Have to agree with muskiedreams here. I see some of the responses claim the fish wasn't handled / measured... then how do they know it was 35lb?

When I see all the snow on that fish, it is also concerning. Why? Because if temps below freezing, the fish's gills can freeze which kills them. They can't breath. The gills tend to be very delicate on ALL fish and pulled out into sub-freezing temps can cause a lot of damage, believe it or not.

Why not just pop it up off in the hole with a hookout or a pair of pliers? Probably because they wanted the pic (LOL)

On January 10, 2017 at 11:40 AM, justtracytrolling said:

Steve I agree with you 100%, but I didn't want to be crucified for saying it!!! The optics are bad and it gives people ideas, and more than anything why stress the fish anymore than necessary when the season is closed. Steve and I didn't make the rules. The rules are real and they are meant for everyone!! Every year I tire of people targeting spawning walleye because they are too lazy to earn their hero shots.

Justin Okrepki
NYSDEC licensed guide #7324
http://www.otiscolakeguideservice.com/
(607)-349-1750

I can't say or agree more with Justin!! Out of season to me is hands off!! If it were hunting season what does the "season is closed mean" I'm sure you don't sit in your stand with a tranquilizer gun shoot the big buck run down the tree get a pic, and get back in your stand and wait for the next monster to come through? If it's out off season such as bass, you can catch huge females with no talents at all. I call it stupid fishing, you cast anywhere close to the nest and you've got a fish on,  meanwhile the thousands of gobys are have a feast on her eggs while the male tries to save what's left of the nest, there's even proof that the male bass will actually die from exhaustion fighting off the gobys.  About ten years ago I was fishing for eyes, nothing was going on so we went to a place where we do good for perch, unknown to us this area a little to the west of where we were is a spawning area for bass, soon a personal watercraft approached us and you know how I feel about those things!! Well it was the fish commission, he boards our boat looks in all the livewells that had nothing in. He checks out the boat and us for our licenses. Then he asked us to move further away so we didn't bother the spawning grounds. Now we have way more interferences with fish spawning then ever with many different species and they allow catch&release with the bass.WTF my uncles bass fish a lot and they have seen a big decline in population, because they don't even see them on their finders. Certainly one could argue this issue, they need to change tactics, there deeper now ect,ect but catch & release is not going to benefit the fish or the fisherman unless your proud to take a pic of a fish out of season. My personal best eye I caught, was when I was brown fishing, she stayed in the water till I took the only hook that she had, 1-2 more head shakes I would have never seen her, and she was loaded with eggs, I'm sure she went about her business. No pics. Just get her back where she belongs. I had a chance to show people a 12-13# eye, but it's no trophy to me, she's out of season. Kind of like getting a buck mounted that one shoots at night.  :envy:

I don't think he was referring to the actual picture quality when he refers to the optics. I think he's referring to the message that can be mistakenly perceived from seeing that photo posted - i.e. that it's ok to target muskie through the ice and out of season so long as they are not kept - a possibility for both the unaware and/or unethical. 

This is the real problem...if people are targeting the fish out of season or think it's ok. By the size of that hole in the ice, it looks like that's a possibility here. The St Lawrence muskie population is struggling now too, so that would be a shame if people were really targeting them through the ice.

If an angler accidentally catches a nice fish out of season, I thinks it's reasonable for them to want a picture as long as the fish is released safely. I could see the DEC or whoever changing that part of the law, like the link posted in this thread suggested.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

"Anyhow, did you see the size of the hole behind him? It looks like he was hoping for a big fish! "

Hey Silver Fox. Did it ever occur to you that he had to enlarge a smaller hole to get that big fish out.Look at that picture again. I would hate to have you on a jury.

The point is the fish shouldn't have been pulled out at all! Most people who target muskies, and yes I realize this particular angler wasn't, want a pic of their catch and that is their trophy. Allowing the closed season hero shots makes it impossible for the DEC to enforce the closed season. All anyone needs to say is it was an accidental catch and they can fish for muskies year round. If the pics are illegal the cheaters can't post their hero shots so they have no reason to fish the closed season as showing off their pic gets them caught.

Justin Okrepki
NYSDEC licensed guide #7324
http://www.otiscolakeguideservice.com/
(607)-349-1750

This angler is a former student of mine and a good fisherman and sportsman. He has caught plenty of trophy fish and knows the proper way to handle and release them. I'm certain he released and handled this great fish with care. I've been criticized for keeping (legally caught) fish on this forum and thus seldom post photos or share information anymore. It's easy to judge an individual by a single photo without knowing the entire story. I certainly do agree that released fish should be handled with great care.

I also believe C&R fish should be handled with care.  I also believe more needs to be done to protect the SLR musky population.  Why not shorten the season, make regulations that they can not be brought into the boat?   That being said, would I have taken a photo of that same fish?  You bet.  Would I have posted or let it be posted on the internet?  Nope.  I look at this the same as targeting muskies or other fragile species in the hottest parts of the summer.  It is not good for the fish but WE ALL still do it. 

One thing we can all agree upon is this is a fragile fishery and needs protection. All fish caught have a chance of mortality summer or winter. Even when fish are handled correctly there is no easy way of knowing if it actually survived. Actually I feel Ice fishing released fish may survive better due to cold temperatures ( assuming fast release with no freezing) . The ice also supports their weight if not lifted vertically. I certainly don't feel this fish was targeted. I've ice fished the river 40 year and caught 1 Muskie through the ice but incidentals do occur. There were many assumption made about the catching, weighing, targeting, etc. of this fish. I certainly understand people's concerns. However, I know the fisherman and believe he would do whatever possible to ensure the survival of the fish, but I too was not a witness. It's easy for all of us to judge others and be passionate about a sport we love.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

I agree hanging this fish to weigh it would be bad. However, just because it says it was 35 pounds doesnt mean he actually weighed it on a scale. I didnt see that it said the fish was actually weighed, but I may have missed it. Theres lots of guys out there that estimate or claim weights of fish they catch without actually weighing them. Especially with muskies that are released. Im not trying to support what may or may not have happened either. Just an observation.