1st year of the ESLO Derby?

scobar

On 1/12/2017 at 8:03 PM, jilou1ow said:

1976 and a Baptist minister won it with maybe a 23 #king. Hundreds of boats in every conceivable size and shape. 

It was 1976, the man's name was James Modlish, he was the minister at First Bible Baptist Church on North Greece Road, he won it with a Coho, he caught it on a Silver Looter flutter spoon.  My father fished with him later that spring, my first Lake Ontario fishing experience was in  June of 1977 on his new boat "Silver Looter".  That day my father caught a 16# Brown Trout, my biggest that day was 6#.  I was 10 years old and I was hooked.  And now you know the rest of the story.......

Edited by Captain Carl Bish
  • Like 2

uploads%2Fmonthly_2017_01%2FIMG_1484353149.996468.thumb.jpg.a08ce32eb4f75d4df292f24480575bbf.jpg

Vince is Correct... I have saved most of the ESLO stickers and Patches, plus a few hats. Jerry

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Awesome!!
I have a hat at home I got as a door prize when I was like 10. Old style “trucker hat”.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

During one of them during the eighties I caught a 26 lb and change king and didn't have a scale in the boat and with the adenalin rush I thought it must be at least 30 lbs :lol: and puilled up everything and ran into the weigh station at Sodus and when it was weighed I noticed the leader board and it didn't even make the board that time :lol: There were some true hogs being caught back then....

Edited by Sk8man
  • Like 1

We were on fairhaven pier on our 48th hour of straight fishing there were 2 dec guys taking a creel census the watched us catch and release a 15 and 16 pound brown i think  had to be 17 to get on the board. They parked the boat ahad lunch with us saw us catch the 25 12 brown. They put it onthe scale they had and it bottomed it out. Tried to get a ride in they couldnt do it legally. A nice guy with a small boat gave me a ride in. He had a place on the bay. When i picked up my brown trout prize a fully loaded sea nymph and a load of cash there was also a tackle  LOADED with lures. I gave that guy the lures and box.  Since i never troll and never will. Old school 4 me lolHe was speechless. Saw him a few more years in a row out there but lost coontact with him when i switched to the fingerlakes derbys. Many great year on lake o

• Like 1

Cool story Bill. I think your son has picked up your skills and abilities too. A lot to be said for "old school" as we both know.:yes:

On 5/6/2018 at 6:40 PM, Bill ryan said:

Sk8man cayuga derby 19th and 20th out of bears bait in trumansburg good derby. The fishing on cayuga has been some of the best ive ever seen in my 63 years. Bows browns salmon lakers are filled with golbies

The boats use to come out   haven  weather permiting. Thats why we shore fishno weather would stop us. Had many good days when boats couldnt get out

Thanks for the info Bill just saw it. Unfortunately I'm tangled up with family stuff then (wedding) or I'd be joining you :) Best of luck but then again...you guys don't usually need it:lol:

• 3 years later...

A friend of mine won the spring derby maybe 1979 

Got it on a 1/3 oz Cleo 5 ft down on a rigger and ultra light with 6# test  at the Oak off the ladders in 15 ft. . I think it was 17# . He was sleeping while his father was driving the boat . He played it out , netted it , and when they were bringing  it over the side , it went thru the netting . But they managed to land it  . Won a new Hydro Sports boat . 

Selden Beebe. RIP. 

• Like 1

I think the 1st Spring ESLO I fished was 1979 with my 16’ StarCraft and 3 buddies.  We pretty much had no clue what we were doing.  Sent two of the guys up to weigh a fish while me and the other guy held the boat off the concrete wall on the Genesee River.  The guy who caught the fish comes back PO’d that they kept his fish. I go up to see what was going on and come to find out the guy was in 2nd place.  A fair amount of beer had lead to the confusion and by the end of the Derby he finished 1 place out of the money.  A lot of good times and stories from those days.

I was 17 my first derby . We threw Cleo's off the piers . Had no clue what we were doing . Bought a 17 ft wood boat and outfitted it with 2 Riviera manuals and a flasher depth finder . Ran stickbaits close to shore mostly. 

Spring was 4 days . Boat launches were backed up 20 cars . 

Fishing was more fun back then . There was a mystique to it that is long gone for me . A 21 ft boat was big back then . Look at the equipment / boats we have now .

It's on the verge of unfair chase . 

• Like 1

It sure was a blast back then, every boat was inside 100' and each one was 175' wide with big boards off mast on them all. You needed a good driver to maneuver through the crowd, turning around was even more fun, then throw a fish or two ripping around, yahoo!!