Signs

Gill-T

Signs

If you know what to look for, the signs are there. On a trip down to southern tier this weekend I could not help but notice all the raptors along rte 400/16. This is a typical migration seen about mid-February. This morning I heard a Robin sound off. Starlings are fighting squirrels for tree holes as they have moved north looking for nesting sites in my yard already. The signs are pointing to an early spring. 

Boy I hope your right Gill!! I just watched the long range forecast for the NE and it's supposed to be above normal with temps in the 40's near 50 towards the later part of this week. It wouldn't hurt my feelings any. My wife's school district is on strike, a week already so kids are home. They wish it would have snowed so they could go outside and play!! They came in earlier and wanted me to snowblow the area by there basketball hoop, about 3/4" so it will melt, now tomorrow they want freezing rain then all rain. I feel bad for them. Now every holiday will be nothing because of the strike. I don't blame them for striking but they could of picked a better time. The town has given the teachers a ton of support by donating lots of food, drinks hand warmers ect. The girls have been baking so that's good but not for my waistline LOL 

late deer season i had big flocks of robins bouncing around the grass at my place . i was siting in my tree stand and had them all around me in the trees ,. i never recall any thing like that all my years of hunting deer . was talking to buddy about it and he said some time the robin is late to leave . any ways i am ready for spring .

Edited by fisherdude

16 hours ago, TileMan Dan said:

Saw a flock of long tail blackbirds in my neighbors tree this past weekend. Just thought they were lost. Still think were going to get bit a few times in the ass here in Jersey before spring really arrives.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Dan didn't you guys get hit by that last storm that blasted Maryland and the New England states, it just scraped us but Jersey I thought got hit?

I hope winter comes back with a little vengeance. I've still got a lot of fish to catch through the ice before I even think about getting the boat out.

I would rather see you get your boat out than have cold weather. You can use your ice fishing gear from the boat and pretend it's ice fishing

50 minutes ago, TileMan Dan said:

Yeah Pap we got about  6''.  All gone now $0's for rest of this week.

That sucks!! They made it sound like it was a crippling snow storm??

Yea Lucky 13 I know the feeling, I've got to put a new fuel filter and fuel line, and take the bowl off the carb of the tractor. The tractor runs as long as you keep spraying gas in the carb. So it either has water in the gas that froze the filter up or I have a bowl full of water. John Deere makes it nearly impossible to get at this stuff with out disassembling all the tin work.:@ I tied a string to the fuel line before I pulled it out, now I can attach the new line to the string and hopefully pull it back to the tank. I need to do all this before I can attach the blower. :thinking: So I'm kind of glad the weather is cooperating with me. It's nice to hear about the signs of spring, but February can be a ****!! and in March we have some of the deepest snows of the season, but the snow doesn't last!! :lol: Do any of you remember that heavy snow we got years back, it was late in March, we had days in the 60's and guys had their boats out, with their canopies up and the weight of the snow smashed them flat, it was sad. I had a 18ft center console and I litterly shoveled the snow out it was up to my knee's!!  A lot of heart broken guys with canopies, just ruined, bars bent you name it. The canopy guys were happy they made money that spring!! :swear:.  :sweating:  Here's to mild second half of winter.  :beer: :beer:  PAP.

Edited by pap

On 1/18/2017 at 4:52 PM, treedude363 said:
I  remember in Canada on the Ottawa  river in jan I was  fishing in a boat 2 weeks  later ice   fishing in same  spot

Ah, the 0ttawa river. I remember kayaking it near Algonquin park. Then in the evening dining on local pickerel which turned to be the Canadian name for walleye. What a beautiful place. It is truly a treasure to be able to come to such beauty.

Edited by rolmops

I saw two skunks that got hit one the road today it's kinda strange to see them out in January

Sent from my Z981 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Nothing exceptional about skunks in January. It's their breeding time and the young males do stupid things .

1 hour ago, LongLine said:

So I got out & raked up some of the front lawn yesterday...January 22 in Rochester???????.... probably going to get dumped on tomorrow.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

It is your fault if we do Tom!

On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 10:54 AM, rolmops said:

Ah, the 0ttawa river. I remember kayaking it near Algonquin park. Then in the evening dining on local pickerel which turned to be the Canadian name for walleye. What a beautiful place. It is truly a treasure to be able to come to such beauty.

yes I sure  do miss it living in Albany ny now u have to fish ALOT harder here get anything but  on the good  side I started striper fishing wich we didn't have in Canada