1st year of the ESLO Derby?

scobar

1st year of the ESLO Derby?

Trying to remember that year. They had the grand prize at Olcott NY a Grady white  (I think) all rigged with a truck to pull it......I didn't win it but had a lot of fun since then, I want say to 1982ish???. Anyway been in it every year since and still looking for the grand prize 

LETS HOPE FOR 2017!

Edited by scobar
wrong year

Not sure of the first year but one of my customers in 1985 or 86 won a Grady White fully decked out ,no truck.

Yeah there was a few years with crazy prices in the spring when every boat was within 50' of water and planner bds out both sides, needed a good captin

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I ran into an older gentleman at the launch in Barcelona a couple years ago that told me he won it in 1983 with a 43# king. That's a beast!

Edited by DJ 717

That spring fishing was fun back then, green water and all the fish in close and all the boats running double big boards, made things interesting to say the least.

Edited by scobar
add more txt

Rev Modish won the 1st derby with a 5 Lb something fish.  There were only 5 salmon caught & entered.  His prize was a 14 ft aluminum boat with small motor & trailer which he donated to his church.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

• 1 year later...

I won 8000 cash and a fully loaded sea nymph. For a 25lb 8 oz brown in the  eslo long ago we placed in it 11 times always from shore fished oswego and fair haven. Our record was 76 hrs of straight. Fishing from the pier. Non stop. Great to b young

On 1/13/2017 at 9:16 PM, scobar said:

1976 it is!!

• Like 3

What memories from the past on ESLO, Dick S was a nice guy, always a pleasure to see when he came into a fishing shop I worked at as a kid. Heck, I was so Gaga over that SeaNymph prize that I could never win, went out and bought one!

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

Those were some really fun times....I used to get so excited the night before I couldn't get to sleep at all so I just rigged equipment and sharpened all my hooks all night and about half way through the day I was burned out. Spent a few days sitting on the tailgate of my F150 on Grieg Street in Sodus Point drinking a beer and BSing with other fishermen because the wind was so bad we couldn't get out in my 13 ft boat. I still laugh when I remember a comment made by one of the guys at the Point when he observed my buddy who was about 6 ft 5 standing up in my little boat.... he said" Geez you should just hook a sail to him and you wouldn't even need a trolling motor":lol:

Edited by Sk8man
  • Like 1

I remember my first eslo derby , it was  the year they had the grady up to win. a friend took me down there in his 16 foot boat we put in at Olcott  the cars with boats were backed up across the bridge, took hours to get in the water I said I would never do this again this was nuts. we hooked up with a big king and lost it at the boat. I was hooked. I well never forget that fish, it  cost me around $100,000 in gear and boats jut to yell fish on. I would do it all over in a heart beat and still do. come on spring !!