Considering new Hunting Clothes

Considering new Hunting Clothes

I'm looking to invest in some good warm, reliable hunting clothes. I'm checking out all the name brands such as Sitka, Nomad, First Lite. Today I stumbled across a couple new name (to me anyway). Does anyone have any experience with Plythal or Kryptek? These brands are an investment so any help is appreciated. Also comments on the other mentioned brands.

Thanks!

I really like sitka gear.  Started using their stuff 5 or 6 years ago hunting out west, and started building up my whitetail gear from them the past few years.  For deer hunting, the fanatic and fanatic lite sets really cant be beat.  Really good quality clothing, but $$.  Luckily I have a hookup where I pay half price.  I always layer with merino wool base layers underneath.

As for base layers, first lite merino and kuiu merino-blend are very good.  First lite is probably more comfortable, but shrinks and isnt as durable, especially during a 10-day elk hunt in the rockies.  Kuiu is a little cheaper, more durable, doesnt shrink, but isnt 100% merino. 

1 hour ago, slipbob said:

I love my Cabela's berber bibs, vest, and jacket.  It's bulky but as warm as it gets for sitting in a tree hours on end when it's real cold. 

I recently purchased Cabela's wooltimate fleece. The shoulders and sleeves were tight in my normal size so I sent them back and ordered the next size up. The overall garment was too big and the arms were still tight. ( No ... I'm not built like Popeye)    :lol: . This isn't the first time I've had a Problem with Cabelas sizing

I was in your position end of October and did a lot of research and put in some miles checking out gear. I was sick of cutting my hunts short coming home cold and empty handed.
(Background) I stand hunt WNY only for deer. I don't walk much and my distance to stand is usually less then 500 yards to stand.
I purchased the Cabelas's stand hunter jacket and bibs this year. I was worried about the weight , and the wool collecting burns. The weight proved to be unnoticeable. The wool didn't collect burns like I thought. Extremely quiet and extremely warm with simple base layer. First morning I woke up with snow on my lap half hour past shooting light. Sitka gear is awesome but expensive, but very very light. From what I've found Sitka gear runs a size small and works great for guys who like to move and hunt. If that makes sense? I vote Cabelas stand hunter.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Interesting comment on the Sitka Gear. I still hunt some but mostly hunt stands same as you. How was the fit with the Cabelas Stand Hunter?

1 hour ago, gametime said:

Sitka gear is awesome but expensive, but very very light. From what I've found Sitka gear runs a size small and works great for guys who like to move and hunt. If that makes sense? I vote Cabelas stand hunter.

You may way to look at the Under Armour cold gear inferred. I was originally was not a big fan of UA hunting. However the cold gear w/ inferred seems to keep me super warm late bow into gun. It's light and warm i think I paid $175 for the coat and $200 for the pants

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

For internet sakes as far as reference and comparison, the Cabelas stand hunter ran the same as my carhartt.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United mobile app

It's worth a trip to a Cabelas or a Bass pro to try clothes on. I had a set,pants and jacket, of Cabelas dry plus fleece. Lasted 20 years.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

10 minutes ago, wicked salmon said:

It's worth a trip to a Cabelas or a Bass pro to try clothes on. I had a set,pants and jacket, of Cabelas dry plus fleece. Lasted 20 years.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

This is true. I mentioned earlier in this thread I've had trouble with some garments from Cabelas (Wooltimate). The good thing with them is you can send back. That is one of the reasons I'm looking this time of year. There's no hurry for use of the clothing plus there are decent sales.

I just picked up a pair of Sitka Stratus pants and man are they nice.  Kind of mid weight and XLs were a perfect fit.  I am 5'11" and 32" inseam.  Most XLs are too long, these are spot on.  I usually just vary my long john weight for the style of hunt that I am going on.  Runnings stocks these if you want to lay eyes on some. 

• 3 weeks later...

I love my Sitka gear, if you are military, federal or state worker you can get a 40 % discount off from Leo's adventures

https://leoadventures.com

It does cost 25 a year but I think I have saved thousands off of Sitka.

Also browning hell canyon stuff is on a massive sale right now and I am told it's great stuff

http://www.wingsupply.com/browning-hells-canyon-hunting-gear-huge-savings-pants-bibs-more.html

It's been on sale for awhile so it's starting to get limited on sizes.

I love love love primaloft. Very thin and very warm

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

We all went to Cabelas stand hunter stuff for late season. If its their label they will stand behind it practically indefinitely. Not sure if that will change with the Bass Pro merger though. The stuff usually goes half price post season.

Now on the other side of the coin, what do you guys like for the "new normal", 70 degree Oct/Nov bowhunts?  Aside from just going out in baselayers, whats out there in good patterns that will be light enough to fit the bill?

Based on comments here I've checked some of the premium brands websites. It appears that Sitka, First Lite, Kyrptek, etc. all make an early season line. In addition, I follow the sales at Wing Supply and have been very happy with a variety of the Browning line they offer on sale.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
On ‎4‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 3:15 PM, bobpugh said:

If you like Sitka gear, check out www.pnumaoutdoors.com   Half the price as Sitka and similar price to Kuiu.  Lifetime guarantee and twice the vapor exchange rate as any brand on the market.  Means less cold due to sweating.  I bought the Selkirk all weather gear.  Fantastic. 

X2 I bought the Selkirk Jacket and Bibs and am very happy so far.  Waterproof, windproof and light weight.

• 1 month later...
X2 I bought the Selkirk Jacket and Bibs and am very happy so far.  Waterproof, windproof and light weight.
That Selkirk stuff looks and sounds great but is a little out of my price range@ $300 per item. Anybody know of a set of bibs/jacket you can get for under $400 ?
Read some other online reviews for Natural Gear[emoji769] Men's Winter-Ceptor Windproof Microfleece Parka and bibs anybody know about those ?

Sent from my VS988 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...