I'm new to this trolling with downriggers, started last year with little success. My question is

what is your opinion on the humming from the cable? Do you have it ? is it a problem?. Should I get

new cable before next season? Any input is appreciated .   Craig

I'm new to this trolling with downriggers, started last year with little success. My question is

what is your opinion on the humming from the cable? Do you have it ? is it a problem?. Should I get

new cable before next season? Any input is appreciated . Craig

Craig, it's most likely a noise created by the vibration of the cable as it is dragged through the water plus the effect of any wind. The combination creates a frequency you can hear. Unless you see visible wear on the cable I don't see a reason to replace it.

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Have heard the humming cables since 1983,  have used it years ago before the advent of trolling speed indicators being common as a sign that I was at the correct trolling speed.  A non issue as far I am concerned, still use cable and still here the hum. 

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, minion said:

Just means your at the right speed

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Many veteran trollers don't need a speed control, as many years they have been successful without the technology we have and still struggle with, their ears played a major role in their success, and that hum or tone of the rigger cable is ingrained in their head. They have been very successful with the tone or the hum!!