Looking for 30-06 semi

fmrdd0331

Thanks for the info.  Live east of Rochester so thinking somewhere closer.  I've heard of the 7400 semi was nice and I hear you can find one for a couple hundred but haven't seen any.  i wouldn't even do a trade for my bolt action, probably just keep it.  Just cant find anyone looking to sell their older 30-06 semis.  Ive always wanted one, just no luck.  I'll keep my eyes and ears open though.  thanks again.

Found two different rifles. A 742 woodsmaster for $350 from WI that I would have to use an ffl or a 750 synthetic from Gander but they take trade ins. Heard 742s jamming horrow stories. Decisions decisions. Anyone have good or bad stories on these two guns?

I had a 742 about 20 years ago. It jammed alot I hunt now with a browning bar 30 06 and never had a jam with it, gander takes trades about 40% of the value of your gun. good luck

Remington 742 and 7400 series guns are nick named the jam o magic for reason. They jam and jam frequently. I'm not sure your reasoning behind wanting a semi but if it is for quick follow up shots may I suggest to you the 760 or 7600. Pump rifle are just as reliable as bolt actions and when useing the action the pumping motion brings the gun back down on your target for a fast follow up shot. The most favorable gun to all trackers and big woods hunters is a pump. I have both a 742 and a 760 in the carbine version and would take the 760 over the 742 any day. Just food for thought. If you take your semi and your pump and do aimed follow up shots I bet you won't see a difference in speed. Just my opinion been hunting the big woods of the Adirondack s and do absolutely no stand hunting where i hunt now for most of my life and have had very few times where my 760 let me down. Can't say the same about the 742.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Ive always wanted a semi since I was in the service. Have a 30-06 bolt action, 12 guage pump, and I woyld like to have a semi. Even considering 243 semi. Dad has one n he loves it. Getting good info and recommendations. I still hunt but own land right next to state land. Ppl jump them n they are running full bore a lot on my land. I like the luxury of the semi.

Again like a said before running shots on a deer are a common place with my hunting style. Go with the pump will be much happier than having a single shot semi auto. I say this from experience. Nothing worse than spending all day tracking to jump a buck and miss with your first shot and not have a speedy second because the gun jammed. Also 243 is awful light round for deer that your shot is anything less than perfect.

I do understand stand the I just always wanted one. But not sure you will be happy with the remington platform. I'm sure the newer ones are more reliable however for basically the same gun I would go with the pump over there semi. They look and carry almost identical.

Again like a said before running shots on a deer are a common place with my hunting style. Go with the pump will be much happier than having a single shot semi auto. I say this from experience. Nothing worse than spending all day tracking to jump a buck and miss with your first shot and not have a speedy second because the gun jammed. Also 243 is awful light round for deer that your shot is anything less than perfect.

Considered switching to my 870 pump with sabots. Used that setup at end of yr. Just wondering if better iron sights or red dot. Plenty of options

If you like your 870 pump you will love a 760. Same gun same stock same basic feel only have the option of long distance shots if they are presented. I shoot the carbine version with 18 inch barrel I have a 3 x 9 scope with 50 mm objective to give me as big a sight picture as possible. However used to use a peep sight but noticed many times I wanted to get a better look at a deer and changed over to a scope. At close range shooting with a scope peep or iron sights is all snap shooting anyway so not sure that makes a difference. Alot of practice with what ever you decide and you can become very proficient with running shots.

• 1 year later...

the 742 is a very nice gun ( Woodsmaster) It was designed to use the 30-06 ammo of its day and will feed military M Ball flawlessly. and regular velocity or softer pure lead or paper patched handloads with no problem.. 

The reputation that people say they jam is when they force high velocity extra hot ammo in it.

It was never designed for hot ammo and that's what will mess up any nice rifle.  

• Like 1