Lead core spooling thoughts

Good Day, was just playing around with my reels. I fish Keuka mostly, and will have two lead core setups. One is shallow, three colors. The second I was thinking of adding some flexibility.

I have a fresh 10 color 832 12lb going on a Tekota 500 lc. I was going to run:

5 colors

20' of braid

2 colors

20' of braid

2 colors

Backing

This way I can set up 5, 7, 9 colors off boards with the clip pads on the braid.

Any issues?

Thanks, Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Well it sounds good in theory but, normally you would run say 2 or 3 colors on 1 reel. You want your 2-3 colors of lead core in the water, than another 100-150 feet of mono behind it. And say a five color with 100 feet back. So your 20ft if backer isn't going to work. So if you go with 3 colors you will have 90ft of LC in the water with say 15 ft of backer would 105ft back. Only 15ft of backer isn't going to let the core settle into its depth, especially  your deeper cores, with only 20ft of backing and with the broken up pieces in there.

Most guys use a heavier mono for backing I use 20# Trilene big game to relieve the shock of the fish as there's no stretch in leadcore or in braid. You could get away with braid by setting the drag lighter. With the 20ft of backer in between colors, I think they would act alone and not all one, your going with 5 then 2 then 2 again, now these colors are broken up with 20ft if braid. It's not going to act like a true 7 or a true 9 with 150, 200 ft of mono out so the whole piece of lead core that is getting wavey in the water by the natural water currents. We use line counters for this very reason if a 7 color with 175ft backer out and the others at say 150 are getting hits then that outfit will come into the 150ft mark. The most important thing is when using LC reels is that they are full so the numbers are close to the same. Especially if the set backs are the key to success. Hope this makes sense?? PAP

Pap, what I'm thinking with you response is more of the lures distance behind the boat rather then lead core sinking deeper with the further set back. It may gain a couple feet of depth but I doubt much more then that. But hey you have confidence it works so run with it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I used much the same system that you propose in Keuka Lake. I had 27 pound leadcore line interspersed with 30 foot mono sections. I used 27 pound test because it has many more grains of lead ( that is how the lead is measured) and it will sink faster than the 12 pound stuff. having only one or two leadcore  rods on board is much easier to deal with on a small boat. On Keuka lake you can very successfully fish with leadcore and live bait going at different speeds to regulate your depth. On the way back in you can use the leftover sawbellies  to troll along the weed beds over about 20 feet of water at 14 feet. You will add pike to your creel.

So your saying that a 5 color 27# I figure it at 5' per color at 2mph that you'll reach 25 ft with horizontal core in the water with a 20ft lead and you will achieve 35 ft with a 5 core a twenty foot of mono and 2 more colors added?

Pap , I agree that 5 colors will sink more when they are farther away from the boat,but not by much, it has just too much water resistance to go much deeper without additional weight in the water.. Leadcore sinking rate is measured with the color just at the surface or just under it. It will not be horizontal unless you pick up a lot of speed.the reason why I used the 30 foot lengths of mono is because I found out that leadcore and clips do not mix, So I clip the line on the mono.But the moment the core hits the water it will start sinking and I do believe that the 7 colors will reach the 35 foot although it will be a tiny bit less because of the mono resistance in the water. The length of the mono was decided by the distance that the boards were away from the boat. I learned all these things the hard way in my first boat ,a 1957 Herters 16 footer with a 1957 35 horse Johnson. These boats did not have a lot of space in them,but I think that I loved that boat more than any of the others that came after it.

Edited by rolmops

4 minutes ago, rolmops said:

Pap , I agree that 5 colors will sink more when they are farther away from the boat,but not by much, it has just too much water resistance to go much deeper without additional weight in the water.. Leadcore sinking rate is measured with the color just at the surface or just under it. It will not be horizontal unless you pick up a lot of speed.the reason why I used the 30 foot lengths of mono is because I found out that leadcore and clips do not mix, So I clip the line on the mono. The length of the mono was decided by the distance that the boards were away from the boat. I learned all these things the hard way in my first boat ,a 1957 Herters 16 footer with a 1957 35 horse Johnson. These boats did not have a lot of space in them,but I think that I loved that boat more than any of the others that came after it.

LoL it's not that I don't have the room it's the extra$$$ I don't have so my way of doing it I have the reels loaded and I switch out rods, my rigger rods become LC rods. Most not everyone on Erie runs lead core and the set backs so the whole core is coming through the water like a snake and up & down with the currants, and most eye fisherman on Ontario do the same. Our set backs are also to get the baits away from the boat. If it's working for you, who am I to say it's not right. Tight lines to you. Stay warm. Spring can't get here any sooner for me!!

11 minutes ago, pap said:

LoL it's not that I don't have the room it's the extra$$$ I don't have so my way of doing it I have the reels loaded and I switch out rods, my rigger rods become LC rods. Most not everyone on Erie runs lead core and the set backs so the whole core is coming through the water like a snake and up & down with the currants, and most eye fisherman on Ontario do the same. Our set backs are also to get the baits away from the boat. If it's working for you, who am I to say it's not right. Tight lines to you. Stay warm. Spring can't get here any sooner for me!!

I did not have the dough to even buy the extra reels. Things are better now, I use otter boats and my leadcore is farther off to the side. I have 8 leadcore rods of all different lengths on my boat and I always run them off the boards. four or six at a time. It is a lot more work and truth be told. I am not at all sure that I catch any more than with the two rods I used on my 16 footer. It does not matter, I go out for the meditation of fishing not for the catching.