installed Taco Grand Slam 380 bases and 18' aluminum Taco poles beginning of last season... Skip & Sk8 have nailed a lot of great applications, tips, tricks, and rigging guidlines for use on Lake O. I found them to be another great tool in the arsenal... And that sound when you hear a rod fire off one... its something I dream about!! Haha

1487383776315.thumb.jpg.3dbd04dec3f0895be02a80fb611c9f6d.jpg

1487383828748.thumb.jpg.acec40313ec7ea3261e6f9de9a861947.jpg

1487383896291.thumb.jpg.563074dc8778c8a0ddb48093465946ac.jpg

1487383915004.thumb.jpg.e03794b8841c0eadea05ba69ed084928.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Always loved that sound!!!

Sent from my XT1585 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

4 hours ago, skipper19 said:

Thanks for the crown Les!..I have had a lot of tial and error experience application on Lake Ontario using basically proven salt water techniques but adapting to our way of spreading lines in deep water. Most salt water applications using outriggers are for top water teasers and baits run at high speeds that seldom employ depth achieved tackle at slow speed as we do on the lake.
I have learned some expensive mistakes that have forced some innovation and a few work that I can share.1487373824524.jpg
The floss and copper on the outriggers. In the case you have a 600 foot copper and you want only to use shorter deployment, 300, 400 etc. The floss is strong, but soft and flexible. It will hold the copper in a nice arch away from the release. Will not damage the copper. It will also reel in through the guides and roll onto the reel spool very smoothly. Permanent marker on the floss can color different length of copper out. It's down fall is durability, over a few days of use it can become weak and break, but easily replaced.
1487374391336.jpg

1487374472652.jpg

Holy shyt skipper that pick of you in operation looks WAY to scary for this guy. FleetTracker catches a shyt pile of fish, nobody can take that away from the man. From my point of view I'd say you need a well seasoned crew, or a well oiled partner to make this happen? I can honestly say that I would have a major cluster:::F going on, I little burp from the kicker motor on a breezy day. :o  LOL