Mono backing on braid,wire & copper

UNREEL

Mono backing on braid,wire & copper

Ok, I need opinions. I just got 2 reels back from Tuna's Reel Troubles after having Dragmasters Drag upgrades. Great service and quick turnaround. One of the reels had about 150yds of braid backing that I left on after removing some old wire. There is a note on my invoice that says "Whenever using any type of braided,wire, or copper line, ALWAYS make sure you back it with at least 20 yds. Of mono backing before tying to the spool. This is CRUCIAL to how your drag system,line counters, and clickers work. We can't stress this enough!!

Does everybody or anybody do this. I use braid for backing on my coppers and wires but no mono under that. I thought the braid as backing was enough. 

Comments?

Yes, for the past few years and for the reason you stated and I've mentioned it on here in the past but many folks seems to think it is unnecessary despite the fact that Andy Copenhaver and the other folks in the Tuna shop have seen the inside of reels more than possibly anyone on the face of the Earth:) If you put braid directly on a new reel for example the spool often "slides" giving the appearance of an inoperative drag.

Yes on the 20 or 30 yds of mono first before the braid.  I like to be sure bottom of spool has a good covering of mono for the braid to lock into.   

I've put a wrap of tape on my spinning reels for over 20 years fishing braid and never had a problem. When I started trolling I continued this and still never had a problem. The line doesn't ever slip...Is there another reason to put the mono on?

Justin Okrepki
NYSDEC licensed guide #7324
http://www.otiscolakeguideservice.com/
(607)-349-1750

The mono helps reduce the internal pressure on the spool which can create undue compression and wear on the spool or other parts connected to it. I consider it "preventative maintenance" :) So far in the entire time I have been fishing with all the equipment I have I have only ever had one reel problem and that was because 7 strand wire got in the side of the spool between the side plate.....operator error:lol:

Electrical tape is not recommended either. They only suggest using mono. With that being said electrical tape is all i ever use and it has worked flawlessly every time. 

I was always told mono can crush your spool if stretched too much when spooled. Can't see how braid could ever do it, but since it's worked my whole life I doubt it's something I'll change. Also nice to know there is few other full time guys with confidence in the tape!!!

Justin Okrepki
NYSDEC licensed guide #7324
http://www.otiscolakeguideservice.com/
(607)-349-1750

Well it looks like the jury is still out on whether mono backing is needed. I have been using tape and haven't had any issues but I like Sk8man's comment on preventive maintenance. I think I'll put some mono on as I respool. Like rbochan said, who doesn't have some cheap, crappy mono lying around.