Nice day on the SLR

Kevin J Legg

Wouldn't keep them if I didn't eat them. They are actually very good. Not flaky like a walleye but very tasty with a finer texture that works very well in chowders but also great anyway you like. Once you learn how to fillet out the Y bones they aren't to bad to clean, especially the larger ones.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

27 minutes ago, Kevin J Legg said:

Wouldn't keep them if I didn't eat them. They are actually very good. Not flaky like a walleye but very tasty with a finer texture that works very well in chowders but also great anyway you like. Once you learn how to fillet out the Y bones they aren't to bad to clean, especially the larger ones.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

X2!! Pike are one of my favorites to eat, many guys don't know they're eating pike if there's walleyes mixed in with the pike. A Canadian old timer showed me the ropes on filleting pike. It's a multi step process but it's well worth it. There's a top cut along the top to the Y bones and from below the Y bones to where the white starts of the belly meat. Up in Quebec the locals only take from along the top to the Y bones on each side, and the rest they put in a bag? I was told they cook them off for their dogs? I've seen this on multiple trips. They never let the rest lay, so they do something with it.

Nice job kevin!
I too enjoy northern. A SLR fishing guide who is a close friend of the family..... He has always said that he prefers northern over any fish in the river. Always thought that was interesting coming from a guide who catches many species frequently.
I only began eating northern regularly when I took up ice fishing. I see his point.....It is a mild, firm, tasty fish. Whats not to like?!!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Hey thanks for the input I'll have to give them a try next time I catch one. I've also heard pickerel are good eating too. Just reel boney. I've caught many of them in the small lakes and ponds near where I live but never tried eating them. Thanks for the insight.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I agree with ya there Kevin, as the bigger ones give a nice, real nice strip of solid meat from the top to the Y bones. One side can give off a lot of meat, then the same on the other side!! I usually cut that long thick pieces in half the long way or if it's got big shoulders I cut into 3 strips the long way then cut them into chunks, beer batter, I like the batter a little thinner than normal so you get a good tast of the fish and not so thick of batter. Then deep fry in peanut oil!! Man that's good eating there!!

The piece of meat below the Y bones is bigger and easy to take off.  If you fry fish you don't even have to worry about the Y bones on big fish (in the 30's) as the meat shrinks a little while being cooked the bones stick out and can be used as tooth picks to hold while taking the meat off with your teeth,,,,jk