New Depth Raider

I have been reading up on the correct install of the DR and have some more questions. When using the Walker Terminator with the black's release, do you use the release to connect the probe? Do you hook the lighter gage wire to the bottom of the probe and then to the cannonball? If you do how do you run an additional release off the downrigger? Is it run below the probe? I have been running a Fishhawk unit for the past 5 years and we run a Black's release above the probe. If anyone lives in the Rochester area and has this set-up, maybe I can swing by and take some pictures for clarification. Man I feel dumb...

John

If you go to the GL Angler web site and look under the photo section there is a thread entitled "Sub Troll Connection" that has good pic's of the set up you are looking for. Was featured in the GL Angler magazine also a while ago.

That set up works great, mine is set up that way with a black's release above the DR.

DAN

Dan,

Thanks for the link but it doesn't show that the probe is removable. I walked down the dock last night and all the charters that are running them have the probe permanently attached. Is there a link to a removable probe one?

John

Photo above is how my DR is rigged and I remove it after each trip. Has worked down to 125' w/out a problem.

The key is installing the Black's release above the terminator inline on the cable. LongLine had a thread a few years back w/photo's showing the install which is pretty easy and works great.

Basically, before you rig up the terminator slide a piece of plastic tubing (WD-40 tube) up the cable. If the release has the heavy wire running thru it just snip it with shears so you can slide the release up over the tubing. Using a couple of crimps ( I bastardized mine from a couple of 10 ga. wire terminals), crimp them lightly onto the tubing in between the holes on the release and one above the release to keep it from sliding up. My release is about 2" above the loop you make with the cable.

Hard part is getting the crimps tight enough to hold under tension - too little and the release slides up under tension, too much can damage the cable.

Wish I had photo's, it's much easier than it sounds. DAN

Probably should have noted that I terminated directly to a Black's release instead of a snap (as above - picture from GLA). In my opinion, it is important to have the release above the probe. Terminating to a Black's keeps the conductive material to a minimum. Since then I have switched to Scotty pinch-pad releases. The shaft of the Black's give me a great spot to hook the snap of the Scotty's.

As Irish said, here's how I did my Sub-T:

BLACKSONSUBTlgt.jpg

Also, if you use a wire terminal, overwrap it then squeeze it to a smaller diameter. Don’t just crimp it. You don’t want to cut/kink cable.

wireterminal.jpg

Tom B.

(LongLine)

I have a mine hooked up (from ball up) Ball, Blacks release (the one with a metal clip/hoop coming out of the top of it) is connected to the ball then I have two "Klincher" terminal connectors attached on each end of a piece of the bare cable with a large swivel on each end and that goes to the top of the Blacks release (small round loop) and the other to the bottom of the probe, then the top of the probe is attached to the coated cable with another "Klincher" terminal connector. Easy to disconnect probe from ball at any time.

I'll try to post a pic later of it.

I don't understand why you run the blacks release above the probe? Any reason/advantage to that :? :?:

Thanks for all the input guys. Sponge do you un-bolt your probe from your terminator connection after each use to remove it? I wired it a little different so I hope it works this weekend. I'll let everyone know and post if all is well.

John

Tom

My release above probe:

1. My probe rigger on a swivel base. I swivel it forward to load line into release. Lower a little then swivel aft, then lower all the way down. When swiveling aft, the probe may spin a couple times. (depends on waves & how much of a hurry I'm in) Anyways it can catch the down line of my rod and wrap it around the cable. :$

2. I keep my weight in the water all the time. Keeps it from swinging - banging hull, stressing cable, stressing mount. Therefore a little less reach overboard to load the release. (beneficial to solists)

3. A little less drag on the lead to the weight which may or may not help keep the probe horizontal, down deep.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

John,

The Blacks release has a clip built in. The probe can be removed after each trip. A 10-32 stainless bolt just fits through the opening.

aVT5WnJ.jpg

As Tom mentioned, you WILL get tangles if your release is below the probe (I did anyway). Also, the release is easier to reach if it is above the probe.

My .02 anyway.

I see :) I have had a few tangles but few and far between. I just don't like the idea of it attaching it and pinching down on the cable right above in fear of it busting off "above" the probe :shock: :x ;(

I lift my Scotty's or sometimes swivel the arms to the side to attach the line anyways so that doesn't matter.

I use the Walker clincher set up as shown in Sponge's photo, and a Blacks release above it just like Longline has shown, and remove the DR probe after each trip..... readings with 200 feet of cable out with no problems..

Jim S.