Fishing Drones

larry

I am a tech guy and I have to say I feel like this is crossing a line.  I don't mind most of the electronics we have because they are passive.  They tell us what is underneath the water or the temp and speed we are going but they don't themselves find the fish or provide the solution to hooking the fish.  That is still the skill and art we need to master as fisherman and hobbyist.  According to another article about this thing it says it can detect fish from some distance away and move to those fish.  This thing chasing fish down and all but dropping the bait in their mouth is just to much.  

Going fishing is going to be like playing a video game at this rate.   Can you imagine a United States vs. Canada tournament on the lake in the year 2100 where there are no actual boats on the water?

5 minutes ago, BlueEye said:

Going fishing is going to be like playing a video game at this rate.   Can you imagine a United States vs. Canada tournament on the lake in the year 2100 where there are no actual boats on the water?

Only good thing is no boat no blow days:)

It already feels like playing video games, last time I was ice fishing with a pal of mine he had a sweet Aqua view camera, I couldn't feel the fish bite but on the camera it was and we killed some big perch...... Times are a changing.... Woody

Just got a drone for Christmas. Flew it twice. The next 5 days I spent trying to get it from 75 feet up in a cottonwood tree. Thank goodness I still need my fishing skills!.....to get it down! Surf rod to the rescue! Wind sucks though. Took 300 casts and several hundred 3 and 4 oz. Sinkers and some old lug nuts and plumbing pieces launched up there to get it on the right branch....200 feet of paracord and 200 feet of 1/2 inch rope!
I'll use mine for ice fishing...deliver beers to friends with gps coordinates. Take a picture of their smiling faces and fish and scare off the eagle at hemlock when he tries to snatch my fish off the ice again!
[emoji38]

Sent from my SM-N900P using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Could have taken 5 minutes and cut the tree down.

True enough! I thought ery seriously about it...but the work in carrying all the wood out of that spot behind the barn in swampy spot would have been too much. No good access to it and the best fell would have put it on neighbors property over a creek. It was my own miscalculation while flying a predetermined flight. It uses meters in elevation rather than feet. I just didn't convert proper and flew right into the tree top. 15 meters going to way point 2 at 25 meters 300 meters away....tree in the middle...75 feet...maybe 21 or 22 meters tall!...crash!
Anyway the tree still lives! Lol..

43 minutes ago, skipper19 said:

True enough! I thought ery seriously about it...but the work in carrying all the wood out of that spot behind the barn in swampy spot would have been too much. No good access to it and the best fell would have put it on neighbors property over a creek. It was my own miscalculation while flying a predetermined flight. It uses meters in elevation rather than feet. I just didn't convert proper and flew right into the tree top. 15 meters going to way point 2 at 25 meters 300 meters away....tree in the middle...75 feet...maybe 21 or 22 meters tall!...crash!
Anyway the tree still lives! Lol..

Remember Mark, history repeats itself.  Cutting the tree down could keep you from doing this again!

I am a fan of electronics and always enjoyed the technical aspect and new technology that is offered to us as fisherman. Owning a Fish hawk X4D and the latest in sonar / chart plotting technology has me at an advantage as it is but still requires skill to run gear and experiment. I really see this as silly and not respectful to the sport. That being said for research of a species as well as preservation and understanding the environment the fish call home it would be nice tool for a marine biologist to have at his / her disposal. 

My problem is this is kind of like playing chess online where the computer make all your moves and you just throw your arms up in victory.  Not skill needed, no learning about what you are chasing and why they are at the location they are during each season or weather pattern.  Just automating a hobby.  Sad thing is like most games you have cheat codes for, after the initial rush of being unbeatable you lose the fun of playing the game.  The challenge of getting better is what drives a lot of our pursuits in life.

19 minutes ago, pvelyk said:

My problem is this is kind of like playing chess online where the computer make all your moves and you just throw your arms up in victory.  Not skill needed, no learning about what you are chasing and why they are at the location they are during each season or weather pattern.  Just automating a hobby.  Sad thing is like most games you have cheat codes for, after the initial rush of being unbeatable you lose the fun of playing the game.  The challenge of getting better is what drives a lot of our pursuits in life.

Very well said. 

I like my online fishing apps but nothing could ever replace replace the real thing. Nothing beats a fight with rod n reel in hand. Pure adrenaline. A robotic filet machine with a laser eye would be nice tho ! 

I think the hydro wave is pretty controversial as well. Puts out frequency's that "turn on" fish.

Edited by moonfish

A lot of great replies and insight on this topic got me thinking of the other implications that this tech could have on legal, ethical and sporting issues.

1. How many drones could an angler run in NYS?

2. Would you need a license to operate? Opportunity for a money grab.

3. It doesn't fly so if not the FAA setting the rules would it be the Coast Guard, the Navy, DOT,TSA?

4. Will tournaments allow their use?

5. Could you have the drone cross the border and fish and remain in the US.

6. Could you spy on other anglers to find out what they're using or scare their fish away...

Just so many ways to use and mis-use this tech 

My glass is half full.  I don't see this is as bad.  I keep running scenarios thru my head and I don't seem too anxious over this thing.  Besides the fact it is over rated, I don't think anyone will be able to use anything like this for evil and remain legal.  Maybe I can just see the benefit of searching for items under water.

Evil to me would be a terrorist using it in conjunction with an explosive device - now let your minds wander. 

Good idea there BS, if your in a tournament and the sonar shows a big school with big hooks you could send the drone down with a stick of TNT with a electronic cap release the TNT light off the stick, wait for the fish to float to the surface. Then just drive around with your net and scoop em up and head to the weigh station. You could pay off the drone but quickly!!! LOL

I like Larry's #6!....I'm sending my drone to go spy on a Yankee Troller boat.
That boat has secrets to be exploited! Now that could really ruin the fishery...
However the crew of this boat could very well be the next cover story of
Victoria's Secret Lures catalogue [emoji7][emoji41]

28 minutes ago, skipper19 said:

I like Larry's #6!....I'm sending my drone to go spy on a Yankee Troller boat.
That boat has secrets to be exploited! Now that could really ruin the fishery...
However the crew of this boat could very well be the next cover story of
Victoria's Secret Lures catalogue emoji7.pngemoji41.png

Now that's the best idea I've heard of yet!! But kick it up a notch, have the Victoria's Secret models as first mates aboard!! Why you would have to book a trip a year or two ahead!! LoL, then Rick wouldn't have all that stress to fill the fish cooler, I doubt the guys would even care if they caught a fish!!  :lol: