LEXA HD-400 Series Musky Reels

LEXA HD-400 Series Musky Reels

Hi guys - I'm looking outfit a rod this year for my crankbaits.  Just wondering if anyone has ever used or tried the LEXA HD-400 series (specifically the PWR-P 5.1:1).  I'm weighing this option against Shimano's Tranx.  I can compare specs but wanted some feedback from anyone who has actually used the product.

https://www.amazon.com/Daiwa-LEXA-HD400PWR-P-Bait-Casting-Black/dp/B01DWVB0P2

LEXA_400HD.jpg

Look at the the lexa 300lc too...Casting and trolling with the same real! I've nearly bought the tranx several times and haven't heard any feedback from anyone I know. If anyone pulls the trigger on one give your impressions please

Justin Okrepki
NYSDEC licensed guide #7324
http://www.otiscolakeguideservice.com/
(607)-349-1750

I personally love my Tranx.  I purchased the PG model last year and have never had an easier time throwing bucktails.  Major concerns most people have with this reel are:

• The physical size of the reel being too big:  I could see the size being difficult to work with if you hold the reel while retrieving, but I am a fore grip person and have no problems with the size being cumbersome or getting in the way.
  • The weight being too heavy:  I am solely using this reel for bucktails and rubber baits...items that do not cause you to "work" the baits a lot.  The weight is not a factor for my setup.  I would not want such a heavy reel for jerkbaits though!
  • Cost:  Thank you bass pro credit card points!

--Joe

I run the 500 HG, it's an absolute game changer for rubber and ripping cranks. I usually reel left handed so baits like gliders can be tricky when I'm using it but it is nice for big dive and rise baits. Bucktails are fine just don't reel too fast or they fly out of the water

Thanks for sharing Mike - I haven't seen those before.  I bought a couple Okumas two years ago with the line counter on them and love them.  For someone like me that casts and trolls, it was a great option.

Chad- here's my experience with my Lexa HD....

I bought it the week it came out. I was playing with it before I put line on and it had a slight rough spot every time the handle would get to a certain position. Once I put braid on it, you couldn't tell where the spot was anymore.

On my fourth trip with it, the line guide started getting stuck to one side rendering it useless. Sent it to daiwa and they replaced a bearing and a few parts. I got it back and started putting line on it.... Line guide stuck again! Sent it back, this time daiwa fronted for next day shipping because I wasn't super pleased about the situation.

I got it back and now the reel screams when you cast. From what I've read it is just a dry bearing....but super annoying....

As for the actual reel performance, I love it! It's very comfortable to handle, feels solid, I love the big handle/knob. I like a fast reel and this is the only option for a lefty (until the tranx 301/401 comes out).

After my trip next week I'll be sending it out to get serviced, sell it, and pick up a tranx in the spring. Heck, maybe I'll keep it, I do like it now that all the kinks are worked out.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

My cousin just got one, I really like it. I have a Long Ranger I use for smaller bucktails and lots of other baits, I really like the rod.The Big Dawg I checked out which is basically the Pouder big rubber rod and that rod is too stiff, the big nasty is real nice for bigger blades and rubber etc. 

I appreciate the offer but I'm in Ohio, but I used my cousins and like it, the problem is it's one piece and since it's 9ft it barely fits in the trucks cab and has to ride in the boat, I prefer rod that telescope so i can fit them in my rod locker of my Ranger, I can fit an 8'3 rod without collapsing it and longer ones if the do collapse, A Tackle Industries rod is also on my list plus alot cheaper than the big nasty and comes in split grip telescope, so does the Compre and I think Tooth Tamer makes a telescoping rod. So many choices.